• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Break-In Period?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Yeah...it has been a while.

Just to be sure...looking for an update on krobin350's car that stalled/died in the middle of the intersection, etc.
I just talked to him. Tow truck is about an hour away. He's been surviving on food from passing motorists though, so he is OK.

krobin350

Registered Member
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
the source of the smoke was coming from a metal harness inside the fuse box... completely fried. I noticed the fuse box cover looked odd when tow truck driver gave the the car a jump, didn't look into the actual panel then. btw... I was curious how to jump the battery if it was in the trunk, but there are terminals in the fuse box if anyone was wondering. they only removed spare to access the battery when they wanted to give it more juice to start.
apparently this is the 1st G70 that corporate is aware of that has had any type of issue. so naturally, just about everyone is monitoring it. and because it's the first, no dealer has parts for them. new harnesses are coming directly from Korea.
so stay tuned... all I got so far.

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
the source of the smoke was coming from a metal harness inside the fuse box... completely fried. I noticed the fuse box cover looked odd when tow truck driver gave the the car a jump, didn't look into the actual panel then. btw... I was curious how to jump the battery if it was in the trunk, but there are terminals in the fuse box if anyone was wondering. they only removed spare to access the battery when they wanted to give it more juice to start.
apparently this is the 1st G70 that corporate is aware of that has had any type of issue. so naturally, just about everyone is monitoring it. and because it's the first, no dealer has parts for them. new harnesses are coming directly from Korea.
so stay tuned... all I got so far.
Thank you for the update. I assume they are treating you well? Do you know what caused it to burn up? Did you get a Genesis temp car?

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
world class service all around thus far! and I was upgraded to a Sonata.
Sonata? Man, that’s a bummer. They really need to get genesis loaners to everyone if they want to separate the perception of the two brands

Edit: glad you’re being taken care of appropriately. Waiting for parts isn’t fun, but that’s one thing we’ve all had to do so not too out of the ordinary

Last edited:

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It is probably just the situation since there are no Genesis vehicles in Texas, or at least at his dealer, yet. Hopefully all the dealers will offer comparable Genesis vehicles once the inventory is more flushed out.

@krobin350, glad to hear things are moving along. Continued patience and good luck to you.
Maybe it’s a crazy thought, but the only ‘COTY’ and all the other accolades g70 to have a major mechanical breakdown...if I was them I would have someone drive a genesis down to him to use. I know that could be a litttle extreme but I’ve seen crazier things done for less inconvenience caused

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Maybe it’s a crazy thought, but the only ‘COTY’ and all the other accolades g70 to have a major mechanical breakdown...if I was them I would have someone drive a genesis down to him to use. I know that could be a litttle extreme but I’ve seen crazier things done for less inconvenience caused
Or deliver a replacement G70 to him and fix the other one and sell as used--because it seems, hopefully, a very isolated incidence.
Admittedly--crazy thought--and, with tag, tax, title, perhaps not workable. But dang this is an unusual situation.

As an aside--very much appreciate the update!!

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Or deliver a replacement G70 to him and fix the other one and sell as used--because it seems, hopefully, a very isolated incidence.
Admittedly--crazy thought--and, with tag, tax, title, perhaps not workable. But dang this is an unusual situation.

As an aside--very much appreciate the update!!
That will never happen.

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
That will never happen.
I don't disagree--which is why I mentioned "crazy thought" --oh well. At least they are figuring out what happened and providing a replacement car.

mikemu30

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Sonata? Man, that’s a bummer. They really need to get genesis loaners to everyone if they want to separate the perception of the two brands

Edit: glad you’re being taken care of appropriately. Waiting for parts isn’t fun, but that’s one thing we’ve all had to do so not too out of the ordinary
Funny my neighbor who owns a Sonata recently received a G80 as a loaner. Go figure.

Cowtown

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Greater Victoria, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I was one of the first in Western Canada to get a Mazda 3 when they were new and after just 3 months the fuel pump went on it. Mazda didn't have the part, in fact it was found to be faulty design entirely. They had to get a different parts manufacturer to tool up a new run of a different design and then ship it over from Japan. That took nearly 8 weeks. They paid for rental cars but it was garbage over garbage in that experience. Mazda did a good job, the dealership didn't. After nearly 8 weeks on the lot waiting for that part they put it in and handed it back to me with 8 weeks of dirt and grime and crap on it, completely filthy. I took them to task on it and the dealership manager went and gave me a free service and some free cleaning vouchers.

So that all said this stuff happens, the experience didn't tarnish my impression of Mazda, my previous Protégé 5 was flawless, long term. That dealership it certainly did. I never went back after my lease was up on the 3 and I told people to not go there anymore and that was after I brought them three of my friends who all bought cars.