You will win in a drag race

G-274518

The 5.0 V8 start making good take-off torque around 2k rpms and then just take off from there. Before 2k rpm the engine is sluggish due to a lack of torque even when the thottle is opened up stock or with a Sprint Booster module.

For a good take off first turn off the traction control, then put the car in drive, next hold the brake pedal while at the same time press the gas pedal and try to keep the revs around 2k rpm, and finally let off the brake. If you get it right with minimal wheel spin then you will hook up and fly down the road. This is called torque-braking, basically a manually performed launch control. You must have good rear tires for this to work without just spinning tires. The stock all-season tires are trash so it will be hard to get a good launch with them.
Would 3.3T users in the G80 sport brake torque at 1500 RPM instead, or 2000? And when I'm letting off the brake, do you roll on throttle, it bury it?

Lead Head

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
The 5.0 V8 start making good take-off torque around 2k rpms and then just take off from there. Before 2k rpm the engine is sluggish due to a lack of torque even when the thottle is opened up stock or with a Sprint Booster module.

For a good take off first turn off the traction control, then put the car in drive, next hold the brake pedal while at the same time press the gas pedal and try to keep the revs around 2k rpm, and finally let off the brake. If you get it right with minimal wheel spin then you will hook up and fly down the road. This is called torque-braking, basically a manually performed launch control. You must have good rear tires for this to work without just spinning tires. The stock all-season tires are trash so it will be hard to get a good launch with them.
These are great instructions, thank you for explaining the process. For 3.3T G80 Sport, would the throttle point be to 1500 RPM? And do you roll on throttle after releasing the brake, or do you bury it?

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
These are great instructions, thank you for explaining the process. For 3.3T G80 Sport, would the throttle point be to 1500 RPM? And do you roll on throttle after releasing the brake, or do you bury it?
Depends on how much tire you have. If you have stock or El cheapo tires, roll into the throttle else you'll just start spinning. If you have soft or wide tires, bury it.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Would 3.3T users in the G80 sport brake torque at 1500 RPM instead, or 2000? And when I'm letting off the brake, do you roll on throttle, it bury it?
I think that the G80 sport has a factory launch control system so no need to manually launch it. The rpms are predetermined to provide the best launch for the engine by Hyundai engineers.

Acpantera

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I wish my G80 sport AWD had a launch control program, seems kinda doggy for the first car and1/2 length then takes off like a rocket, I think hitting an up shift paddle at 4500 keeps er pulling hard in its torque sweet spot too.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
I wish my G80 sport AWD had a launch control program, seems kinda doggy for the first car and1/2 length then takes off like a rocket, I think hitting an up shift paddle at 4500 keeps er pulling hard in its torque sweet spot too.
Darn. My mistake, I guess it was only the G70 sport that has the launch control. I assumed that the G80 sport would have launch control as well since it is a sport model with the same engine as the G70 sport. Weird.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Weird indeed.
LOL. Hyundai probably do not want the 3.3T to be actually quicker than the 5.0 off the line since the 5.0 model is the most expensive model due to having the V8 engine hence no launch control for the 3.3T. Personally, I would have made the 5.0 G80 model the sport model with launch control and adaptive suspension; while leaving the 3.3T engine in the G70 sport as is.

I really do not understand why Genesis offers three different engines for the G80. They should pick either the 3.3T or the 5.0 V8 as the premier engine for the G80. My choice would be to just keep the 5.0 and the 3.8 while giving the 3.3T only to the G70. Makes sense to me.

Last edited:

Nikhil Malhotra

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Other than disabling Traction control and Stability control - what does the launch control do .

my cheat sheet for Launch control looks like this

1. Change drive mode to sport
  2. Disable Traction control
  3. Disable Stability Control
  4. Accelerate to 4500 rpm with left foot on brake and right foot on accelerator
  5. Release left foot brake .

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Other than disabling Traction control and Stability control - what does the launch control do .

Launch control just allows the driver to get the best 0-60mph time from a standstill by keeping the rpms constant at a certain rpm such as 4500 that will provide the proper amount of torque that launches the car without wheel spin based on traction elements like tires that are installed on the car. Some factory launch control systems (Ford Mustang GT)allows the driver to adjust rpm for tire/limited slip upgrades that increase traction over the stock set-up.

To sum it up, launch control just keep the rpms constant until the driver let off the brake. It is very hard to manually control the rpms just by holding the brakes and accelerator which means that some launches will be worst than others due to applying too much rpm or too little unlike using launch control to do it for you.

My old 2006 VW GLI had launch control and it accelerated like a rocket from a stand till when you use it. Smooth linear acceleration.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Damn. No wonder it seems that no BMW driver has engaged launch control the last few times I had to merge against them at the light. In which I have won most encounters. BMW made using launch control a lengthy process not to be used at the spur of the moment.:)

Lead Head

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

This helps a lot and seems to coincide with other posts mentioning the how-to, thanks! 4500RPM seems high. I have the AWD G80 Sport, are those still rpms you'd suggest to launch with?

Nikhil Malhotra

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I have the older 2015 Genesis 3.8 . This works good at 4 - 4500 rpm .
Be careful to try in empty parking lots prior to trying in traffic . Even the v6 can get very fast suddenly and remember to turn on the safety (traction control and stability control) again .

I cant image what the v8 would do in this case - its a bullet.

Rspected

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I'd chalk this one up to the Bentley drivers. Some of them have no problem whatsoever putting the hurt on an m4 at a stop light. But we poor Genesis drivers are a couple of turbos too short to live up to the rumors.
Speak for yourself buddy, my 2012 5.0 is fully modded out with bolt ons and performance enhancers. Full custom 3" exhaust straight pipe with x pipe, cat deletes, custom 4" intake tubing w heat wrap, sprint booster, ESC remote disabler, performance springs, BFGoodrich tires, 10.5" wheels and the BTR ecu/tcu tune. My genny is probably pushing about 500 motor and 400rwhp... it would be a fair race

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type
Speak for yourself buddy, my 2012 5.0 is fully modded out with bolt ons and performance enhancers. Full custom 3" exhaust straight pipe with x pipe, cat deletes, custom 4" intake tubing w heat wrap, sprint booster, ESC remote disabler, performance springs, BFGoodrich tires, 10.5" wheels and the BTR ecu/tcu tune. My genny is probably pushing about 500 motor and 400rwhp... it would be a fair race
Cool, you've added about 40hp to the engine (assuming you didn't lose any with the intake). And you're probably pushing 390 to the wheels.

Normally one would post a SAE corrected dyno graph when making bold claims about how much power they make. We can extrapolate drivetrain loss from that to estimate crank hp. You'd probably also have 1/4 time slips to back yourself up.

Regardless how much power you make, an m4 with a JB4 and downpipe will utterly destroy a Genesis. You're a whole 200whp too short to play.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.