Test drove genesis today. My driving experience.

Monkey

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
bought a '15 5.0 in may of 2015 and love it!, use it mainly for road trips and personally think its a highway machine. have only logged 13k miles on it but have not had any of the previously mentioned issues. dealer experience has been great. i knew i wanted the v8 and mileage was not even top 10 concern for me but i feel the v8 really is the way to go...... for what its worth i get about 23-24mpg with cruise set at 100, 20'' wheels...
AWD? Canadian car ?

Kon

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
My complain on the 2015 was the adaptive CC did not accelerate fast enough. I wonder if it our opinions that differ or if some cars did accelerate at different rates.
My car always downshifts when it needs to accelerate on the highway, even if it's in ECO mode and only needs to gain a few MPH to hit my cruise speed. Seems pretty wasteful when a little extra throttle would suffice.

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type
My car always downshifts when it needs to accelerate on the highway, even if it's in ECO mode and only needs to gain a few MPH to hit my cruise speed. Seems pretty wasteful when a little extra throttle would suffice.
Not really wasteful at all:

Throw a lot more fuel at the engine to gain a little speed, plus reduce efficiency for several seconds after attaining said speed?

Throw a little more fuel at the engine and downshift to attain said speed, while immediately resuming lean cruise at upshift?

Kon

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Not really wasteful at all:

Throw a lot more fuel at the engine to gain a little speed, plus reduce efficiency for several seconds after attaining said speed?

Throw a little more fuel at the engine and downshift to attain said speed, while immediately resuming lean cruise at upshift?
Not sure I follow your logic. If you downshift you're using more fuel, the tradeoff is that you achieve your target speed more quickly.

The whole point of ECO mode is to prioritize higher gear selection over acceleration. SCC negates that by frequently downshifting to quickly achieve minor speed increases.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Not sure I follow your logic. If you downshift you're using more fuel, the tradeoff is that you achieve your target speed more quickly.

The whole point of ECO mode is to prioritize higher gear selection over acceleration. SCC negates that by frequently downshifting to quickly achieve minor speed increases.
Maybe, it depends. If you lug the engine by not downshifting that is not good either. I rarely see a downshift, but I may be travelling at different speeds than say, your normal commute. I'm not in ECO mode but often top gear. There is a difference in going from 65 to 75 than say 45 to 55.

If you are in say, 8th in ECO at a lower speed where Normal would be 6th gear, it probably requires a downshift rather than lug where it is operating inefficiently. Just a guess, but the power train engineers looked as different scenarios programming the ECU.

Chad86tsi

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Old 3 and 4 speed automatics didn't down shift for basic acceleration. They were designed to keep the car about where it needed to be so downshift shouldn't be needed.

New ones with many more gears will overshoot the ideal gear to improve economy. My cold morning starts from stop signs tend to have me in 3rd gear by 15 MPH if I baby it (as I tend to on on cold motors). If I lean on it at that speed it will down shift to 2nd where it probably should have been. This is all economy driven, reset your expectations a little and it won't seem so out of place. It still has the lower gears so you don't loose out on the acceleration when you need it, and it's trying to safe you $$. I just wish it were a little quicker, but that would ruin some of the smooth cruising character that make these a true pleasure to drive. It's all compromises, and this is one of them.

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type

This is something you'd have to experience to really understand. Basically, the throttle angle and vacuum dictates efficiency. If the engine tries to make up a power difference with throttle angle alone, it opens the blade and sacrifices manifold vacuum to develop power. When you reach atmospheric pressure in the manifold, the engine cannot generate any more power than currently. The ECU enters power enrichment mode (throws more fuel at it than needed) to prevent burning valves and to keep combustion temperature lower as a knock prevention measure. You've basically gotten yourself a wide-open- throttle condition without actually opening it all the way.

But what happens when you drop a gear and increase RPM? You get more vacuum for a given throttle angle, which directly translates into a higher power threshold AND requires less fuel to maintain. The more vacuum you get, the less fuel you need. This still isn't a perfect cycle though, because more RPM needs more air, which needs more fuel. But since you're not in a zero vacuum/WOT situation, you're also not in power enrichment. The end result is you're burning LESS fuel at a higher RPM, with naturally cooler combustion cycles and much improved efficiency.

verwey83

Registered Member
WI #920
going to try and be polite here.....

your driving a 5k lb car and.....(choice of words is important here) you want to talk about downshifts? with an 8 speed? and the effect it has on fuel mileage?

hguh9591

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
My wife and I test drove a 2015 3.8 AWD a few days ago and we loved it. We decided we will get one as soon as other circumstances allow (within a week or two). I come from driving a 1999 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro with the sport package. Granted, I sold the Audi three years ago (we moved to a Caribbean island for 2.5 years and a car with little ground clearance would not do well) and we have been driving an old Honda CRV.

The acceleration was great and the handling was wonderful. It was definitely heavier than the A4, but it was easier to drive. I miss the standard transmission, but I am out of practice. The throttle response could be a little smoother; I drove an A8 recently and that had a lovely, smooth throttle.

Still, for under $25K, this is a steal.

wabbajack

Registered Member
Still, for under $25K, this is a steal.
Therein lies the value.
OP, I have driven both the V6 and V8. I just bought the V8. For under $25k (28k miles, no accident, off lease). I owned a 2017 Audi A3 (220hp quattro) for 15k miles, and a 2017 Cadillac ATS (16k miles). Going from your A4 to this car will be an adjustment. I decided it was worth it because it was much more comfortable and powerful. I also don't live around any twisty roads, so the small nimble handling with my previous cars were moot.

hguh9591

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Therein lies the value.
OP, I have driven both the V6 and V8. I just bought the V8. For under $25k (28k miles, no accident, off lease). I owned a 2017 Audi A3 (220hp quattro) for 15k miles, and a 2017 Cadillac ATS (16k miles). Going from your A4 to this car will be an adjustment. I decided it was worth it because it was much more comfortable and powerful. I also don't live around any twisty roads, so the small nimble handling with my previous cars were moot.
At this point, it is going from a 2004 Honda CRV LE to a Genesis. That will be a very big adjustment indeed. The biggest adjustment will probably be that my wife will enjoy it more than she enjoyed driving the Audi. She may end up driving more than I do.

Kon

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
This is something you'd have to experience to really understand. Basically, the throttle angle and vacuum dictates efficiency. If the engine tries to make up a power difference with throttle angle alone, it opens the blade and sacrifices manifold vacuum to develop power. When you reach atmospheric pressure in the manifold, the engine cannot generate any more power than currently. The ECU enters power enrichment mode (throws more fuel at it than needed) to prevent burning valves and to keep combustion temperature lower as a knock prevention measure. You've basically gotten yourself a wide-open- throttle condition without actually opening it all the way.

But what happens when you drop a gear and increase RPM? You get more vacuum for a given throttle angle, which directly translates into a higher power threshold AND requires less fuel to maintain. The more vacuum you get, the less fuel you need. This still isn't a perfect cycle though, because more RPM needs more air, which needs more fuel. But since you're not in a zero vacuum/WOT situation, you're also not in power enrichment. The end result is you're burning LESS fuel at a higher RPM, with naturally cooler combustion cycles and much improved efficiency.
This is all nice but if any of it applied to the scenario in question (accelerating 5mph on a flat stretch of highway) then ECO mode would essentially be pointless and we'd all be cruising in 6th gear instead of 8th.

I think I'll trust the Hyundai engineers on this one.

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type
This is all nice but if any of it applied to the scenario in question (accelerating 5mph on a flat stretch of highway) then ECO mode would essentially be pointless and we'd all be cruising in 6th gear instead of 8th.

I think I'll trust the Hyundai engineers on this one.
But you don't trust their cruise control behaviour?

And if you read, more RPM consumes more fuel, just not as much as trying to accelerate in gear.

Jerrie86

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Wish we had the same pricing in Canada where the one you bought would cost at least 7-8k here.

And for some reason, there are barely any genesis 2016 under 50k km's. There is one and listed for 33k Or so.

I'm going to wait for for genesis to pop up and see if I can get a better deal soon.

Therein lies the value.
Wish we had the same

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.