• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

What things don't you like in the G70?

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Just spent time back reading this thread. As a prospective owner, thanks for the insights. Ive test driven the 2.0 and the 3.3 this week (base lines for both), neither felt as smooth as i would have liked.....seemed like a little jerkiness at times....when its upshifting or downshifting/decelerating may be what i'm noticing. When I test drove a g80 i did not notice any jerkiness.

Outside of this issue i'd really like to get the G70 but this may be a deal breaker for me. any insights? is this simply how the ride is intended to feel in the G70.....when its downshifting/decelerating for example?
I’ve got 1k miles on mine and it’s definitely not the smoothest. Decelerating I can feel a small jerk each time a gear is chosen. Doesn’t bother me much and it doesn’t unsettle the car so that’s going to be a really subjective call. Definitely test drive some other cars and make sure it’s not a deal breaker for you. I like it, I think it adds to the sport character

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Just spent time back reading this thread. As a prospective owner, thanks for the insights. Ive test driven the 2.0 and the 3.3 this week (base lines for both), neither felt as smooth as i would have liked.....seemed like a little jerkiness at times....when its upshifting or downshifting/decelerating may be what i'm noticing. When I test drove a g80 i did not notice any jerkiness.

Outside of this issue i'd really like to get the G70 but this may be a deal breaker for me. any insights? is this simply how the ride is intended to feel in the G70.....when its downshifting/decelerating for example?

I think your thoughts are correct - the G70 seems to be intended to be the sportiest of Genesis' 3 sedans. Personally, I love the strong shifts - but that's because I was driving it in sport mode w/manual mode enabled, and it feels good to actually feel the car shift gears (quickly, too!). I prefer the sportier ride and feel with my luxury. Obviously we all have different expectations and desires when it comes to our cars.

That said, it's definitely not for everyone! Nothing wrong with wanting the G80 instead (I've been tempted for a G80 Sport myself on more than one occasion).

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I’ve got 1k miles on mine and it’s definitely not the smoothest. Decelerating I can feel a small jerk each time a gear is chosen. Doesn’t bother me much and it doesn’t unsettle the car so that’s going to be a really subjective call. Definitely test drive some other cars and make sure it’s not a deal breaker for you. I like it, I think it adds to the sport character
I that is intentional so it feels sporty. DCT cars used to feel jerky and NA folks didn't like it so the Germans especially went back to regular AT for the NA market.

Dpaulc

Registered Member
Coasting to a slow down definitely makes the car lunge each time the gear drops. Couldn't this be fixed with an update to the transmission programming?

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Coasting to a slow down definitely makes the car lunge each time the gear drops. Couldn't this be fixed with an update to the transmission programming?
The gear doesn't drop. It decouples the transmission from the engine. Re-engaging could be a little smoother though!

Dpaulc

Registered Member
The gear doesn't drop. It decouples the transmission from the engine. Re-engaging could be a little smoother though!
Sorry, I was using the term coasting in the general sense not the decoupling like in Eco and smart modes. I usually drive in comfort, where I can still feel the lurches of the downshifts when approaching a stop.

SonnyDMB

Thanks for the reply's, i've tested a few of the cars in the same category as the g70 (small luxury sedans) and I haven't noticed the jerking/lurches while decelerating in those. If the g70 is designed that way to feel more sport, i understand. Unfortunately it means it's not the car for me (this will be my daily driver) and I will end up 'settling' on a car (probably the A4)...........which is not ideal as planning to have my next car for 10 years. I'm not a car guy. I like a car to look a little sporty, have good acceleration, and a luxury/smooth ride.....and prefer to stay in the g70 size and not go to g80 size.

I will give the 3.3 g70 one more test drive. Will deactivating traction control help?

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Winnipeg
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks for the reply's, i've tested a few of the cars in the same category as the g70 (small luxury sedans) and I haven't noticed the jerking/lurches while decelerating in those. If the g70 is designed that way to feel more sport, i understand. Unfortunately it means it's not the car for me (this will be my daily driver) and I will end up 'settling' on a car (probably the A4)...........which is not ideal as planning to have my next car for 10 years. I'm not a car guy. I like a car to look a little sporty, have good acceleration, and a luxury/smooth ride.....and prefer to stay in the g70 size and not go to g80 size.

I will give the 3.3 g70 one more test drive. Will deactivating traction control help?
Are you noticing this in sport mode or all modes? I notice it in sport mode, which makes sense because it's rev matching down shifts. Otherwise, I don't feel it.

Traction control won't change it.

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Drive it in Comfort mode. I personally have no idea what you’re talking about. I always drive in Sport and love it. On the highway...I cruise in Comfort.

50jae

Registered Member
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I've felt the jerkiness during downshifts when coasting to a stop in Sport mode but it's hardly perceptible in comfort mode. I feel it was added intentionally to make it feel sportier which I appreciate. For a smoother luxury sedan with less sportiness an A4 would be an ok pick. A bit boring but a perfectly good daily driver.

SonnyDMB

I agree the A4 would be a bit boring that's why i don't want to settle on getting it. I drove in comfort and sport and felt it in both. I can try Eco mode to see if i notice it. I drove RWD but i assume RWD vs AWD would not matter.

50jae

Registered Member
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I agree the A4 would be a bit boring that's why i don't want to settle on getting it. I drove in comfort and sport and felt it in both. I can try Eco mode to see if i notice it. I drove RWD but i assume RWD vs AWD would not matter.
I guess try out a couple different 3.3T models to check whether the one you initially drove was a dud. I hardly feel it in comfort mode and I came from a G80 which shifts like butter

Gianttama

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Sonny is keeping his car for 10 years thou, so I don't know about getting an Audi instead, you know.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
German cars are precisely engineered to fall apart after their warranty expires. Of course there are exceptions to the rules!
All my relatives who keep their Beemers and Mercedes after warranty pay a crap ton in repairs but yet keep buying them!

BNarv

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

I just traded in my 4.6 Genesis for a 3.3T Dynamic Edition. It really is an apple and oranges comparison. The transmission and ride are very different. The G70 (particularly the sport editions) are set up to be sporty, agile, etc. so with that comes some degree of twitchiness (let's pretend that's a word). I think the G70 is smooth relative to the size and type of car it is, but it is def not as smooth as the G80. The Transmission is slower to respond in the G80 which isn't bad, it's just going for a different feel.

mike373

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Just got my Casablanca White 3.3T Sport about a week ago and I love the vehicle. I came from a 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T and this thing blows it away by miles. There are two minor wants I wish the vehicle had and that is an auto-close trunk, and no sign of incandescent lights.

Also, I have experienced a driver's door that needs a nudge to open up (most likely needs adjusting) and a weird hesitation when I accelerate after a cold start. To further explain the hesitation, it's almost as if the vehicle loses power and then it comes on a second later when I turn and accelerate. This literally only happens after a cold start, so I'm not sure what the issue is. I'm using premium fuel and I'm on my second full tank. I can't see this being a warm-up issue as cars don't need to idle for 20 mins to operate correctly. I'll be at the dealer this week to hopefully have both issues remediated.

Electrode

Registered Member
Southeastern PA, US
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I've felt the jerkiness during downshifts when coasting to a stop in Sport mode but it's hardly perceptible in comfort mode. I feel it was added intentionally to make it feel sportier which I appreciate. For a smoother luxury sedan with less sportiness an A4 would be an ok pick. A bit boring but a perfectly good daily driver.
I test drove an A5 sportback and it is a very good all around car, but not exciting. The standouts are the super smooth transmission and the virtual cockpit. The question I had was, "why is this car $50,000?"

Nalbam

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I would say chrome fender garnish.
It looks alright in pictures, but it somehow doesn't look right in real life.

SirFrederick

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Well in honour of it being -46*C (-50.8*F) this morning I'm going to selfishly ask for Genesis to up the interior vent count to about 25 for the G70. I think that should do. I want to be fully encapsulated with vents ;). My G70 was not a happy camper this morning driving to work.