What type of AWD system does the G70 use?

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
A lot of that is just advertising, unfortunately. Not all of those systems are created equal. Some brake-based torque vectoring systems have the words "active" in it, despite being inferior to a clutch type system.

The WRX STi's center diff is essentially an electronically controlled clutch type coupling mated to a mechanical LSD. This allows their software to control some of the power transfer between front and rear, but it is unable to send all the power in either direction, as even if the clutch is fully locked the mechanical differential will still allow for some slip (ie front or rear wheels to spin at slightly different speeds, relative to each other).

Hyundai's HTRAC is different. The power is sent through a transfer case, which acts more like a welded differential (ie running fully locked), but it has an elaborate electronically controlled clutch system that allows all power to be sent it either direction, or even a perfect 50/50 distribution. The difference here is that it is ALL electronically controlled, there is NO mechanical differential or passive power transfer dictated by a differential - every bit of power transfer is controlled by the computer. Nothing analog about it.
The examples I have are actual active differentials. I hate the brake based ones and how in the past few years they are calling it active and giving it fancy names.
I know the G70 uses brake based torque vectoring but since it is RWD based, it at least pushes you through the corner with the rear bias. The FWD based brake torque vectoring just cuts the power and you can notice that the vehicle is slowing down through the corner.
Of course nothing beats an Active Rear Differential which makes taking corners feel like you're on rails!

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm right there with you, but just trying to make sense of the slide that @Slip_Angle posted.. The pics you posted, as far as I understand, are for HTRAC in general. There is a possibility that the G70 has a revised version of it, allowing said configurations to take place? Maybe? To me, it seems like the Magna supplied transfer case should be able to do it. In fact, Magna themselves state that the ActiMax transfer case can apply 100% of torque to either the front or rear end of the drivetrain. It uses an electronically controlled wet clutch to do this.

I'm no expert either, but I have done a lot of work on cars, including AWD cars - but still, not an expert. According to the articles I found in my first post of this thread there are some Audi and BMW models that use a system (be it transfer case or coupling) that can completely disconnect the front and/or rear wheels for fuel economy. I'm not exactly sure which models have said systems, though.
Those images are from the G70 AR brochure. G70 specific. Not HTRAC general.

Toddasaurus

Hasn't posted much yet...
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
The examples I have are actual active differentials. I hate the brake based ones and how in the past few years they are calling it active and giving it fancy names.
I know the G70 uses brake based torque vectoring but since it is RWD based, it at least pushes you through the corner with the rear bias. The FWD based brake torque vectoring just cuts the power and you can notice that the vehicle is slowing down through the corner.
Of course nothing beats an Active Rear Differential which makes taking corners feel like you're on rails!
The 3.3 trims in the US have a clutch-type LSD in the rear, even on AWD models. No brake based torque vectoring, at least in the rear end! But still, you're right, it wouldn't be considered an active diff, as it's still all mechanical. Even so, I still consider this a plus, as it's much much better than that silly brake based stuff, but not quite on par with something like BMW's E-Diff found on the latest M2/M3/M4.

Those images are from the G70 AR brochure. G70 specific. Not HTRAC general.
Ah, I gotcha. Didn't realize that! Now we gotta figure out how that slide that slip angle posted fits in with everything... We must find the truth!!

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The 3.3 trims in the US have a clutch-type LSD in the rear. No brake based torque vectoring on those models, as least in the rear end! But still, you're right, it wouldn't be considered an active diff, as it's still all mechanical. Even so, I still consider this a plus, as it's much much better than that silly brake based stuff, but not quite on par with something like BMW's E-Diff found on the latest M2/M3/M4.

Ah, I gotcha. Didn't realize that! Now we gotta figure out how that slide that slip angle posted fits in with everything... We must find the truth!!
Even with the LSD, I believe it does some minor brake based torque vectoring. I remember reading some members posting how it was occasionally erratic mid corner in slippery conditions.
I could be wrong and it could just be over aggressive EBD instead!

Toddasaurus

Hasn't posted much yet...
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Even with the LSD, I believe it does some minor brake based torque vectoring. I remember reading some members posting how it was occasionally erratic mid corner in slippery conditions.
I could be wrong and it could just be over aggressive EBD instead!
Ahhhhhh, I remember reading about both those things too... Completely forgot about it.. Hmmm... I think you're right about this.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Ahhhhhh, I remember reading about both those things too... Completely forgot about it.. Hmmm... I think you're right about this.
If I recall correctly, The Smoking Tire review from a couple of days ago also mentions this. I believe he said you can turn it off by disabling ESC so it lets the slip occur without trying to straighten it out.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.