2015 turn signal burnout problem

ksparks5

Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I read this thread with great interest because I too have had to change my front turn signal bulbs many times - more than on all the other cars I have ever owned, combined. This is unacceptable to me on any car. It is especially annoying on this car given all the effort required to change the passenger side bulb. I tried installing LED bulbs as a quick fix, but they didn't work. That set me on a mission to understand why and the findings are interesting, so I wanted to share.

The signal lamps in the "Type B" assemblies of the 2015 Genesis (attached) double as turn signal lights and daytime lights (DRLs), but they are not dual-function like a brake light (turn on, get brighter). They are single-function lights (turn on). If you activate a turn signal when the DRLs are on, the light will pulse on and off, not on, then brighter like a brake light. This is where it gets weird.

Instead of using a standard single function two-wire 1156 socket, my Genesis has modified two-wire 1157 sockets. So, only one of the two contacts and filaments in the 1157/2357 bulb is ever used. If this light was only being used as a turn signal, nobody would care. But the much higher demand of the DRL role is cooking through the limited lifespan of these bulbs, which has opened the door to using LEDs. And because they are using only one contact in a dual-contact socket, 1157/2357 LEDs may not always work.

To my knowledge, the two-wire 1157-style sockets in these headlight assemblies are a Hyundai-only part. I have no idea why Hyundai chose to modify a dual-function component to accommodate a single-function electrical requirement.

I am replacing my factory sockets with standard two-wire 1156 sockets that accommodate single-contact/single-filament bulbs. My hope is that the corresponding 1156 LED (https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-ZEVO-White-Contains-Bulbs/dp/B01A77QQTE/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1548694505&sr=8-14&keywords=1156+led&th=1) will work without issue; they only pull 1.5W compared to the 21W of the 1156 incandescent and are much more appropriate for the always-on load of a DRL.
Please let us all know how this works out, seems to be a HUGE concern for many people.

dbbalch

Registered Member
Maryland
Genesis Model Type
I read this thread with great interest because I too have had to change my front turn signal bulbs many times - more than on all the other cars I have ever owned, combined. This is unacceptable to me on any car. It is especially annoying on this car given all the effort required to change the passenger side bulb. I tried installing LED bulbs as a quick fix, but they didn't work. That set me on a mission to understand why and the findings are interesting, so I wanted to share.

The signal lamps in the "Type B" assemblies of the 2015 Genesis (attached) double as turn signal lights and daytime lights (DRLs), but they are not dual-function like a brake light (turn on, get brighter). They are single-function lights (turn on). If you activate a turn signal when the DRLs are on, the light will pulse on and off, not on, then brighter like a brake light. This is where it gets weird.

Instead of using a standard single function two-wire 1156 socket, my Genesis has modified two-wire 1157 sockets. So, only one of the two contacts and filaments in the 1157/2357 bulb is ever used. If this light was only being used as a turn signal, nobody would care. But the much higher demand of the DRL role is cooking through the limited lifespan of these bulbs, which has opened the door to using LEDs. And because they are using only one contact in a dual-contact socket, 1157/2357 LEDs may not always work.

To my knowledge, the two-wire 1157-style sockets in these headlight assemblies are a Hyundai-only part. I have no idea why Hyundai chose to modify a dual-function component to accommodate a single-function electrical requirement.

I am replacing my factory sockets with standard two-wire 1156 sockets that accommodate single-contact/single-filament bulbs. My hope is that the corresponding 1156 LED (https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-ZEVO-White-Contains-Bulbs/dp/B01A77QQTE/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1548694505&sr=8-14&keywords=1156+led&th=1) will work without issue; they only pull 1.5W compared to the 21W of the 1156 incandescent and are much more appropriate for the always-on load of a DRL.

I'll post an update with the results.
UPDATE:

Before going through all the trouble of replacing the sockets, I decided to revisit surprisinguy's suggestion to make sure the polarity was correct to the original sockets. In my case, they were fine so I decided to scrape the contact points inside the sockets and pry them out a bit to ensure tight connections to the new LED bulbs.

Turns out those loose connections were the problem in my case. My new 2357 Zevo LEDs now light up fine, but I do get continuous hyper-blinking when I use my turn signals. Interestingly enough, the hazard blinking is normal.

I'm installing a load equalizer on each socket tonight to correct the hyper-blinking and I'll be glad to put this whole thing in the rear-view mirror.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type

I'll post an update with the results.
What bulbs did you use for the repeat replacements? 1157 or 2357 bulbs?

dbbalch

Registered Member
Maryland
Genesis Model Type
What bulbs did you use for the repeat replacements? 1157 or 2357 bulbs?
I kept my original harnesses and used 2357 Sylvania Zevo bulbs. Had to scrape the contacts clean and pry them up/out a little to ensure snug contact with the bulbs. I chose to connect load equalizers (resistors) onto the harnesses to solve the hyper-blink condition introduced by the extremely low wattage load of the new LED bulbs.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
I kept my original harnesses and used 2357 Sylvania Zevo bulbs. Had to scrape the contacts clean and pry them up/out a little to ensure snug contact with the bulbs. I chose to connect load equalizers (resistors) onto the harnesses to solve the hyper-blink condition introduced by the extremely low wattage load of the new LED bulbs.
I am asking about the older bulbs that kept burning out you used before the LED bulbs.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
I was using 2357 bulbs
Thank you. I am using a set of Philips 2357NA long life bulbs to replace a passenger bulb that burned out in my 2015. The original driver side bulb was till good.

So far so good for the last few months that no DRL bulb has burned out. hopefully, I do not have the same issue you have with the bulb sockets blowing bulbs.

Note: The normal 2357 bulbs has a very short life by design. Brighter than 1157 bulbs, but shorter life span due to being used as an brake light in most cars. Poor choice for a DRL bulb, thanks Hyundai.:(

Hopefully the longlife version last a few years before they burn out. Philips claims the amber 2357NA bulbs I have are designed to be used as signal bulbs so hopefully they are designed to be used as DRL as well.

Last edited:

dbbalch

Registered Member
Maryland
Genesis Model Type
Thank you. I am using a set of Philips 2357NA long life bulbs to replace a passenger bulb that burned out in my 2015. The original driver side bulb was till good.

So far so good for the last few months that no DRL bulb has burned out. hopefully, I do not have the same issue you have with the bulb sockets blowing bulbs.

Note: The normal 2357 bulbs has a very short life by design. Brighter than 1157 bulbs, but shorter life span due to being used as an brake light in most cars. Poor choice for a DRL bulb, thanks Hyundai.:(

Hopefully the longlife version last a few years before they burn out. Philips claims the amber 2357NA bulbs I have are designed to be used as signal bulbs so hopefully they are designed to be used as DRL as well.
Sounds like a plan. Should you decide to go LED, the process is pretty well documented now.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Sounds like a plan. Should you decide to go LED, the process is pretty well documented now.
Thanks. I considered using LED replacements, but did not want to tap the wiring harness to install resisters nor deal with hyperflashing. If I do go the LED route in the future I would use switch back LED bulbs that are a bright white color as DRL and the turn an amber color for signaling. I have a set installed in Escalade, pretty cool how they work.

dbbalch

Registered Member
Maryland
Genesis Model Type
Thanks. I considered using LED replacements, but did not want to tap the wiring harness to install resisters nor deal with hyperflashing. If I do go the LED route in the future I would use switch back LED bulbs that are a bright white color as DRL and the turn an amber color for signaling. I have a set installed in Escalade, pretty cool how they work.
Curious to see if switchbacks will work as intended in the single-wire/single-function 1157-style Hyundai sockets. They don't have a second power wire and associated contact to activate the second function of dual-filament bulbs.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Curious to see if switchbacks will work as intended in the single-wire/single-function 1157-style Hyundai sockets. They don't have a second power wire and associated contact to activate the second function of dual-filament bulbs.
Hence ,another reason why I just used some amber 2357NA and called it a day.:) Too much work involved just for a DRL light. However, my sockets work with the two bulb contact pins so it may not be an issue in my car since the voltage changes from DRL to signaling just fine with my 2357 bulbs, so it should work with the LED switchback bulbs with the proper 2357 contact pins.

Last edited:

dbbalch

Registered Member
Maryland
Genesis Model Type
Hence ,another reason why I just used some amber 2357NA and called it a day.:) Too much work involved just for a DRL light. However, my sockets have two contact pins so it may not be an issue in my car since the voltage changes from DRL to signaling just fine with my 2357 bulbs, so it should work with the LED switchback bulbs with the proper 2357 contact pins.
I hear ya! Later models don't have this problem. I'm just dumbfounded it made it into the 2015 design in the first place.

This is what my sockets look like: two wires (power and ground) instead of the 3-wire (two power, 1 ground) of a normal 1157 socket. They modified a dual-function socket to serve a single-function need. My bulbs are either on or they are off. If the DRLs are on and I activate the turn signal, the lights pulse on/off, not on/bright like a typical two-function light. I have no problem with this, but still don't know why they used this weird part instead of a standard 1156 socket.

Attachments

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
I hear ya! Later models don't have this problem. I'm just dumbfounded it made it into the 2015 design in the first place.

This is what my sockets look like: two wires (power and ground) instead of the 3-wire (two power, 1 ground) of a normal 1157 socket. They modified a dual-function socket to serve a single-function need. My bulbs are either on or they are off. If the DRLs are on and I activate the turn signal, the lights pulse on/off, not on/bright like a typical two-function light. I have no problem with this, but still don't know why they used this weird part instead of a standard 1156 socket.
I honestly do not know if my sockets are different than yours. I did not get a good look at the actual contacts, hence why I will just say that my sockets work as intended with the 2357NA bulbs by staying on constantly as DRL and flashing as turn signals. The bulbs are a bright deep amber color and seems to be the same brightness whether as a DRL or signal light with no noticeable dimming.

If I did not have to take apart half the engine bay I would check to see how my harness bulb contacts compare to yours.

dbbalch

Registered Member
Maryland
Genesis Model Type
UPDATE:

Before going through all the trouble of replacing the sockets, I decided to revisit surprisinguy's suggestion to make sure the polarity was correct to the original sockets. In my case, they were fine so I decided to scrape the contact points inside the sockets and pry them out a bit to ensure tight connections to the new LED bulbs.

Turns out those loose connections were the problem in my case. My new 2357 Zevo LEDs now light up fine, but I do get continuous hyper-blinking when I use my turn signals. Interestingly enough, the hazard blinking is normal.

I'm installing a load equalizer on each socket tonight to correct the hyper-blinking and I'll be glad to put this whole thing in the rear-view mirror.
Important update to this project: I've removed the load equalizers for safety reasons. There is no place to safely mount the resistors inside the Genesis headlamp assembly. And they're just too hot to lay on the plastic housing - especially with sealing caps on the assemblies. Probably not an issue if you're just using the LEDs as blinkers, but there's just too much heat in the resistors with the DRLs on.

So, I'm content with hyper-blinking LEDs as an alternative to changing incandescents a few times a year.

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type
Important update to this project: I've removed the load equalizers for safety reasons. There is no place to safely mount the resistors inside the Genesis headlamp assembly. And they're just too hot to lay on the plastic housing - especially with sealing caps on the assemblies. Probably not an issue if you're just using the LEDs as blinkers, but there's just too much heat in the resistors with the DRLs on.

So, I'm content with hyper-blinking LEDs as an alternative to changing incandescents a few times a year.
I was actually coming to ask how you got load resistors designed for continuous duty lol. They get up to around 180 degrees on just extended flash cycles, with continuous burn I'd imagine they would self destruct.

surprisinguy

Registered Member
NC
Genesis Model Type
So, I'm content with hyper-blinking LEDs
You might want to try different LED brands to see if the hyper flashing stops. Mine seldom hyper flash, only sometimes sitting at a long light, then a quick off/on and they're back to normal

dbbalch

Registered Member
Maryland
Genesis Model Type
You might want to try different LED brands to see if the hyper flashing stops. Mine seldom hyper flash, only sometimes sitting at a long light, then a quick off/on and they're back to normal
This worked. I installed these 5.6 watt super-bright LED ambers and that did the trick. The system normally expects a 20 watt bulb in those sockets, but 5.6 watts is enough for the system to detect a working bulb and the hyper-flashing is no more. The Sylvania Zevo Ambers I started the project with don't pull near the wattage. Best I could tell was only .5 watts per bulb.

I feel like I drove half-way around the country to get next door :-/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076YVC7N6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type

Another reason why I do not want to deal with resisters. Heat and no place to install them without melting the plastic lighting housing. Plus, I can imagine the the resistors will fail due to the heat and fail probably before a set of 2357NA bulbs. So, not a real solution to the bulb burnout problem if the resistors do not last. Hyper-flashing is not an option for me.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
This worked. I installed these 5.6 watt super-bright LED ambers and that did the trick. The system normally expects a 20 watt bulb in those sockets, but 5.6 watts is enough for the system to detect a working bulb and the hyper-flashing is no more. The Sylvania Zevo Ambers I started the project with don't pull near the wattage. Best I could tell was only .5 watts per bulb.

I feel like I drove half-way around the country to get next door :-/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076YVC7N6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I will try these if my 2357NA bulbs fail prematurely.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.