Changing Genesis Battery - No Small Task

landtuna

Registered Member
Sandstorm, AZ
The last time I bought tires from CostCo was long before nitrogen was being used to fill them but it is nice they will fill them free. Keeping proper pressure in the tires is especially important for low profile tires and, as you say, rotating them on a regular basis will increase their life. But I do my pressures from my own air pump for an entirely different reason - to check for deterioration and punctures. For whatever reason I seem to pick up finishing nails and other very small but sharp objects in my tires which usually do not lead to air loss - at least not immediately. Checking air pressure every couple of weeks allows me to inspect each tire and make sure nothing nasty is taking place.

Our local Discount Tire shops will also do a free air check anytime. I am not sure if they will refill with nitrogen but, as I stated earlier, it isn't an issue for me.

Dawg

Registered Member
Atlanta Burbs
Yes NAPA The Legend AGM Premium for $204.99. The mechanic marked it up $30 I guess to install. I think I got duped on the warranty though you're right. But I cranked it up this morning and sounded like a new machine. I could tell it was getting weaker the last few months. No regrets other than I wish who really made this battery and if it is a good one

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all the info Mark. Is East Penn Manufacturing a good brand? I felt I was really on borrowed time and with temps dropping in the 20's this week here in ATL I made a hasty but yet I think "no so bad" purchase. I wanted AGM

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Yes NAPA The Legend AGM Premium for $204.99. The mechanic marked it up $30 I guess to install. I think I got duped on the warranty though you're right. But I cranked it up this morning and sounded like a new machine. I could tell it was getting weaker the last few months. No regrets other than I wish who really made this battery and if it is a good one

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all the info Mark. Is East Penn Manufacturing a good brand? I felt I was really on borrowed time and with temps dropping in the 20's this week here in ATL I made a hasty but yet I think "no so bad" purchase. I wanted AGM
There are only a couple of battery manufacturing companies in North America, and they supply most all the brands sold in the USA. Johnson Controls is the biggest, and East Penn is also one. I am sure the battery you bought is fine, but I just think almost everything at NAPA is overpriced compared to Advance Auto Parts or AutoZone, probably because they pay so much money to NASCAR for being a sponsor and official supplier. Also, NAPA stores are franchised, and I don't believe that AutoZone and Advance Auto Parts are (they are company owned).

Were you driving a silver 2012 Genesis 4.6 with light interior on Windward Parkway on Monday?

Dawg

Registered Member
Atlanta Burbs
Were you driving a silver 2012 Genesis 4.6 with light interior on Windward Parkway on Monday?[/QUOTE]

Nope, mine is a 2011. I drove to Macon and back and was not near Alpharetta on Monday. Amazing how much stronger the vehicle cranks (turns over) with a new battery. Mine had been getting slightly weaker the past few months (audible). Had oil change last week at dealer and they said battery is fine. I shake my head because it is original and on borrowed time. I can hear a big difference cold crank mornings. I appreciate your input on Costco tires...I just do not live near one to be convenient for tire service. Believe it or not, but I am seriously considering the General tires because the write-ups on tirerack are pretty good. I believe they are owned by Continental. I have had very good luck with Uniroyal who is owned by Michelin

Ragnar

Been here awhile...
Back to the original posting,after replacing my standard door sills with lighted Genesis sills which took 1 1/2 hours in which the battery was of course disconnected found all my presets, seat memory setting etc. still intact to my utter amazement!!

bigpapainscotia

BIGPAPA
NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Yes I changed mine this week and took me 20 minutes . But I lost all of my preset which was ok because I let the car run for 20 minutes after the new battery was in so I had lots of time. I got six years out of the battery, the battery is still good but I didn't want to take a chance on it . Slow lags in the cold morning starts up here in Canada.

Jackthelad

Hasn't posted much yet...
West Virginia
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Very surprised at people changing out modern batteries at 4 years. My 20 year old C5 Vette is on its 3rd battery - the OEM died under warranty (total failure - case split) and was replaced with another Delco in around 1999. That lasted until 2007 when it started to get "slow" on cold starts. Replaced it with a Diehard Platinum AGM (actually a rebranded Odyssey Extreme, no longer sold by Sears) which is still in there and works just fine. And yes, these cars have parasitic loss. Always a discussion going on about how long you can leave one parked before it is flat. Depending on the battery, it can be anything from 2 to 5 weeks.

Also, my wife's turbo Subaru OEM battery, plain old fashioned "wet" design, lasted a full 10 years before it needed replacement - and again it was because of sluggish starting, not a failure per se. Unless you buy a cheap battery, they will, IMO, last a long time.

videopho

Registered Member
DFW TX
After 3 years and 9 months mine finally gave in with only 29.9k miles I guess mostly due to many short drives around town in city speed.
I called a local Hyundai where I usually have my car in for oil change services which quoted me $220 OTD including installation.
The debate is should I go to Hyundai or just go to a local AZ or O'Reilly and buy one and install it myself?

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
After 3 years and 9 months mine finally gave in with only 29.9k miles I guess mostly due to many short drives around town in city speed.
I called a local Hyundai where I usually have my car in for oil change services which quoted me $220 OTD including installation.
The debate is should I go to Hyundai or just go to a local AZ or O'Reilly and buy one and install it myself?
Check out the video mentioned in posts above, and read all the posts in this thread. Then decide whether you think you can do it. I changed mine, but we cannot decide for you.

Gunkk

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Florida
Genesis Model Type
Free installation from Advance Auto Parts around the corner took all of 3 minutes.

acxiombill

phoenix, AZ
I live in AZ and have had my 2012 3.8 Premium since new. At 23 months old (during a HOT June day), the OEM battery died in a parking lot. Hyundai roadside assistance showed up; a two truck with an array of 8 batteries daisy-chained on a slide out tray - the connected it to the connectors under the hood and fired it right up. I signed the paperwork, then got in the running car to drive away, and noticed NO display for the Nav, or radio HVAC, etc. NOTHING worked. Took it to the selling dealer and had the service tech take a look. The tow truck jump fried the nav module. Hyundai kept the car for 3 days and replaced the head unit and the battery. The head unit quit a month later and they replaced it again. Three months later and the damn thing died again. No parts avail in the USA at that time, so the dealer had a NEW 2014 that was sitting in the lot, awaiting a transmission or something, before it could be sold. They cannibalized the ENTIRE unit (Module, head unit, etc.) from the '14 and put it in my '12. No issues since. Love the updated unit with the newer maps, etc. My replacement OEM battery died 20 months after it was replaced, but warranty does NOT cover the replacement of a replacement! The dealer offered a "Lifetime" battery with free replacement (no deductible) at any AutoNation dealer in the country, for $265 installed. Done deal. I thought that having the battery in the trunk would extend battery life here in AZ (which averages about 2 years) but so far I have not experienced this. Any other desert dwellers have short timeframes with their batteries?

videopho

Registered Member
DFW TX
Hyundai Road side assistance blows.
(Equus or Genesis line) I waited 30 minutes on the phone to be able to connect to an agent.
The guy (kid) who showed up hardly knew anything about the Genesis (didn't expect him to) but he did not have anything other than to jump start my car.
The battery was finally replaced by a local Advanced Auto Part store for $162 installed and tested.
AutoCraft Platinum AGM Battery, Group Size H8, 850 CCA.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/autocraft-platinum-agm-battery-group-size-h8-850-cca-h8-agm/10210828-P?cm_mmc=ET-_-Trans-_-Confirmation-_-General#utm_source=et&utm_medium=trans&utm_campaign=confirmation&utm_content=general

landtuna

Registered Member
Sandstorm, AZ
Any other desert dwellers have short timeframes with their batteries?
I'm in Tempe and bought my 2012 R-spec in December of '12. Almost exactly three years later the OEM battery died. I replaced it and have had no issues since. I am of the opinion that even in the hot trunk the battery life is longer than under the extremely hot hood. I think the reason for short battery life is (1) the summer heat, (2) driving with all manner of electric gadgets working, especially the A/C. Battery life in most of my other vehicles has been more or less the same so I don't think the Genesis is unusual in that respect.

Sirbustergoodpup

North Central PA
Genesis Model Type
Believe it or not, my Genesis battery is original. Wifey's 2010 Elantra is same. Wait until this winter:p. I'll have to replace both in January. But both autos are well maintained, and driven properly. I test them regularly to stay ahead of it.

Jet

Registered Member
Austin TX
Genesis Model Type
So nitrogen checked! What about the best battery for a 2009 4.6 sedan tech package?

Bill K

Registered Member
Chicagoland
Looking at Advanced Auto, they recommend an H8 AGM battery for your car. AGM batteries might not have been common in 2009.....Last week, I was at the dealer for an oil change. They mentioned that the battery on my 2013 3.8 had a year left in it's life.....They quoted me a laughable $409.50 + tax, installed......That same battery (H8 AGM) would cost me $195.00 installed at Advanced Auto......There is a $22 core deposit, but if they change it, that's gone.

Gunkk

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Florida
Genesis Model Type
My 20 month old Advance Auto parts $152 battery unexpectedly took a dump on Xmas morning. Not the best timing. Battery had dropped a cell and was showing only 10v after 30mins of driving and couldn't start the car. The tech said it was pretty rare that these don't last even 2 years. So bad luck for me. They replaced it for $0 (1st 2 years are full MFR warranty).

G-234666

I have a 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 and dealer quoted 400 dollars for battery. I went to Sams and Wal mart and the h8 battery they had would not fit they were about 4 or 5 inches shorter than the original battery. Anyone else having this problem?