Something is draining my battery!!!

G-799527

The rubber bumper plug can also not be the right size. I suspect mine has shrunk with age and isn't depressing the switch correctly.

G-666151

Hi Ron,

Do you have the name of the rubber part and where to purchase. Or what it's name is. My daughter has been having this problem for a while now. Or do you know of any photos or viseos related to this issue we coud search.

I've tried to look for videos but niether of us are mechanics and when I try and do a search many different things show up.

Thanks for posting this in the forum
Can you take a picture of it please

Melvin Rivers

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I found the switch and the rubber stopper is in place.

Thanks, Bob, for your help.

Ron
I look just where you told me and that rubble piece that goes over that button was off look like something else should be in the top to push that button I don't know but I did remove one of those rubble pieces that was in the top of my hood and placed it there Just in case If yours have something over it to activate that but let me know

OldT

Genesis Model Type
I’ve got the ‘battery drain problem’ too. I had the parasitic draw test and the Hyundai service tech said it showed a normal draw of .03 milliAmps (he said normal range is .03-.045). They also tested the battery and alternator - all good.

I carefully read the posts here about the switch under the drivers side hood (I can see the rubber button is in the hood and presses firmly into the switch on the fender), and I checked for a loose negative battery cable in trunk.

I replaced the battery in January 2020 but it still falls to 72% after full charge just sitting in garage for 4 days. Any other suggestions? Thanks

joegr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
... it showed a normal draw of .03 milliAmps (he said normal range is .03-.045). ...
0.03 mA (0.00003 Amps) is pretty much nothing. I'm sure you/he meant 30 mA (which is 0.03 Amps). Generally, anything at or less than 50 mA is not a problem. Either your battery has a high internal self-discharge (it does happen once in a while), or perhaps more likely, you have a way higher drain than 30 mA that comes and goes and didn't show itself during their short test.

OldT

Genesis Model Type
0.03 mA (0.00003 Amps) is pretty much nothing. I'm sure you/he meant 30 mA (which is 0.03 Amps). Generally, anything at or less than 50 mA is not a problem. Either your battery has a high internal self-discharge (it does happen once in a while), or perhaps more likely, you have a way higher drain than 30 mA that comes and goes and didn't show itself during their short test.
Thanks for the clarification on the mAmps, yes I believe the tech did say "30 mA" now that you say that. The tech called about 5 hours after I left it and asked if they could keep it overnight to run an extended test of the draw. That was fine with me. They still didn't see any unusual draw. The battery steadily loses charge over a short time, however - as I mentioned, it drained from 100% to 72% after about 4 days with no driving.

joegr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
In a perfect world (it isn't), that would mean if you had a 100 A/hr battery, you lost 28 A/hr in 96 hours, so an average discharge rate of about 292 mA for those four days...

ralphy.123

Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
I experienced the same problems. ( Genesis 3.8 2009) My battery went dead after the car sat for three or more days. Dealer kept replacing the battery. I am now on my third battery in 16 months.

Car went dead this past weekend after a four day sit and was towed to the dealer. I mentioned to the service manager the hint about the rubber bumper.
An hour later he called to thank me for the hint. The bumper was misssing.

I hope that my days of changing batteries every six months, (under warranty of course) are over.

Pity that Hundai service techs don't read the forumsc
can somebody please take a picture of what is referred to?

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums