2010 Genesis trans fluid change

Ducatislave

Hasn't posted much yet...
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
They did not list a TSB for the 6 speed, but simply means there was never an update to the procedure these are the service instructions and specs.

2010 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 - 3.8L 3778cc GAS MFI Vin E - 4 Valve DOHC

AT Filter Service Fill
UnitCapacityReferenceNameNotes
TB-60NNot Specified Q / Not Specified LFilter ServiceTransmission-
Automatic transmission diagrams

UnitType
TB-60NTransmission
Transmission

AT Lubricant Recommendations
UnitFluidDescriptionOE Part No SpecNotes
TB-60NWSJWS 3324 Automatic Transmission Fluid--

AT Total Fill Capacity
QualifierNumber of Ranges (Speeds)Transmission ModelCapacity (Quarts/Liters)
-6TB-60N8.66 Q / 8.2 L
Transmission fluid level check

UnitProcedure
TB-60NTransmission fluid level must be checked only when fluid temperature is between 86° to 122 º F (30° to 50º C). Start engine and while holding vehicle with brakes, move shift lever through each gear range. Pause for at least 3 seconds in each gear, then move lever to park. Allow engine to idle for at least one minute at idle speed of 500-800RPM. With engine running, and shifter in Park, raise vehicle, ensure vehicle is level, remove transmission oil check plug. Fluid should just drip. Allow any excess to escape or add as required. Install check plug, torque to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).

Lubricant recommendations
QualifierItemLubricantLubricant DescriptionOE Part No /SpecNotes
TB-60NAutomatic transmission/transaxleWSJWS 3324 Automatic Transmission Fluid--
-Brake systemHBHydraulic Brake Fluid, DOT 3--
-Cooling systemECEthylene Glycol CoolantUse only genuine antifreeze/coolant.-
-EngineAPI*Motor Oil certified by the API (Starburst Symbol)--
-EngineSLMotor Oil, API Service SL--
-EngineSMMotor Oil, API Service SM--
-Power steering systemPS005Pentosin CHF 202--
-Rear differentialGL-5Gear Oil, API Service GL-5SAE 75W-90-

NJTom

Registered Member
Central PA
Thank you Ducatislave for the information! I need to climb under the car this weekend and assess the tranny myself to see if possible to perform while the car is on the jack stands.

Ducatislave

Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
Thank you Ducatislave for the information! I need to climb under the car this weekend and assess the tranny myself to see if possible to perform while the car is on the jack stands.
Should be, i would drive the front up on ramps and then jack the rear up so you have lots of room to move. once the under-body covers come off though, things are pretty easy to locate.

09Genny4.6

Genesis Model Type
You’re right about the fill process. I put the genesis on jackstands, made sure it was level, filled the tranny and cycled through the gears 2-3 times... still wasn’t enough to get it shifting right. I was prepared to subtract or add fluid to get it shifting right. Adding was key. Thanks for the nonexistent dipstick! Hopefully I’ll be able to report any significant damage after another tranny change in 60k miles but that wont be soon! Been shifting better than ever for the last 10k miles. As for the fluid type, I did some research on the bmw forums and found out the Valvoline maxlife i’m using Got an answer from Valvoline. Their Maxlife fluid satisfies the Shell M1375 Spec.
Is it a bad idea to use Red Line's D6 ATF? It meets Shell's 1375.4 specs as well. Also, after following the ZF drain and refill (with filter pan and mechatronic sleeve replacement) procedure, do you have to reset the transmission ecu or will the transmission re-learn shift points/quality automatically after new fluid?

Ducatislave

Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
Is it a bad idea to use Red Line's D6 ATF? It meets Shell's 1375.4 specs as well. Also, after following the ZF drain and refill (with filter pan and mechatronic sleeve replacement) procedure, do you have to reset the transmission ecu or will the transmission re-learn shift points/quality automatically after new fluid?
If the fluid does no specifically list the ATF type specified by Hyundai or ZF in the owners manual then I would avoid using it. These transmission manufacturers list specific fluids based on the detergent additives vs. the types of adhesive used in their clutches. If you put in a fluid that is not specifically approved by your transmissions' OEM then you run the risk of causing irreparable breakdown of your clutch material and inevitable failure.
As to your other question unless your transmission had set some high pressure shifting parameters due to leak by or slippage, then it would stand to reason that it should not need to be reset. As I understand it the TCU Adaptive Shift function, the transmission only changes from the previous adaptive's if it detects a shift pattern error/excessive delay or slippage. One thing I do know with all the ZF transmissions, is that they do not like low voltage, if your battery is bad or your alternator starts dying you will most likely start experiencing shift problems right around 9.8v, and if it drops below 9v it will most likely stop shifting all together.

09Genny4.6

Genesis Model Type
If the fluid does no specifically list the ATF type specified by Hyundai or ZF in the owners manual then I would avoid using it. These transmission manufacturers list specific fluids based on the detergent additives vs. the types of adhesive used in their clutches. If you put in a fluid that is not specifically approved by your transmissions' OEM then you run the risk of causing irreparable breakdown of your clutch material and inevitable failure.
As to your other question unless your transmission had set some high pressure shifting parameters due to leak by or slippage, then it would stand to reason that it should not need to be reset. As I understand it the TCU Adaptive Shift function, the transmission only changes from the previous adaptive's if it detects a shift pattern error/excessive delay or slippage. One thing I do know with all the ZF transmissions, is that they do not like low voltage, if your battery is bad or your alternator starts dying you will most likely start experiencing shift problems right around 9.8v, and if it drops below 9v it will most likely stop shifting all together.
Red Line specifically states their D6 ATF is a suitable match for ZF LG-6 fluid and that it meets the Shell 1375.4 spec. The owner's manual isn't gong to list out each manufacturer and specify which of their fluids to use, especially when the data is from 2009. The owner's manual states a spec the fluid you use must meet. Since my comment, I've already spoken with two reputable mechanics and they both told me they would simply use synthetic fluid from brand they carry (as long as it meets the spec) and it doesn't matter if you mix fluid (i.e. drain 5-6 quarts of ZF factory fill and add in another brand that meets the requirements). There are numerous reports of people using Mobil 1, Mercon SP, Amsoil, and even Maxlife in their ZFs. I haven't made a decision as of yet. ZF LG 6 is about double the price per "liter," which adds up really quick. Thanks for the insight on the TCU! From what I've read, the entire Genesis electrical system is very sensitive.. Certain systems on the car won't work correctly if the battery is getting older and if you don't replace it with a genuine Hyundai battery.

One last question.. I'm planning on doing the job myself and am going to replace the mechatronic sleeve seal, the bridge seal, and the 4 small tube seals. Once I refill, should I drive around for a couple hundred miles and then drain/refill again or is one drain/refill enough for another 30-40K miles?

Ducatislave

Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
Red Line specifically states their D6 ATF is a suitable match for ZF LG-6 fluid and that it meets the Shell 1375.4 spec. The owner's manual isn't gong to list out each manufacturer and specify which of their fluids to use, especially when the data is from 2009. The owner's manual states a spec the fluid you use must meet. Since my comment, I've already spoken with two reputable mechanics and they both told me they would simply use synthetic fluid from brand they carry (as long as it meets the spec) and it doesn't matter if you mix fluid (i.e. drain 5-6 quarts of ZF factory fill and add in another brand that meets the requirements). There are numerous reports of people using Mobil 1, Mercon SP, Amsoil, and even Maxlife in their ZFs. I haven't made a decision as of yet. ZF LG 6 is about double the price per "liter," which adds up really quick. Thanks for the insight on the TCU! From what I've read, the entire Genesis electrical system is very sensitive.. Certain systems on the car won't work correctly if the battery is getting older and if you don't replace it with a genuine Hyundai battery.

One last question.. I'm planning on doing the job myself and am going to replace the mechatronic sleeve seal, the bridge seal, and the 4 small tube seals. Once I refill, should I drive around for a couple hundred miles and then drain/refill again or is one drain/refill enough for another 30-40K miles?
I agree, I wasn't saying specific brand, just type. If it meets the spec called for then go ahead and use it. I did not have the spec in front of me when I composed the previous post so I wasn't about to say it was ok, just to make sure that they match.