Review

BK10

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Greetings! I can't confirm the engine dates, but it wouldn't be the first time I've heard Mar 2012, so if it were my money, I'd probably go with it. As for the transmission, I've had two Genesis models with V8s and that transmission without problems. Others may have a different experience, but aside from being a bit slow-shifting compared to the ZF 8 speed, I found them smooth and neither gave me any trouble. In fact, it was smoother than the ZF 6 speed I had in my 2010.
Not sure if it is still that way, new model years used to be introduced in September. A September build in 2012 would be a 2013 model year. You mentioned that it was a 2013 that you were originally looking at.
2013 would have the ZF8.
The engine issue was due to early use of low-friction piston rings from Germany that were a little too low friction, allowing oil blow-by. I've also read anything before March '12 was potentially suspect. Believe Hyundai replaced most of the engines, again from what I read during my research (I was originally looking at a 2012 that was for sale).
Hi there. Thanks for the info. It is indeed a 2013. I am not sure if it has ZF8 or not. I am sure you your correct. Hopefully this is a good thing ? Cheers

Aquineas

4th Genesis
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hi there. Thanks for the info. It is indeed a 2013. I am not sure if it has ZF8 or not. I am sure you your correct. Hopefully this is a good thing ? Cheers
It definitely does not have the ZF8. The ZF was only a 6 speed, and was only available for V8 models prior to 2012. In 2012, they switched to an 8 speed, in-house transmission.

RSpectnewbie

Registered Member
Ontario
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
It definitely does not have the ZF8. The ZF was only a 6 speed, and was only available for V8 models prior to 2012. In 2012, they switched to an 8 speed, in-house transmission.
Thanks for the clarification. I'd just assumed that the 8 in ZF8 meant 8 gears, my bad.

Aquineas

4th Genesis
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks for the clarification. I'd just assumed that the 8 in ZF8 meant 8 gears, my bad.
It does! But the Genesis doesn't have that transmission. The Genesis did use the ZF 6 speed in the V8 prior to 2012. Sorry for being obtuse.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums