She’s Here!

Cowtown

Registered Member
Greater Victoria, Canada
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I’ve had it in 2 cars (still have it in 1) and if the implementation is good (ie if it is seamless with smooth shut downs and re-starts, if the hardware upgrades like battery and starter are properly done etc), I think it’s a good feature and I have gotten used to sitting at stop lights in silence and peace (except for my music of course). Once I got used to how it works, I find it relaxing and appreciate every minute of lower emissions. I’m less concerned about my gas mileage - except maybe with this thirsty G70 :).
Yeah for the fuel savings I would have really liked it to be present. I was surprised and a bit disappointed that it wasn't there as well. Probably the one feature specifically that I would take if there was one more to add to the car. Even over LSD, 360 Camera or a few of the other things the Prestige and 3.3 Sport receive. I did test drive the 2.0T Elite and C300 with the stop and go and found the G70 implementation to be smoother. Both were pretty unobtrusive though, you'd get used to them fairly quickly and if you're in really hellish stop and go traffic you can just shut it off.

On a side lighter note it also leaves 2 blank buttons in the centre console for the camera and the stop/start switch and those blanks make me sad. ;-)

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yeah for the fuel savings I would have really liked it to be present. I was surprised and a bit disappointed that it wasn't there as well. Probably the one feature specifically that I would take if there was one more to add to the car. Even over LSD, 360 Camera or a few of the other things the Prestige and 3.3 Sport receive. I did test drive the 2.0T Elite and C300 with the stop and go and found the G70 implementation to be smoother. Both were pretty unobtrusive though, you'd get used to them fairly quickly and if you're in really hellish stop and go traffic you can just shut it off.

On a side lighter note it also leaves 2 blank buttons in the centre console for the camera and the stop/start switch and those blanks make me sad. ;-)
Glad to know someone else feels the same way about blank buttons!
That's one of the major reasons I didn't buy the 3.3T Sport. Removing a feature that is available in the Korean vehicle and leaving a blank button is an eyesore for me. I'm OCD about symmetry so I bought the the Prestige with all the buttons intact. There is one triangular button missing beside the trunk release but it seems like the Korean vehicles don't have it either!
I loved how the A4 drove but hated seeing all those blank buttons on it even in the Teknik trim.
The second reason was that I felt it was time to go down to a smaller turbo engine.
The button issue bugs me so much so that when we bought the 2019 Sorento in the end of August, we didn't plan on getting the SXL but it was the only model without blanks.

Beefer

Getting familiar with the group...
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
That's one of the major reasons I didn't buy the 3.3T Sport. Removing a feature that is available in the Korean vehicle and leaving a blank button is an eyesore for me. I'm OCD about symmetry so I bought the the Prestige with all the buttons intact. There is one triangular button missing beside the trunk release but it seems like the Korean vehicles don't have it either!
I loved how the A4 drove but hated seeing all those blank buttons on it even in the Teknik trim.
The second reason was that I felt it was time to go down to a smaller turbo engine.
The button issue bugs me so much so that when we bought the 2019 Sorento in the end of August, we didn't plan on getting the SXL but it was the only model without blanks.
Dude...just buy stickers. Seems a tad bit extreme...LOL.

Better yet...buy a button and make it functional...like interior led lighting or something.

steelers84

Registered Member
Good catch, eagle eye!

The S5 is a non aspirated V8 so the driving characteristics are quite different. The G70 is lighter, has a little more hp (10) but a lot more torque (50) and with the turbo, achieved at much lower rpm. It feels more agile and is likely faster by half a sec to 60. In early driving, handling feels more precise.

Both are AWD with paddle shifters and rev matching on downshifts. Brakes on both are excellent according to my seat of the pants, although with lower weight and Brembos, I would expect the G70 braking to be shorter.

The G70 is newer with more tech/features however the S5 interior is still very attractive (despite its age) and the Audi switchgear quality is fantastic and high quality.

Overall, the G70 is going to be a sweet car to drive (I hope) but it will never match the feel and sound of the S5 V8. I love that S5.
Very happy I found another S5 owner who with with the G70. I am the current owner of an S5 and will most likely make the switch to the G70, even though giving up my V8 is literally killing me. The maintenance on this thing is a fortune, and I've already done the carbon cleanup once, and I know it's a ticking time-bomb until I have to do it again, so looking to switch sooner than later.

One thing I am interested in hearing is if you have the sports differential on the S5? Mainly because it gives you control over the steering (Comfort, Auto, Dynamic, Individual), and the thing I LOVE about my S5 is that the "dynamic" steering is so heavy. I drove the Stinger and even in "sport" mode, the steering was so light compared to the S5 and felt like I had very little control over the car. It could simply be the AWD systems that both cars have with Quattro being more balanced than the G70's "RWD bias", but I am hoping for a little heavier steering than the Stinger had. Hope you enjoy the car!

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I hear ya. But seriously...you could buy the button that would go there...and wire it up to do something custom. More of a fun project I suppose. I remember doing stuff like that way back in the old days :)
I'm thinking of the turn signal fog light mod and using the triangular blank behind the steering wheel if I have to.
I have to say though that I like the Stinger AC vents better than the G70. The round ones look classier!

Beefer

Getting familiar with the group...
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm thinking of the turn signal fog light mod and using the triangular blank behind the steering wheel if I have to.
I have to say though that I like the Stinger AC vents better than the G70. The round ones look classier!
See I am completely opposite. I love a nice flow with rectangular vents.

I wrote off the S3/RS3 simply because of the round vents !!

:)

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
For those missing the auto start/stop on the 3.3T, don't! I agree in some vehicles it isn't very noticeable, but in the Stinger I found it horrible and would assume it would be bad in the G70 as well. To me it was a wonderful surprise that it wasn't in the car and a huge plus. Even though I also hate blank spaces where it looks like there should be a button... :)

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
That's one of the major reasons I didn't buy the 3.3T Sport. Removing a feature that is available in the Korean vehicle and leaving a blank button is an eyesore for me..
I'm active on an Audi forum also and the guys there are constantly complaining about the same thing. They remove features that are available in Europe and then leave a blank button.

JayceM

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Lol wow. I bet you were that salesperson's dream come true. We have an 18 Sorento SXL. I didn't even think about the buttons thing. I don't think I would even notice that but now that you've said it, I'll never be able to unsee it on any car I check out. Thanks a lot!

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Lol wow. I bet you were that salesperson's dream come true. We have an 18 Sorento SXL. I didn't even think about the buttons thing. I don't think I would even notice that but now that you've said it, I'll never be able to unsee it on any car I check out. Thanks a lot!
Oh yeah. We walked in cause I assumed the 2.0T would be available for 2019 but it wasn't. Drove a 4 cylinder. Drove the EX V6, then bought the SXL without driving it cause on the blank button situation. Easy money for the sales person!
I have to say that Volvo has sorted out this blank button issue by having essential hard buttons and and add on features are via their touch screen interface!

ikonn

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Very happy I found another S5 owner who with with the G70. I am the current owner of an S5 and will most likely make the switch to the G70, even though giving up my V8 is literally killing me. The maintenance on this thing is a fortune, and I've already done the carbon cleanup once, and I know it's a ticking time-bomb until I have to do it again, so looking to switch sooner than later.

One thing I am interested in hearing is if you have the sports differential on the S5? Mainly because it gives you control over the steering (Comfort, Auto, Dynamic, Individual), and the thing I LOVE about my S5 is that the "dynamic" steering is so heavy. I drove the Stinger and even in "sport" mode, the steering was so light compared to the S5 and felt like I had very little control over the car. It could simply be the AWD systems that both cars have with Quattro being more balanced than the G70's "RWD bias", but I am hoping for a little heavier steering than the Stinger had. Hope you enjoy the car!
If you mean Drive Select, I do not have it, but wish I did. The steering on the G70 is definitely lighter and the car overall feels lighter although I think weight is similar? I think that ‘control’ feels fine and not worse.

My S5 has fairly low mileage since it’s not my daily driver and so far I have not had to worry about any carbon issues. Is that what I have to look forward to??

In the meantime, I’ll enjoy both cars depending on what mood I’m in!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.