• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Any of you have a headliner/sunroof noise issue?

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
With the weather turning cooler (at least in a lot of the country), us with the heat-related rattle should at least get some relief.

As for me, following the dealer's failure to fix the issue, I'm back to the brute-force approach. I stuffed part of a t-shirt in the channel up in the headliner next to the grab handle. Since they left the A-pillar trim loose, I stuck my hand in there and pulled out some adhesive that seemed to serve no purpose whatsoever and stuffed a bit more fabric up in there. Finally, I took some more fabric (this time a piece of old boxer shorts, gonna get a whole outfit up there eventually) and shoved it up under the leading edge of the headliner.

My goal is basically to reduce the amount the headliner can flex. For instance, in the section where the rattle was most prevalent by the grab handle and I could easily provoke it by poking on the spot, I can now poke the spot and the headliner barely yields at all. So far, even though it hasn't been absurdly hot, the noise seems to have been mitigated greatly or eliminated. Whether that's a result of the weather or my "fix" remains to be seen.

The downside I suppose is that if I'm in an accident and the side airbag blows, there's a not insubstantial change my wife will get a balled-up t-shirt to the face. I explained to her that I believed this was a worthwhile price to pay. Tired of hearing me bitch about this, she grudgingly agreed.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Maybe a three piece suit. Or better yet, how about an old speedo. I seem to remember things used to get quiet when I wore one. 😂
Seriously, the cool weather will be nice. We'll have to see how it is next summer. If my noise comes back and they don't have a good fix for it, I'll be digging around in there too.

Revvdmedia

Registered Member
I have also considered trying to wedge something into the area I think the noises are coming from. I think the primary sources of my noises are between the headliner and the right side frame of the sunroof, so maybe I can wedge some fabric between the headliner and the sunroof frame and see some relief. I too have weather dependent noises so below zero winters means it should be mostly quiet again.

Funny posts by the way lmao.

rkar

Registered Member
I'm having the exact same issues with my headliner as well. I can DEFINITELY feel the entire headliner "flex" when going up or down a drive way at an angle or any sort of angled bump so to speak. You can feel the whole thing flex and kind make the popping sounds. IT IS VERY f$%king ANNOYING FOR A BRAND NEW 50K DOLLAR CAR! I don't feel like taking it in since the dealers don't have a real fix to this issue. What's the point? My car is going to be stuck at the dealer for a few weeks, I'm certain the noise is going to come back. The heat does definitely make it worse, when it is cooler outside the popping sound is not as bad or as much. It just sucks for a brand new car. This might turn me off for a future consideration of a genesis. I also get a rattle in the front where the AC controls are, the front control panel. Very annoying.

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have also considered trying to wedge something into the area I think the noises are coming from. I think the primary sources of my noises are between the headliner and the right side frame of the sunroof, so maybe I can wedge some fabric between the headliner and the sunroof frame and see some relief. I too have weather dependent noises so below zero winters means it should be mostly quiet again.

Funny posts by the way lmao.
It quieted down until today, when I was driving and it was definitely making the noise, albeit muffled. Took out the weatherstripping, poked my homemade "insulation" around a bit and it quieted down. It wasn't even that hot today (75-80) but it was sunny.

For me, once ambient temps drop below 70 or so, the noise completely goes away.

mrcleeaan

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It quieted down until today, when I was driving and it was definitely making the noise, albeit muffled. Took out the weatherstripping, poked my homemade "insulation" around a bit and it quieted down. It wasn't even that hot today (75-80) but it was sunny.

For me, once ambient temps drop below 70 or so, the noise completely goes away.
Does yours go away if you tilt/open sunroof?

Revvdmedia

Registered Member
Next person to have the headliner removed, beg the repairing facility to leave the car out in the heat with the headliner removed and see if the noise is still present. Doing this would almost definitely narrow down the issue to either the headliner or sunroof itself. If the noises are present with the headliner removed, then get another tech in the car and start pressing on things until it becomes quiet. At least that's how I would tackle it.

Space Architect

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I've been searching for this topic for some time, and am glad (sorta) to find that I'm not the only one having this issue. I've gone so far as to record video of my sunroof/headliner noise so that I can eventually share with the Dealer. I'm still leaning towards not even addressing it though, for fear that they won't be able to fix it. Does anybody know if Hyundai/Genesis has even acknowledged that this is an issue? My G70 has about 3k miles, and I really started noticing this just about 1k miles ago, particularly on hot days. I've found that opening then closing the sunroof will reduce the noises, but they always return after the car has been sitting closed up under the sun.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Welcome. I'm one who also has this annoying heat-related issue, although I haven't talked to the dealer about it yet. Sorry to hear that you do as well. It does seem that at least a certain percentage of these cars have some sort of design/construction defect in common. I would like to think that there is a relatively simple yet effective fix, but nobody seems to have one yet. I think the difficulty and potential cost associated with messing with the headliner is intimidating, so many are inclined to just put up with it. It's too bad, because it feels like just a bit of padding or a squirt of the right adhesive in the right spot would fix it.
Hopefully, if this comes up enough, Genesis will have a TSB or something telling the dealers how to fix it.

CobraBob

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm so used to the muffled rattle that I'm well past the "annoyed" stage. I've accepted it and will only deal with it at the dealership if it gets worse. The thought of my dealership taking apart my interior to ATTEMPT to fix it isn't worth it to me. I'm just glad it isn't louder, to the point of being forced to have it fixed. Sad thing is that nobody apparently has had it fixed 100%. That's doesn't bode well for anyone daring enough to leave it with their dealer for multiple weeks. I'll just leave it "noted" in my head and move forward.

Revvdmedia

Registered Member
On the topic of sealant/silicone being a potential cause of noise, I snagged a copy of the KGIS repair manual for the Stinger, the entire sunroof assembly has sealant between the body and the sunroof around the entire perimeter...food for thought lol.

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
On the topic of sealant/silicone being a potential cause of noise, I snagged a copy of the KGIS repair manual for the Stinger, the entire sunroof assembly has sealant between the body and the sunroof around the entire perimeter...food for thought lol.
If so, hopefully it’s a true RTV sealant that fully cures and drys. Not one of the sealants that stays gummy and tacky. Someone here had the dealer replace the whole sunroof assembly. Not sure of the long term success or failure of that replacement though.

CobraBob

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Took my G70 to a concert yesterday which was an hour trip each way. It was cool, around 60 degrees. No rattles. Silent! Taking it out again next Friday for a 3 hour foliage drive in CT, so I'll see if the cool weather again results in 'no rattles/noise' from headliner area.

Revvdmedia

Registered Member
If so, hopefully it’s a true RTV sealant that fully cures and drys. Not one of the sealants that stays gummy and tacky. Someone here had the dealer replace the whole sunroof assembly. Not sure of the long term success or failure of that replacement though.
The manual called out using wire to cut the adhesive so I would assume it does cure as a sealant.

gbgary

just joined. please tell me this is strictly sunroof models only.

gbgary

We have had very few non-sunroof members and they have not reported the issue.
thanks. test drove one yesterday. as i made the turn out of the car's parking spot at the dealer i heard this noise that sounded like i drove over a small tree branch (popping, crackling). got out and looked...nothing. i assume his is the problem. loved the car!! living in the dallas area it's hot for most of the year. guess i'll avoid the sunroof. ugh!

H.Wan

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
2020 G70 3.3T Prestige, 2300km, less than 2 months new....
sunroof /headliner starts rattling on mine......underground parking at home and work, heat/UV shouldn't be the cause.

Last edited:
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums