Blind Spot Detection - Fix or Replace BSD

Gebop

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
well in my experience, I trade my wife's 2007 Camry Hybrid for a 2017, she had a no fault accident in 2008 when a 14 year old joy riding in his brothers car t-boned her making an illegal left turn. $18,000 in damage. whole front end was smashed and the "A" pillars buckled. at the time the car was worth about $35K so the insurance repaired it. My wife drove it another 8.5 years with no other issues.

it was on Carfax, and the dealership mentioned that they automatically auction cars that have accidents listed, they don't put them on their lots (also cars with over 100K), fair trade on the car was $5100 at the time, we got $5000 for it.. so IMO it made no difference for us. $100 wasn't anything to cry over.

We filed for diminished value and got $3,400 from the insurance company in 2010. Our insurance company didn't even bat an eye at it, because they sued the snot out of the other party and garnished the parents and brothers wages as a result of the police report and the fact that this 14 year old had a history of doing this, already had 4 tickets and was blocked from getting his license until he was 21. Last I heard from my agent it took 10 years to get the $25K + attorney fees back, so they had to be taking $200-$300 a month from the parents.

I recently filed for Diminished Value on my G80 and was awarded $3,900; it cost me $190 for the DV report, $150 for the small claims filing, and 1 day of my time.. I am now pursuing wage garnishment. That will cost me $250-$500ish.. so I lose $600-$900 of $3,900, but technically I am not losing anything because I factored in all the expenses when I filed the claim.. It also helps that the other party opted not to show up and I won by default, but an inch or a mile, a win is a win.
Interesting to hear your experiences. Thanks for sharing. Not sure if the law of small number makes something like this less fruitful in my situation; especially where fault may be in a gray area as it relates to an insurance claim. I had an experience 20 years ago where I literally rolled in to another car that was going right at a three way stop, when I looked left and she slammed on the brakes of her Mary Kay car. Less than a $100 of paint damage, but she called for an ambulance and spun the accident in to a $10,000 claim. Hartford paid the claim and tripled my rates; a lingering thought that adds to my anxiety about what the true cost of filing a claim here could be, if fault is not clearly assigned to the other driver.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Interesting to hear your experiences. Thanks for sharing. Not sure if the law of small number makes something like this less fruitful in my situation; especially where fault may be in a gray area as it relates to an insurance claim. I had an experience 20 years ago where I literally rolled in to another car that was going right at a three way stop, when I looked left and she slammed on the brakes of her Mary Kay car. Less than a $100 of paint damage, but she called for an ambulance and spun the accident in to a $10,000 claim. Hartford paid the claim and tripled my rates; a lingering thought that adds to my anxiety about what the true cost of filing a claim here could be, if fault is not clearly assigned to the other driver.

unfortunately "fault" is defined by the claims departments of the insurance companies and not by any real investigative service like the PD.

I was lucky in that my G80 was rear ended on a highway and I had front and rear dash cameras that clearly showed I was stopped for full 8 seconds before he slammed into me, in addition he admitted to texting while driving, not aware I was still recording on the dash camera and the mics were turned on, we were standing next to my car with the windows open..

he did try an claim that I "backed up" on the freeway and hit him, his story was that I was trying to back up and go around stopped traffic. He didn't know I had dash cameras and had turned the video over to his insurance company. I filed claims with both his and my company immediately after the accident, this way I was first to report it and open the dialog, with my agent, he held the claim until I got no satisfaction from the other insurance, then he processed my claim when I asked, but the claim number was issued and report was taken the day of the accident.

Not my first time dealing with unscrupulous people or their cut rate insurance companies.

12 years ago a lady ran a stop sign, making a left into the far right lane of a 3 lane highway and broadsided my 75 year old mother.. A magic witness showed up and claimed my mother ran the stop sign, 50/50 fault was given to both parties by the insurance investigator, but luckily I was able to obtain video of the accident from a business that was on that corner and had their cameras aimed at the parking lot, which picked up the intersection. After submitting the video my mothers fault was reduced to 10%, but she wasn't anywhere near at fault, IMO the problem was she waited to file trying to work it out with the other party because they "didn't want a claim" only they had filed immediately after the accident, and the "magic witness" got into her truck when they drove away, so IMO it was a setup, hit the little old lady in the big caddy and file a big claim.

from that day forward all my cars got front and rear dash cameras. I'm now even considering side view because of I have nearly run off the road a few times from distracted morons.

Gebop

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
unfortunately "fault" is defined by the claims departments of the insurance companies and not by any real investigative service like the PD.

I was lucky in that my G80 was rear ended on a highway and I had front and rear dash cameras that clearly showed I was stopped for full 8 seconds before he slammed into me, in addition he admitted to texting while driving, not aware I was still recording on the dash camera and the mics were turned on, we were standing next to my car with the windows open..

he did try an claim that I "backed up" on the freeway and hit him, his story was that I was trying to back up and go around stopped traffic. He didn't know I had dash cameras and had turned the video over to his insurance company. I filed claims with both his and my company immediately after the accident, this way I was first to report it and open the dialog, with my agent, he held the claim until I got no satisfaction from the other insurance, then he processed my claim when I asked, but the claim number was issued and report was taken the day of the accident.

Not my first time dealing with unscrupulous people or their cut rate insurance companies.

12 years ago a lady ran a stop sign, making a left into the far right lane of a 3 lane highway and broadsided my 75 year old mother.. A magic witness showed up and claimed my mother ran the stop sign, 50/50 fault was given to both parties by the insurance investigator, but luckily I was able to obtain video of the accident from a business that was on that corner and had their cameras aimed at the parking lot, which picked up the intersection. After submitting the video my mothers fault was reduced to 10%, but she wasn't anywhere near at fault, IMO the problem was she waited to file trying to work it out with the other party because they "didn't want a claim" only they had filed immediately after the accident, and the "magic witness" got into her truck when they drove away, so IMO it was a setup, hit the little old lady in the big caddy and file a big claim.

from that day forward all my cars got front and rear dash cameras. I'm now even considering side view because of I have nearly run off the road a few times from distracted morons.
Wow. No end to the head shaking accident stories with insurance claims involved. I haven't gone beyond a passing interest in dash cams, but you've given me some serious food for thought. I've never thought of side view cameras, but would have helped me with the time 13 years ago when a truck sideswiped me and drove me in to the triangle barrier on a freeway on-ramp, resulting in my car being totaled. Driver was on his cellphone and just drove on without stopping. Interestingly enough, the Highway Patrol Trooper that responded told me the same thing happened to her - while she was driving her patrol car! I also got burned on the payout from that accident for $4k in aftermarket wheels and tires. I had made a point of asking my insurance agent if I needed a rider for the new wheels and tires and was told me they were covered. That was true if the car was in an accident where the car wasn't totaled (they would be replaced with match) but weren't a positive value adjustment unless there was a rider that covered non-stock wheels.

Nikhil Malhotra

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type

Which dashcam do you use on the G80 . Any recommendations.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Which dashcam do you use on the G80 . Any recommendations.
I use the Veckle Mini 0906 on all our cars:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0746BCFBF/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4 years no issues, mine has been transferred between 3 cars.

one thing I like about it is that it seems to be designed to handle the excess heat associated with SoCal summers and a locked car sitting in the sun. I've had a few that pooped out after sitting all day in the work parking lot.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Wow. No end to the head shaking accident stories with insurance claims involved. I haven't gone beyond a passing interest in dash cams, but you've given me some serious food for thought. I've never thought of side view cameras, but would have helped me with the time 13 years ago when a truck sideswiped me and drove me in to the triangle barrier on a freeway on-ramp, resulting in my car being totaled. Driver was on his cellphone and just drove on without stopping. Interestingly enough, the Highway Patrol Trooper that responded told me the same thing happened to her - while she was driving her patrol car! I also got burned on the payout from that accident for $4k in aftermarket wheels and tires. I had made a point of asking my insurance agent if I needed a rider for the new wheels and tires and was told me they were covered. That was true if the car was in an accident where the car wasn't totaled (they would be replaced with match) but weren't a positive value adjustment unless there was a rider that covered non-stock wheels.

yeah I've run in to the rider issue as well, but with paint. having custom cars, hot rods, show cars over the years. I had a 1932 Ford 5 Window with custom paint some jack hat keyed all sides. without the paint rider it would not have been covered. the paint was highly custom and cost over $15K. and was not blendable, the whole car had to be repainted, that was 20 years ago, and State Farm was not happy, however again no fault so no rate hike.

I'll say State Farm over all has been good to me for 35+ years, never really had an issue with them, and I've had the same agent since I was 15 1/2, which was my dads agent prior. Gary is nearing retirement I think he is 67 now. but his son is taking over so I will likely stay with his franchise. He's always been on top of things for me, and what impresses me most is every couple of years I will do some comparison shopping for rates and he will match them, and I know he takes a cut in his commission when he does this, but he has me and my whole family, mom, several cousins, uncle, etc. So I think he sees the bigger pictures and doesn't stress losing a couple hundred in commission, I'm sure he makes it up elsewhere with a not so committed life long customer.

Last edited:

need4spd

Registered Member
Good to know about the Diminished Value, I did not hear of that, wonder if my state does it.

Regarding the OP, I do not have a manual on it, I had a friend who has a body shop, they did it for me and straightened the brackets. They did say the bumper on the Genny is hard to remove, the tail lights had to come out first, and there were lots of clips everywhere, some on the bottom only accessible inside the trunk, so they left those on and pulled the top of the bumper away from the car, letting it hang from the bottom clips.

Unfortunately even though they had a special tablet hookup to fix most cars, Hyundai does not let them reset/calibrate the BSD sensor (he has done it on other hyundai's, other cars, and even a Tesla with the same equipment).

I ultimately had to go to the dealer to have it calibrated, they said the charge is 1 hour min, but when I went to check out they only charged $80 to do it, being nice and doing the other services there I guess helped.

Anyway, sounds like you need to talk to the person who hit you and either a) they pay for this, or b) go though your insurance for the rest. If it is not a bent bracket, it can cost you list $1500 for the part, or used, around 300-400 on ebay, and in all cases it sounds like you need to visit the dealer to recalibrate the BSD sensor.

Gebop

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Good to know about the Diminished Value, I did not hear of that, wonder if my state does it.

Regarding the OP, I do not have a manual on it, I had a friend who has a body shop, they did it for me and straightened the brackets. They did say the bumper on the Genny is hard to remove, the tail lights had to come out first, and there were lots of clips everywhere, some on the bottom only accessible inside the trunk, so they left those on and pulled the top of the bumper away from the car, letting it hang from the bottom clips.

Unfortunately even though they had a special tablet hookup to fix most cars, Hyundai does not let them reset/calibrate the BSD sensor (he has done it on other hyundai's, other cars, and even a Tesla with the same equipment).

I ultimately had to go to the dealer to have it calibrated, they said the charge is 1 hour min, but when I went to check out they only charged $80 to do it, being nice and doing the other services there I guess helped.

Anyway, sounds like you need to talk to the person who hit you and either a) they pay for this, or b) go though your insurance for the rest. If it is not a bent bracket, it can cost you list $1500 for the part, or used, around 300-400 on ebay, and in all cases it sounds like you need to visit the dealer to recalibrate the BSD sensor.
Thank you for the added details. I may go online and pay for the shop manual (I think you can get a one day download pass) and see what all is involved with the bumper skin removal. I may buy a clip tool while I'm at it as there are tons of them on the underside of the Genesis and even an oil change is a PITA with all of those clips.

Sort of expected the calibration to be a dealer trip with their proprietary approach to diagnostic tools. I don't think the engineering service screens can perform a system reset, but that might be something worth a look and I've seen the access sequence described here and elsewhere. I've also watched a YouTube from SnapOn with their diagnostic tool doing the re-calibration (it was a 2014 Santa Fe), so that may be another option. Interesting comment mentioned the finicky nature of the Hyundai BSD (read: sucks) and the fact that sometimes the re-calibration doesn't stick.

Here are some still pics from the above video showing the diagnostic/calibration screens for the BSD.

need4spd

Registered Member
My friend had the snap on tool for this, that's the one he has used on other cars. Unfortunately it did not work, we even tried to fake it was a SantaFe, lol, which it could do, but it said that there was a security lockout so you couldn't fake it.

Good luck, are you sure you don't want to contact your agent?

Gebop

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Just a quick follow-up... I've had a busy travel schedule and today was the first day behind the wheel of the Genesis in over a week. Driving along not even thinking about the BSD being out and then out of nowhere, my right side mirror starts flashing the BSD warning. I have no idea why this is the case, but for now, the systems seems to be active and the repair warning is not lighting up. Thanks be to Him.

need4spd

Registered Member
Unfortunately my BSD failed again, it was working fine for 2 weeks of local driving, but when on a trip after about an hour of highway, if failed again, and there seems to be a pattern where it only fails after around an hour on the highway, very odd.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Loos
Unfortunately my BSD failed again, it was working fine for 2 weeks of local driving, but when on a trip after about an hour of highway, if failed again, and there seems to be a pattern where it only fails after around an hour on the highway, very odd.

Maybe loose bracket and the vibration is causing it.

need4spd

Registered Member
Thanks Mr. Incredible, for the feedback, all brackets are tight, we checked when we had the rear bumper off.

Even with the bracket bent on the one side it was the same thing, an hour of highway drives make it alarm, so it is really odd.

When it was straightened out, all looked good and worked fine on highway (short 15 to 20 minute rides), and mostly around town driving

Pretty puzzled.:unsure:

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
well there is no saying what if any damage was done to the actual module itself when you where hit.. makes one wonder if it is overheating or some such after a period of time as the result of some type of internal damage or short..

IMO the only way to know for sure is to replace the module and see if the issue persists.. sadly that is going to be an expensive venture. .

though there used ones out there, no way to know if they are hit or miss.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
wow look I found a new in box, Right Side, on ebay for $250:

probably the best price you will find, all the other new in box are $400 - $900.

my concern would be the seller, as it appears they have never sold anything.. hopefully they bought it and discovered they couldn't use it,

However it does appear that Ebay has a guaranty with this seller (top right above seller name) that if you don't get the item, or it isn't as described (i.e. "new in box") then ebay will get your money back.

need4spd

Registered Member
wow look I found a new in box, Right Side, on ebay for $250:

[/URL]

probably the best price you will find, all the other new in box are $400 - $900.

my concern would be the seller, as it appears they have never sold anything.. hopefully they bought it and discovered they couldn't use it,

However it does appear that Ebay has a guaranty with this seller (top right above seller name) that if you don't get the item, or it isn't as described (i.e. "new in box") then ebay will get your money back.
Thanks for checking and the info. That is a great price for a new unit.

Unfortunately the issue is with the driver side (Left) unit. :(

Gebop

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
no problem, I am not the OP, I kind of latched onto this thread, thanks again.
I saw that. Lol. All good.

Sad update: my BSD is out again. Hoping it comes back on; but even then, the problem would be an annoying intermittent issue. Drat! Thought I dodged the bullet.

Westy

Hasn't posted much yet...
Ontario
I have the same problem . Hyundai dealer re calibrated it which held for a week then it happened again . Dealer said the fix is to replace the entire BSD system at $1400 CAD . Whatever was my reply ... likely a short or something since its intermittent . Unfortunately same old hyundai dealer service . Many hyundai models suffer from this ailment there must be a simple fix . Perhaps debrix or salt ?? In Ontario ..

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.