Why did you pick G70 over others?

ikonn

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
For me it was a combination of all of those things: was, by far, the best bang for the buck. For the features you get, with the specs it has, here in Canada anyway I would have had to have spent $20K more. Yes I could have gotten into an entry BMW for the same price, but wouldn’t have had nearly the same level of trim. Love the look of it. Finally, I don’t want to be driving what 90% of other people are driving. I know that doesn’t make sense, but coming from a Saab, I just wanted something different ...
Pretty much agree with this. For me:
- the 3.3 twin turbo engine
- the chassis and handling (at least according to the reviews)
- the attactive design that is low and wide, which for now is not nearly as common as A4, C Class, 3 Series
- the quality of the interior (except those 3 ugly exposed wires at the headliner) and my creak noise

Did I mention the awesome twin turbo engine?

chunk_split

Registered Member
SF Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Did I mention the awesome twin turbo engine?
Yeah, it's surprisingly badass. I know I've said it repeatedly, just look at my previous posts for what I'm coming from. And I was on the market for a luxury car with superior comfort (in contrast to a high performance German sports car), but I was pretty happy to end up with that engine for sure. Particularly considering that the repair costs should hopefully be less expensive in the long run.

To add though...the voice recognition is getting amazing...so they’re banking on voice control and automated driving.
I can see it now...
(engaging in conversation with passenger, accidentally pressing voice button)

DRIVER: It was freezing outside.
CAR: BOOP. ENABLING MAX AC.
DRIVER: No, it's already snowing outside, disable!
CAR: BOOP. DISABLING TRACTION CONTROL NOW.
Speaking of "too much tech" (and nightmare skynet scenarios like the one above where your car "accidentally" kills you by turning off traction control): I was visiting a friend who was showing off all of the tech he installed in his home. He was pulling up the video feed for his newly installed security cameras from his iPad when suddenly his wife screamed at him for turning off the television. Haha 😂 In a house, it's one thing, but in your car...

Beefer

Getting familiar with the group...
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^^ok...that’s some funny stuff. Dunno what to say...you actually have me speechless. LOL

Slides

Hasn't posted much yet...
NJ
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
The interior is not superior. Some of the touch buttons are cooler. That’s it. Virtual cockpit is nice. Subjective.

The AWD is NOT superior. You need to do some research on the HTRAC and the electronic LSD on the Sport.

So Virtual Cockpit and some interior LED lighting. Hmmmm.
I mean, that's really subjective, but most reviewers agree that the Audi S5 interior is one of the best in class. I love mine. The Virtual Cockpit is also great. No issues with blinding at night at all. It's really the way of the future and the current G70 gauge cluster looks outdated. Thankfully, Genesis already has a new cockpit read for the Korean market. And LED lightening is pretty much necessary for car in this class.

But fair enough. All of that is based on personal preference. But you are dead wrong on the AWD. The Torsen Quattro with the Sports Rear Differential is class leading and better than current Genesis technology. This is objectively true. I've done the research. My S5 is the most planted car I've driven at speed around corners. Still amazes me to this day. An LSD can't compare to proactive torque vectoring. Sorry, but that's just the truth.

Van_Nik_75

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Vancouver, BC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
For me it was a combination of all of those things: was, by far, the best bang for the buck. For the features you get, with the specs it has, here in Canada anyway I would have had to have spent $20K more. Yes I could have gotten into an entry BMW for the same price, but wouldn’t have had nearly the same level of trim. Love the look of it. Finally, I don’t want to be driving what 90% of other people are driving. I know that doesn’t make sense, but coming from a Saab, I just wanted something different ...
Completely the same as my reasons, other than the Saab part.

Last edited:

COToad

Registered Member
Castle Rock, CO
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I have not made the final decision since I haven't driven yet but as a BMW driver the past 20+, I am just not seeing the value anymore. The new BMW M340i xDrive is $56,995 vs the G70 Dynamic $53,245. That doesn't seem so much until you realize SensaTec(vinyl) is standard, so are 18" wheels, check the box for drivers assistance, surround cameras, heated seats, adaptive suspension, etc, etc. I am pretty sure your looking at the mid-60s before you get the same equipment of the Dynamic.
m340i xDrive1.jpg M340i xdrive2.jpg M340i xdrive3.jpg M340i xdrive4.jpg

chunk_split

Registered Member
SF Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Don’t forget the maintenance costs. The higher end you go, the more expensive it gets on the BMW’s, Mercedes and Audi’s. My Audi RS5 ultimately cost about $10k to maintain as I drove it from 38k - 58k miles before I decided I had enough. Thankfully I had my warranty to absorb some of that.

KDX

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Don’t forget the maintenance costs. The higher end you go, the more expensive it gets on the BMW’s, Mercedes and Audi’s. My Audi RS5 ultimately cost about $10k to maintain as I drove it from 38k - 58k miles before I decided I had enough. Thankfully I had my warranty to absorb some of that.
That's pretty sad. The cost and the fact that not all of it was covered under warranty.

chunk_split

Registered Member
SF Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
That's pretty sad. The cost and the fact that not all of it was covered under warranty.
Yeah. I'll break it down a little bit, including what was covered under warranty in terms of total costs. Keep in mind the car was not just a German car (Audi) where here in the US it's more expensive to maintain just due to parts and labor being a little more expensive, but it was a reasonably unique model on the sporty end of the spectrum, meaning maintenance costs in my case would be exacerbated given the higher end specs. Note that in my case I was aware of what I was getting into from the start; I just decided that I "had my fun" and wanted to move on to reduce costs, particularly since unfortunately I didn't have space to store two cars. Otherwise, I probably would have went with a Civic/Accord and kept my beloved Audi 🙂

So, to categorize (and separate costs from visits that required more than one of the below categories) see below. For clarity, these were the costs to own and maintain my 2013 Audi RS5 for 1.75 years (from 38k miles to 58k miles). This includes the costs that my extended warranty paid and includes projected costs if I were to have kept my car fora few more months (brakes were due soon).
  • Regular Maintenance (e.g. 45k mile service, 55k mile service) = $3k
  • Wear Items (tires*, brakes**) = $7.6k
  • Repairs (transmission oil leak, electronics issues, dead oil solenoids, windshield replacement) = $4.3k
Grand Total: $15k ☨ ($3.9k extended warranty covered, $11k projected out of pocket, $6.5k actual out of pocket thus far)

Notes / Fine Print:
* The tires needed replacement due to a minor accident with a curb. I then ended up with a failed defective replacement tire that wasn't covered by the original shop warranty (by a shop called Beltran tires out here in Redwood City who ripped me off), which effectively wasted $1k in tires, since the higher end performance tires run roughly $500/ea after taxes and install. So, this cost includes $1k in 2 front tires quickly followed by a full set of 4 brand new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires.

** The RS5 comes with Brembro brakes (so, high end and pricey). Turns out I traded my car not long before they needed a full replacement, so I think I lucked out there.

☨ If I had kept the car for a few more months. I traded in before some of the more expensive brake repairs would have been due (amounting for $4k or so, after purchasing some parts at a $800-$1k discount on eBay compared to what the shop was quoting me). So, my actual out of pocket was closer to $6.5k

chunk_split

Registered Member
SF Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Heh, that’s what I actually did with my old RS5 (which, with the trim I got, cost $75k new in 2013). At the time, I got an awesome car for upper $40k’s, out the door about $54k after taxes + warranty.

It was fun, but I decided to focus more on saving money over the all fun I was having (and get a little more comfort). Which is saying a lot, since I still ended up replacing it with another mid/upper-$40k car 😏

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.