• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Any of you have a headliner/sunroof noise issue?

PhenomChimp

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Does anyone else just hear the noise when the sunroof is in tilt position? For me it sounds like the sunroof is rattling a bit when going over bumps but only when it's partially opened, not fully open.

tarhoosier

Registered Member
Charlotte
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
What's unclear to me - assuming my adhesive theory is correct - is what exactly is the gooey adhesive touching which prompts the noise?
Speculation, perhaps in the Kia Stinger forum, was the adhesive does not stick tightly enough, and perhaps temperature, flexing, sunroof operation or other issues cause it to loosen just enough so it allows the action similar to a piece of wet chewing gum pushed up and down on a hard surface creating the sticking/unsticking sound. I read that speculation somewhere.
All is speculation

mrcleeaan

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Speculation, perhaps in the Kia Stinger forum, was the adhesive does not stick tightly enough, and perhaps temperature, flexing, sunroof operation or other issues cause it to loosen just enough so it allows the action similar to a piece of wet chewing gum pushed up and down on a hard surface creating the sticking/unsticking sound. I read that speculation somewhere.
All is speculation
If I could figure out exactly how to drop my headliner, I would do it to see what I can find. If it's due to the adhesive, I'll just cover it all up with an adhesive backed felt.

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
If I could figure out exactly how to drop my headliner, I would do it to see what I can find. If it's due to the adhesive, I'll just cover it all up with an adhesive backed felt.
I believe the way to drop the offending corner of the headliner (front passenger side) is to (1) remove the grab handle; (2) remove the sunvisor; (3) remove the a-pillar trim; and (4) remove the upper b-pillar trim, which necessitates removing the sill plates, lower b-pillar trim and unattaching the seatbelt.

My reluctance when I was trying to deal with it myself was removing the a-pillar trim because I didn't want to risk breaking the clips. I bet with just the a-pillar trim, grab handle and visor removed, you could probably get a decent amount of access even without messing with the b-pillar.

I got an alert on my phone telling me my car's alarm went off, and when I checked periodically over the last couple of hours they're opening and closing the doors, so that means that they're actually working on my car finally and I'll hopefully get it back after sitting at the dealer for three and a half weeks.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
That's what I was hoping, maybe removing the grab handle, visor and A pillar trim would allow enough access to see/fix the problem.

Revvdmedia

I don't want to add too much speculation and conjecture since I own a Stinger, not a G70, but I still feel the sunroof and headliners on our cars are similar enough that we may be able to draw similarities from our diagnostics. With that out of the way...

My dealer stated when they worked on mine, they "removed major components" and "dropped the roof trim" which I assume is the headliner. Unfortunately this was at a time when mornings were near freezing and would make the noises quiet or completely gone until it warmed up. The dealer test drove the car with "dropped roof trim" which is a little funny because I'm picturing the tech driving the car with the headliner dropped and his head sticking out the top of it to see...but regardless, they claim with the headliner removed, the noises were gone. This could have been fact, or could have been a false positive due to freezing temperatures, I am not sure.

If the roof trim is actually the offending unit, then we may still have similarities in that regard. I've found my car difficult to find the real culprit of the issue because it seems everything I poke and prod makes noise. My most recent proddings have resulted in finding the potential offender being area of the headliner on the right hand side of the sunroof opening. If I press up with reasonable force when it is making noise in this area, which may be me actually exerting enough force to press up against the right side of the sunroof frame, it seems more quiet. Releasing causes noises to continue. This could be a false positive, or could be the cause. Not sure if the issue is the headliner, the contact between the headliner and sunroof frame, or the sunroof frame itself.

The one anomaly in all of this is that closing the sunroof shade seems to muffle most noises. I feel the sunshade fabric feels like it slides between the sunroof frame and the headliner when you have it partially opened and start feeling around. Having this material in between the frame and headliner might be muffling the noises by reducing direct contact. Also, another odd item is that it is nearly silent when the glass is slid back. It makes me wonder if the weight of the glass being in the front portion of the area the sunroof parks is putting pressure on whatever contact points are making noise, but when the glass is slid back, the weight of the glass on the sunroof frame shifts, and reduced the tension on the contact points.

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I don't want to add too much speculation and conjecture since I own a Stinger, not a G70, but I still feel the sunroof and headliners on our cars are similar enough that we may be able to draw similarities from our diagnostics. With that out of the way...

My dealer stated when they worked on mine, they "removed major components" and "dropped the roof trim" which I assume is the headliner. Unfortunately this was at a time when mornings were near freezing and would make the noises quiet or completely gone until it warmed up. The dealer test drove the car with "dropped roof trim" which is a little funny because I'm picturing the tech driving the car with the headliner dropped and his head sticking out the top of it to see...but regardless, they claim with the headliner removed, the noises were gone. This could have been fact, or could have been a false positive due to freezing temperatures, I am not sure.

If the roof trim is actually the offending unit, then we may still have similarities in that regard. I've found my car difficult to find the real culprit of the issue because it seems everything I poke and prod makes noise. My most recent proddings have resulted in finding the potential offender being area of the headliner on the right hand side of the sunroof opening. If I press up with reasonable force when it is making noise in this area, which may be me actually exerting enough force to press up against the right side of the sunroof frame, it seems more quiet. Releasing causes noises to continue. This could be a false positive, or could be the cause. Not sure if the issue is the headliner, the contact between the headliner and sunroof frame, or the sunroof frame itself.

The one anomaly in all of this is that closing the sunroof shade seems to muffle most noises. I feel the sunshade fabric feels like it slides between the sunroof frame and the headliner when you have it partially opened and start feeling around. Having this material in between the frame and headliner might be muffling the noises by reducing direct contact. Also, another odd item is that it is nearly silent when the glass is slid back. It makes me wonder if the weight of the glass being in the front portion of the area the sunroof parks is putting pressure on whatever contact points are making noise, but when the glass is slid back, the weight of the glass on the sunroof frame shifts, and reduced the tension on the contact points.
My proddings only produce noise in the front passenger area, which sounds similar to at least part of what you're describing. Same with the relation to the heat, and I can also make the noise reduce or stop if I'm pressing up on the area where its coming from while driving. My noise, however, is not affected by whether the sunroof or sunshade is open, so I don't think it has anything to do with the actual pane of glass, per se.

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Well, the good news is that after 3 and a half weeks, I finally got my car back. The bad news is, despite writing on the service invoice that they changed some stuff and the noise was gone, it's definitely STILL THERE.

I pulled down the headliner once I heard the noise, which managed to stay away for about 15 minutes after I left the dealership. I can feel the area where the noise is coming from near the grab handle, and they definitely put some felt in there. They also replaced the grab handle mounting assembly. None of these things solved the problem.

At this point, I'm dealing with it myself. The dealers obviously can't fix it, and the only thing that happens when anyone brings it there is that they end up losing another few weeks in the car. Very aggravating...

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
If there's any silver lining (albeit unintentional), at least the dealership left the A-pillar trim very loose, so now it just pops right out with no effort once the weatherstripping is removed. This should give me some more access when and if I want to get under there.

After playing around with it a bit and doing a few laps of the parking lot at work (in lieu of actually doing any work), I wonder if it isn't the adhesive rubbing ON something, but rather the adhesive cracking solely because the headliner is flexing as the car drives. It makes some sense as the noise was most pronounced when making a turn onto a steep uphill transition, where the body was maximally flexed.

The annoying part is, once I had made the appointment but before I brought the car in, I think I actually got the creaking to stop by stuffing a piece of an old t-shirt into that little channel next to the grab handle mount. I had tried the same thing a zillion times before and the sound always persisted, but I think I had gotten it exactly right that one time, because it was dead quiet even on a 95 degree day right before I took it in. I should have just left well enough alone, but I figured it would come back eventually and I wanted to get it taken care of. Lesson learned.

TLDR: the saga continues.

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I believe the way to drop the offending corner of the headliner (front passenger side) is to (1) remove the grab handle; (2) remove the sunvisor; (3) remove the a-pillar trim; and (4) remove the upper b-pillar trim, which necessitates removing the sill plates, lower b-pillar trim and unattaching the seatbelt.
Your on the right track. Add in the removal of the roof center console and any roof mounted lights and probably rubber molding around the sun roof may have to come down too. The internal plastic pillars will be a little scary pulling out for you will think something is going to break before they pop off. Never done work on a Genesis but have on other cars interiors and nothing broke. Door panels are where I normally break clips. Until a member here drops the headliner to see the entire inside of the roof, we probably won’t have a good root cause. I don’t trust dealers to figure this out. Dropping the headliner to the tops of the seats I think will reveal what all potential causes may exist? If it’s pookey adhesive, scrap it off or add some carpet padding or similar to those areas and see what happens?

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Your on the right track. Add in the removal of the roof center console and any roof mounted lights and probably rubber molding around the sun roof may have to come down too. The internal plastic pillars will be a little scary pulling out for you will think something is going to break before they pop off. Never done work on a Genesis but have on other cars interiors and nothing broke. Door panels are where I normally break clips. Until a member here drops the headliner to see the entire inside of the roof, we probably won’t have a good root cause. I don’t trust dealers to figure this out. Dropping the headliner to the tops of the seats I think will reveal what all potential causes may exist? If it’s pookey adhesive, scrap it off or add some carpet padding or similar to those areas and see what happens?
Well the most instructive post on that point so far was on page 13 (?) of this thread, where tdefrees actually posted a picture of the underside of the headliner and the globs of adhesive are plainly visible.

Eyeswideopen11

Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
The popping noise is on the drivers side for my and it occurs when I am driving slow or fast, sunroof opened or closed. Dealer suggested that I lubricate the seal, but that didn't stop the noise. It is really annoying. If anyone has had any luck with getting it fixed I would appreciate and advice.

Revvdmedia

The popping noise is on the drivers side for my and it occurs when I am driving slow or fast, sunroof opened or closed. Dealer suggested that I lubricate the seal, but that didn't stop the noise. It is really annoying. If anyone has had any luck with getting it fixed I would appreciate and advice.
If lubricating the seal does not work, you're left with having the dealer fix it. There is no absolute solution for this yet, but there are many of us working on having it fixed through the dealer, both on the Genesis and Kia (Stinger) side, hoping the fix for one also resolves the other. Once HKG makes some headway into solving the root of the problem, cheaply, they may issue a TSB. I'm betting on dropping the headliner and playing with the mounting bolts for the sunroof, but that's just my guess.

The only people so far that have had any success had their entire sunroof assembly replaced. I don't see that being a real fix, there has to be a more efficient way, we just need to wait [im]patiently for it.

Eyeswideopen11

Genesis Model Type
Thanks for the info. I agree that it may be the mount. If the roof is open and I put my fingers on the mount and put pressure on it it will stop the noise.

Eyeswideopen11

Genesis Model Type
One other question, will the dealer still replace if you are passed the warranty coverage period since this is a known issue? Or is this something I need to contact Hyundai about.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums