Uniq Performance Rigid Collars

ssiperko

Registered Member
IL

Ekrivsun

Hasn't posted much yet...
Got collar set delivered. The challenge is that the best installation + alignment quote I've got is $350. Seems to be pretty high. Now thinking If I should go for it or not

celltech

Registered Member
Dallas, TX
I put ATQ collars on my '15 a few weeks ago and the difference is quite noticeable. Other than jacking the 4500 lb beast up the install was not that hard. I have not noticed any need to get the car aligned as it still seems to track straight.

Ekrivsun

Visited 3 different mechanics today to get the installation done. All of them told me to not spend time and money because they see 0 value in it. One of them is specialized in suspension performance tuning. Was quite surprised to hear it. Now thinking even more.

Any comments?

Ekrivsun

Well, got it installed and after two days of driving with this kit I have to admit that it works. I'm really surprised, but the car now is more stiff. It almost fixed an issue with feeling of disconnection between steering wheel and the car. It feels more solid now. Also, sharp turns and changing lane on a high speed is much better. Now it's not scary to accelerate on a highway.
Got it installed + alignment for $230.

Next thing I'm looking for is a strut bar.

kg4pto

Registered Member
Atlanta, GA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
So I finally got off my butt and took my car to my garage and got the Uniq Performance rigid collars installed and a full alignment done. What a difference! It kind of reminds me of my Camaro SS now! Any perceived "bump-steer" is now gone, there is a lot less drama with the ESC, and the steering on-center feel is much improved! This is a common sense mod that will serve anyone well, especially with the R-Spec as it lets you take more advantage of what the R-Spec suspension has to offer.

TheDr9669

Registered Member
Well, you can add me to the Rigid Collar Club now. I installed them at the dealership with little fuss. The last collar on the front needed a little persuasion to the sub-frame to go in, but nothing major. The collars really solidified the front end nicely. The biggest difference for me was on the back though. I am now able to put more power down in a more controlled manner than before. Almost all of the cars typical under steer has been eliminated while aggressively cornering. I can now rotate the back of the car and induce over steer under hard braking with the same ease as using the gas pedal. All in all, I recommend this mod to anyone and everyone looking to make their car more solid and stable.

Ambush

Registered Member
Carolinas
Well, you can add me to the Rigid Collar Club now. I installed them at the dealership with little fuss. The last collar on the front needed a little persuasion to the sub-frame to go in, but nothing major. The collars really solidified the front end nicely. The biggest difference for me was on the back though. I am now able to put more power down in a more controlled manner than before. Almost all of the cars typical under steer has been eliminated while aggressively cornering. I can now rotate the back of the car and induce over steer under hard braking with the same ease as using the gas pedal. All in all, I recommend this mod to anyone and everyone looking to make their car more solid and stable.
I know this is an old post but if you dont mind me asking, how much did the STEALERSHIP charge for the install? Did you have to go into DETAIL what the collars were and where to install them? That is my fear. I dont have the tools to do so and I am in a need of an oil change so why not right?

dareckibmw

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Romeoville, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I know this is an old post but if you dont mind me asking, how much did the STEALERSHIP charge for the install? Did you have to go into DETAIL what the collars were and where to install them? That is my fear. I dont have the tools to do so and I am in a need of an oil change so why not right?
I totally forgot about it!!! :bugout: I'll be installing mine tomorrow (hopefully) the shop owner said it'll cost me $80.00 it's the same shop that lowered my car last year.

TbonePdx

Registered Member
Portland, OR
I'm a little confused about needing an alignment after the install. The installation instructions (which are quite specific) from ATQ Automotive where I bought the rigid collars from say nothing about needing an alignment. It literally goes from the 2nd to last step where you finish tightening the last bolt to the last step which is to take your car off the lift and enjoy your new rigid collars on a twisty road. I'm getting my collars installed tomorrow and I have neither the desire to pay for an alignment I don't need, nor do I want to skip one I do.

I'd love to hear some input from others who have been told by their (trusted) mechanics/technicians as to whether or not an alignment is necessary. Thanks in advance!

P.S. On my last car, a 2012 Kia Optima SX, I also had rigid collars installed and the difference was quite pronounced. Great suspension mod for the money, even more so than a strut brace or a thicker sway bar (at least in most of the modified cars I've owned). The Genesis is already a fairly stout car, but I'm hoping for the best!!

Tony

celltech

Registered Member
Dallas, TX
I'm a little confused about needing an alignment after the install. The installation instructions (which are quite specific) from ATQ Automotive where I bought the rigid collars from say nothing about needing an alignment. It literally goes from the 2nd to last step where you finish tightening the last bolt to the last step which is to take your car off the lift and enjoy your new rigid collars on a twisty road. I'm getting my collars installed tomorrow and I have neither the desire to pay for an alignment I don't need, nor do I want to skip one I do.

I'd love to hear some input from others who have been told by their (trusted) mechanics/technicians as to whether or not an alignment is necessary. Thanks in advance!

P.S. On my last car, a 2012 Kia Optima SX, I also had rigid collars installed and the difference was quite pronounced. Great suspension mod for the money, even more so than a strut brace or a thicker sway bar (at least in most of the modified cars I've owned). The Genesis is already a fairly stout car, but I'm hoping for the best!!

Tony
I installed the collars myself and really didn't have to move the subframe around to get them to fit. It seemed to track fine and I never got it aligned. Later I was chasing a front vibration issue and had the alignment checked, it was dead on. The vibration ended up being a front tire balance issue. I think these cars are very sensitive to having the tire balance being perfect.

TbonePdx

Registered Member
Portland, OR
I installed the collars myself and really didn't have to move the subframe around to get them to fit. It seemed to track fine and I never got it aligned. Later I was chasing a front vibration issue and had the alignment checked, it was dead on. The vibration ended up being a front tire balance issue. I think these cars are very sensitive to having the tire balance being perfect.
Yep! Thanks.

Had the rigid collars installed. My suspension shop tech that did the install said zero reasons to have an alignment afterwards, and said not to waste my money on one.

Tony

Flarfignewton

Pittsburgh, PA
Genesis Model Type
It depends on how much the subframe shifts when you install them. I just checked my alignment sheet from after I installed mine and aligned it and the total toe for the front and rear axles was fine but the toe for each wheel was a little off. Won't cause any tire wear issues like that but the wheels are slightly turned to one way going down the road causing a slight case of dog tracking. So necessary for an alignment? Probably not but I would recommend one.

Cali Gen

Registered Member
Bay Area, California
Genesis Model Type
For EVERYONE who took the time to read through this entire post like i did and are hesitant to get because of people claiming that these rigid collars are not designed/installed properly should definitely watch this video

Although this video is for the coupe the same concept applies to our sedans. This video explains very well why the collars for the genesis are installed a bit differently from the more traditional collars you might be thinking of (spoon rigid collars for a honda). First 3 minutes of vid and a good visual example starting at about 6:45

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.