USB Port Won't Charge My iPhone

TswanACE

Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
New member here, so excuse me if I haven't scoured the forums for thousands of hours before this inquiry:

I see in this thread what looks like an iPhone 6 directly connected to the Ultimate Genesis USB port with readings that I have never seen in IOS.

1). Is this a custom app for power stats?
2). My USB port reads an older iPhone 4 but won't even detect my iPhone 7. Is this a DIS issue (version 10 currently), a fuse issue, or just iPhone 7 having very wonky power requirements?

Going to test my wife's iPhone XR today to see if it works.

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type

TswanACE

Genesis Model Type
1. Thanks for the clarification.

2. Using a 30 pin for the 4s, and the same 30 pin + 30 pin to lightning adapter officially from Apple. Also tried the Hyundai 30 pin cable (from my wife's Tuscon) with the 4s and with the 30 ping to lighting adapter. Same outcome in both scenarios- 4s works, but no lightning devices work, and AUX is available when using the Hyundai cable with zero options to control tracks. I only use Apple-branded cables or ones that are directly bundled in with my iPhone, iPad, Apple TV or iPod.

At this point I have tried:

-iPhone 5
-iPhone 5s
-iPhone 6s
-iPhone 7
-iPhone XR

None of them are recognized via USB under the "Media" menu. Directly plugging in a Apple lightning cable naturally yields the same result.

With this data, I have theorized that USB obviously functions, but was not designed for the changes Apple made with Lightning connectors in general alongside the common complaints here about how the analog 3.5mm jack is expecting split digital audio instead of digital data on whatever number of the 8 pins provides it. Building an adapter could fix this, but I'm sure a software update in the Head Unit itself could also yield the same result.

I'd hate to bring out the soldering iron, but I might have to in testing this idea.

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type

TswanACE

Genesis Model Type
So after some trial and error, I've finally gotten to the point where the car doesn't show "IPOD" at all as a function (iPod Classic, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 6s, t 7 Plus, iPhone XR).

Tried with the Hyundai cable 30-pin, 30-pin with Lightning adapter, and white official Apple cables (30-pin and Lightning) alone.

Looking at the photo you posted, it looks as if the Hyundai cable isn't even needed for this radio. That being the case, I can only surmise that one of the pins in the USB port itself either is dead, or the fuse itself is dying. Even power is intermittent when connecting to the car, and eventually goes away after a few seconds.

Something's wrong. Going to pull up the schematic to see what the pinouts look like.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

TswanACE

Genesis Model Type
Yup, after looking at the block diagram, both of the 12V AC ports are connected to the same fuse that the USB port is lined up with. Even if it wasn't and power came from the head unit, that fuse is obviously still good.

Going to order one directly from the dealer- quite a bit of their parts have been cut in half lately (bought two Hyndai USB cables for $20 each, which used to retail for $60).

TswanACE

Genesis Model Type
I would suspect the USB connector is broken, pretty common issue in a lot of cars (and computers for that matter) when one is plugging and unplugging all the time. Personally I have broken them on a few cars over the years.

you likely just need to replace this part:

96120L-B1000

96120-B1000 - Hyundai Parts Deal

View attachment 20090
So I got the part in, and I've been mulling about the forums looking for a way to replace this. Do I really have to remove the center console to get at the underside of 84675E pictured here, or can I reach in by taking off just one of the side panels?

I haven't found a guide clear enough on this, and I don't want to risk breaking tabs on panels taking this apart myself off the top of my head.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport