1st CAI for Rspec & Equus 5.0 V8

84FordMan

Registered Member
NC
A CAI? No and probably never will due to the massive EPS unit that is hogging the passenger wheel well area.

A SRI? Yes, the R2C, but as already discussed, the filter is horribly undersized, so you really are paying a few hundred bucks for the induction noise. The factory air box is extremely well designed, with some tweaks, it will deliver all of what you desire, unless that is induction noise.

84FordMan

Registered Member
NC
I don't think the R2C intake filter is undersized.. Mine seems pretty beefy to me.
When you calculate the filter media surface area of the R2C and compare it to the filter media surface area of the OEM panel filter, it is quite a bit smaller actually. Then you calculate the minimum required surface area to support the Tau throughout it's RPM range, you will find the OEM panel filter is *just* sufficient enough. So to go any smaller does actually choke the engine. Tuned 4.6s with R2Cs experienced hesitation caused by fuel/timing cuts when the MAF volume did not meet the demand, whereas tuned 4.6s with a factory air box, or in Tailwalker's case, a tuned 4.6 with a gigantic filter, did not experience the same cuts.

For a good example, look at some of GM's LS engines, while they do not move as much air (cubic inch for cubic inch) as the Tau, look at the aftermarket intakes that give them the most power over stock. Time and time again you will find it's usually an OTR (Over The Radiator) with panel filter(s) or a large oval filter. Oval shape gives it significant more filter media surface area versus conical of the same "size".

Roc

Been here awhile...
Md
Your right! Calculations tell the story regardless what one wants to believe. Same with the OEM throttle body. More than what the TAU needs until over 7000rpm (yea, you can't get there). Bigger ones just appear to have more umph because initial opening of larger one allows more air per degree but no more than engine can use. Seems more responsive by your foot, but isn't. We aren't going anywhere until some magic person comes up with a good ECU and T to allow any mods to be really worth while. Air box mods and 2nd cats deletes are pretty close to it right now. And I'll go further, once the G80 and KIA get on the road with V6 dual turbos, no aftermarket company will give the TAU any thought. Not enough of us. I've been harping on using NOS( yea old Ford guy) if you think you need more. For $450 with all safety features, you can get a 35-150 RWHP boost when needed as you let your finger tips do the dialing..

Rey

Registered Member
Salem, OR
Abel Racing "CAI" is neither "new" nor a true cold air intake. Deleting the airbox for a cone filter has been done for years. The metal intake tube is nice looking, but wonder if there is a material power increase with its use compared to a simple cone filter attached the the oem intake tube?
Problem with this intake design is that it's air intake is from under-the-hood, not from outside the hood. The increased under hood intake temperature negates much of the gain from lower restriction filter.
Most dyno testing is done with the hood "up" making this kind of intake system a true CAI. It is more accurate to dyno with the hood down and a motor fully heated.

66nexus

Been here awhile...
When you calculate the filter media surface area of the R2C and compare it to the filter media surface area of the OEM panel filter, it is quite a bit smaller actually. Then you calculate the minimum required surface area to support the Tau throughout it's RPM range, you will find the OEM panel filter is *just* sufficient enough. So to go any smaller does actually choke the engine. Tuned 4.6s with R2Cs experienced hesitation caused by fuel/timing cuts when the MAF volume did not meet the demand, whereas tuned 4.6s with a factory air box, or in Tailwalker's case, a tuned 4.6 with a gigantic filter, did not experience the same cuts.

For a good example, look at some of GM's LS engines, while they do not move as much air (cubic inch for cubic inch) as the Tau, look at the aftermarket intakes that give them the most power over stock. Time and time again you will find it's usually an OTR (Over The Radiator) with panel filter(s) or a large oval filter. Oval shape gives it significant more filter media surface area versus conical of the same "size".

So a bigger filter may be all that is needed then, no? Even though that wouldn't address heat soak. I'm thinking of using my R2C piping with the factory air box.

Roc

Been here awhile...
Md
My thinking and action was to do the simple magnetic weight removal from the bottom of the OEM air box; air is picked up below/behind the front underbelly plastic cladding. Probably cooler than taking it around the radiator and definitely cooler than having(and paying for) a new air box and filter that takes in air near the radiator/a/c exchanger.

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Rey,

I proved in a previous thread "Rspec on Dyno" that adding MSA cat deletes added 15rwhp gains! After another Dyno, proved CAI added another 15rwhp gains. Total real world back to back to back Dyno runs showing each improvement. This was insane and amazing for the money. Our cars are so restrictive with the 4 cats and huge maze of air box & filters.

Each run was cooled off from prior run though so no heat issues. And the hood was up to draw in cool air.

I am going to have Abel work up a cold air box.
That’s what I wanted to hear! It ain’t a cold air intake if it’s sucking in engine heat. Please let us know when the kit with the box is available.

Nick21r

Genesis Model Type
I did comparisons, 85 degree day, hood down, stock air box, sitting 10 min at idle. 140 degrees intake air temp. Which is high as f$%k. But it was at idle.

Similar setup with same drop in cone filter and my intake air temperature was the same it just got to temp faster. Now I haven't done much else besides a diy heat dam but there isn't much take away besides crusing acceleration and intake noise. I believe with these cars your best best for more o2 is just more air. There's no way to get legit cold air.

Paul

Hasn't posted much yet...
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Jacksonville, Fl.
Genesis Model Type
I picked up a weapon R Intake setup on the cheap which comes with an intake pipe, filter, pseudo-box setup, and flexible accordian style tubing to route out of the engine bay. Since there is no real place to draw air from the filter, I wasn't able to utilize the excess tubing.
I originally tried to order an intake from R2C but they are a bunch of f$%king criminals and had to get my money back via paypal when they didn't deliver after over 6 months. (I hear that they are back in business, but that's another story...)
Anyways, last time on the dyno bone stock through the airbox I made 344hp at the tires. When we bypassed the airbox and installed a velocity stack on the end of the intake pipe, HP jumped up to 360hp. Since then, I've installed the intake and a Magnaflow catback along with a set of test pipes and will be taking the car back to the dyno on Wednesday to see what sort of gains are to be had. (If any) I'm thinking that I might go to a bigger filter, but the Weapon R unit isn't puny by any means.
Ive attached some pics of the Weapon R. I'm hoping that it's worth the money spent and I'll at least see marginal gains.... 10~15hp between the intake and exhaust would be nice...

upload_-1 (1).jpg upload_-1 (2).jpg upload_-1.jpg

Paul

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Jacksonville, Fl.
Genesis Model Type
Got some more dyno results and I'll be getting rid of the Weapon R fairly soon. We saw marginal gains in the mid-range and actually lost power on top. Pulled the filter off of the end of the tube and gained about 5hp on top, so the filter that WR uses is choking the motor off at higher RPMs.
Just for shits and giggles we re-installed the factory airbox and filter minus the flapper and made a few runs with about 10 minutes to cool down between each, with the hood down and got right around 345 to the tires on each pull. The biggest issue is that the car runs super fat and the computer will fight to keep it that way.

Last time I ran the car, the temps were down in the 60's vs 85 that we had yesterday, but comparing the runs with the airbox in, it looks like there's fairly significant gain in the low to mid-range in the way that the car is making power with the Magnaflow/test-pipes installed. The motor is now making more torque much lower and remaining fairly flat until drop off at around 5~5.2k
Either way, I ordered a K&N panel filter and will be take a look at what i can do with the stock airbox.
@84FordMan , would you happen to have any pictures of what you did with your box?

Paul

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Jacksonville, Fl.
Genesis Model Type
So the stock airbox is back in, minus the resonator and low speed intake/filter box, and I've installed a K&N Panel filter. (#33-2426 for those that are interested, the 1G V-6 and V-8 share the same filter #) The resonator and low speed filter openings on the main intake pipe have been capped off and I've also completely removed the flapper from inside the airbox. What sucks is that there is really no place to divert the intake pipe to draw fresh air from other than where the stock locations are on the airbox.
IMG_20180615_0024109.jpg

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.