• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Result of Sleeping at the Wheel

daviderle

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
IMHO both will be an excellent vehicle choices, however adding the ES350 F-Sport to the mix may spice things up a bit, especially if driving dynamics is an important consideration, as this trim also adds the Adaptive Variable Suspension into the equation.

ifonline

Been here awhile...
Braselton, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
As best as I can decipher, the F-Sport adds some specific features not available in other trims, but it also removes some features in the Ultra Luxury that I am interested in. This is definitely a bonus for the G80 Sport because it’s the G80 Ultimate plus additional features versus the ES350 that’s more like a fork in the features roadway.

ifonline

Been here awhile...
Braselton, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Well, I've been shopping around at a few Genesis dealers (of which there aren't many in my immediate area) to get prices on the 2019 G80 Sport. It's not looking good, and that's on top of the fact that there aren't a lot of G80 Sports out there to begin with. Prices are way higher than I am going to pay, and while I got one dealer down closer to reasonable, the price they are offering is still too high. The clock is ticking on my rental and mid-February isn't the best time to be buying, just in case I needed any more pressure.

The Lexus might just be what I end up with.

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

ifonline

Been here awhile...
Braselton, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Thanks. I'll get it worked out, even if I have to extend the rental on my own dime a bit, but this really sucks. Buying a new vehicle was nowhere on my radar, and yet here I am painted in a corner.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

ifonline

Been here awhile...
Braselton, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
The rental is currently covered, but it will expire several days after the vehicle is officially declared a total loss. Anything beyond that is on me. Could I fight it? Perhaps, but the at-fault driver's insurance doesn't even have enough to cover both my vehicle and the vehicle in front of me because the G80 isn't a cheap vehicle, and that's not counting the cost of rentals and other expenses.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

ifonline

Been here awhile...
Braselton, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I too am going through my own insurance and my insurance will demand reimbursement from the at-fault insurance company, but in my case the car is a total loss, not a repair. So once the car is declared a total loss, the insurance company is done. If they were keeping my car with the intent of repairing and it took months, then I certainly have a valid argument just as you did. But in my case, a total loss means that it's over. My car is scrapped, my lease is satisfied, and I walk away with nothing.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

pa-g80-ownr

Hasn't posted much yet...
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I’m looking at two potential vehicles: 2019 Genesis G80 Sport or 2019 Lexus ES350 Ultra Luxury. Obviously with the Genesis I have a positive history, but the Lexus offers some interesting additions that the Genesis currently doesn’t have. It will boil down to the experience behind the wheel and whatever deals are available when I look.
Sorry about your accident, glad everyone is OK. before I purchased my 2018 G80 Sport I looked at a Lexus ES and GS. I never even got to the test drive because of the terrible infotainment interface. Lexus has a mouse like controller that seemed too difficult to use especially while driving. In my opinion, the combination of the rotary controller, touch screen and physical buttons on the G80 Sport is the best out there. Just my 2 cents.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

pa-g80-ownr

PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I agree the g80 jog dial and touch combo is a great interface, though it still lacks in some areas.

But having come from a Lexus RCF the touchpad interface wasn’t as bad imo as many think. If you have used a laptop in the last 20 years with a touchpad it is about the same. I never had an issue with it.
I don't think that I would have a big problem with it, but my wife doesn't like, or even use a computer at all (hard to believe in this day) so I know she wouldn't like the Lexus. And I have to keep the wife happy.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

ifonline

Been here awhile...
Braselton, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
The new controller in the 2019 ES is different, that's for sure, but I personally don't expect any challenge in using it other than a learning curve.

After having a 2018 G80, and after test driving the 2019 G80 Sport and the 2019 ES350 Ultra Luxury while trying to decide between the two, I am finding that they are generally very similar vehicles both of which have their strengths and weaknesses, with the G80 Sport leaning towards more aggressive styling and driving and the ES350 leaning towards comfort. I appreciate the folding mirrors in the G80, for example, something that the ES doesn't offer in the US. The ES, however, has a thigh extension that rolls out from the seat so that there isn't any gap between the seat bottom and the extension, whereas in the G80, the thigh extension slides out and leaves a gap. Some other similarities and differences I noted:
  1. The G80 has heated back seats, the ES doesn't. However, the ES has automatic heated and cooled front seats and steering wheel that are tied to the automatic HVAC, whereas the G80 doesn't.
  2. Both have panoramic roofs. Both have electronic rear and manual side shades.
  3. Both have automatic headlights and windshield wipers.
  4. Both have remote start, lock and unlock, etc.
  5. The G80 has push-button exterior door handles while the ES has touch-sensitive door handles (touch the outside to lock and grab the handle to unlock).
  6. The G80 has an automatic trunk that opens after three seconds of standing behind the trunk, and the ES has an automatic trunk that opens and closes by a kick of the foot under the bumper. This one in particular is of interest to me as I disabled my automatic trunk on the G80 because I park backwards in the garage and every time I went to get in the car, the trunk would alert that it was about to open. That drove me nuts.
  7. Both have dual-screen setups (one in/on the dash and one in the instrument cluster). However, the one in the G80 is touchscreen and the one in the ES is not. The one in the ES, however, is a 12.3 inch widescreen display that looks incredible and Apple CarPlay specifically is excellent on the wide screen.
  8. The HUD in the ES is bigger and displays more information.
  9. The ES is able to read limited street signs such as speed limit signs (and displays the speed on the dash as a result), stop signs, yield signs, and do not enter signs (and warns of their presence).
  10. Both have lane keep functionality. The ES, however, seems to take it a step further by not only reading lane markings but, as necessary, locating the shoulder of the roadway and locking on to the vehicle in front. As I understand it, the preference is to read markings, but absent markings, the vehicle will look for the edge of the roadway and lock on to the vehicle ahead (but won't follow it off the road or into other lanes).
  11. Both have pedestrian detection, but the ES can detect pedestrians walking across the path of the vehicle (like the G80) and pedestrians walking in the same direction as the vehicle (unlike the G80). The same is true for bicycles, which I don't believe the G80 can detect at all.
  12. Both have tilt-down mirrors when in reverse, but the ES goes a step further by also turning the mirrors in when in reverse.
  13. The ES offers in-vehicle wifi, something that I can definitely use (and it's tied to Verizon, which is my carrier of choice).
Here's the kicker: both vehicles are proving difficult to buy. For the G80 Sport, there is limited stock in limited colors (unless I want black, or black, or perhaps black). For the ES, finding the Ultra Luxury isn't easy, although they are definitely out there (and I get to pay to ship them to me). Nevertheless I sent out feelers to get numbers from three different Genesis dealers and the responses I got were shockingly bad: they all landed in the $900 range. No way will I even consider that stupidity. I was able to get one dealer down to $771 with $2,000 down, which is still an abomination considering that I have the lease numbers for my area and the calculations work out to about $695. I sat down with a dealer yesterday afternoon on a black/black G80 Sport and they too started in the $900s. They ended in the $800s and gave up when I showed them the calculated lease numbers. "No way," they said. "Good bye," I said.

I will be happy with either vehicle, but I'm not going to be taken advantage of. I have been working with my local Lexus dealer to locate a vehicle, and it looks like today will be the day to move forward with signing for a 2019 Lexus ES350. The lease calculations are better (they are offering mid $600s but I will push them a bit lower), so I expect to end up in the Lexus. The last piece of the puzzle is what to drive while I wait for the ES to arrive? I am angling for a loaner, and they have agreed to giving me one as long as the vehicle I want is available, reserved, and can be shipped within a few days. If not, then I guess I'll continue renting for a little bit.

pa-g80-ownr

PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Is there any noticeable torque steer in the Lexus? FWD setup would give more comfortable rear seating (legroom). and you may not need AWD in Georgia, but since I live in Pennsylvania, I prefer AWD. If I didn't need AWD, I'd definitely get a car with RWD though. I thought about the Lexus GS (with AWD) last year, but the back seat was too tight, so I ended up with the G80 Sport AWD. Good luck with your purchase. Let us know how you like it after you've had it for a few months.

ifonline

Been here awhile...
Braselton, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Torque steer seems controlled well except under the hardest acceleration. Even then, it’s not what I would consider bad, and it’s not something I expect to encounter normally.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums