Cowtown's G70

Thread starter #41

Cowtown

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Greater Victoria, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hi all, few updates tonight. Week and a half in and it's been overall great. Fuel economy isn't as much, but no surprise. New motor, winter tires, cold weather and a generally thirsty motor. I'll worry about it more in the Spring once it's broken in and I'm back on the all seasons.

Driving impressions are excellent, both the wife and I love driving the car, it's just really nice. Even around town in traffic it drives along nicely even though it does want to stretch it's legs. Back seat in practice is tight once people have found their preferred spots but those that ride in the back have said it's comfortable otherwise, slight front seat adjustments for the passenger is usually all that's required. My near 11 year old son did profess the toe room was tight but thus far it hasn't been an issue. So hopefully Genesis can do something on that in the 2020 model.

The connected app went offline for a few days but is running now. It's gawd awful slow and I hope Genesis can do something about how it issues and confirms commands. I get the ping and ack from the car takes time with 3G but there is just a slowness in how the app goes about it's work that I think they could streamline. Like it's trying to talk to the car more than necessary. Anyways nice to have but aside from the month or so of our cold temps here on the island and maybe for a month in the dead of Summer I don't see it getting a huge amount of use because of it.

I got the rear window tint installed yesterday, a 30% ceramic film, looks good and easy to see out of, pleased with how it came out. Pictures attached.

I may also go down as the first G70 on here to have sewage dumped on it. I was at a mall on the way back from the tint, parked underground to ship a parcel and come back to this stench and my car and the two next two it coned off and some anxious looking security standing nearby. Looks like a plumbing elbow gave out and completely drenched the Lexus SUV to my immediate left which then splattered the van to the left of it and my car subsequently. It was damn near covered. The security manager offered to hose off the car, I said yes so that if anything it'd slow down any effects of whatever that "crap" was. They are also going to apparently pay for a detailing on the car.. Haven't heard back from them on that, I'll be following up tomorrow.

I went and immediately ran it through a carwash so it wouldn't damage the paint and in fact I just couldn't see out of the right side of the car, the stuff had adhered to the car already. I was pretty non pulsed but any smell/damage hasn't seemed to manifest. I'll take a wash and detail though and save it for after Winter maybe.

Haven't had any chance to do an SPL test but I find this around town to be really really quiet. On the highway up to Costco the other night I could hear a bit of noise from the car next to me. Well actually it was a truck on ridiculous tires but otherwise I haven't noticed anything untoward noise wise at highway speed. Could it be better? Yeah, but overall OK thus far. More tests later as time allows.

IMG_20181205_152141.jpg IMG_20181205_151411.jpg IMG_20181205_151406.jpg IMG_20181205_154341.jpg IMG_20181205_154351.jpg

Last edited:
Thread starter #43

Cowtown

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Greater Victoria, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Got an update today from the insurance group that's handling the three car's cleanup. Apparently not sewage, though it smelled like it (phew). "just" drain/grease disposal for the Mexican food kiosk above it. So they'll pay for a detail, it's all good. Doesn't seem like it got into any of the ventilation. I'll wait until the wife gets back today, she has a better nose for it but I didn't notice anything yesterday.

Thread starter #44

Cowtown

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Greater Victoria, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Mini update to add to my comments in the seat thread. Great comfort for front seat passengers on our 4 hour trip for Christmas. Rear seat, that damn toe space is tight. It's workable but yeah that's something they need to figure out.

Driving dynamics wise, a great highway car, super comfortable and while the suspension may side to the firm feel around town, on the highway it's perfect. Well planted and we had some horrendous weather on the island the last bit, the G70 especially with the snows, didn't care.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Mini update to add to my comments in the seat thread. Great comfort for front seat passengers on our 4 hour trip for Christmas. Rear seat, that damn toe space is tight. It's workable but yeah that's something they need to figure out.

Driving dynamics wise, a great highway car, super comfortable and while the suspension may side to the firm feel around town, on the highway it's perfect. Well planted and we had some horrendous weather on the island the last bit, the G70 especially with the snows, didn't care.
Yeah it is the toe room that is the issue. Not so much the knee room.
With the seats all the way down, adults in the back suffer!

KusaKusa

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Yeah, you have to lift the front seats up instead of having the sporty low position. That actually has a dramatic impact on the toe room.

And yeah, the G70 suspension behaves so differently depending on the speed you're at. It's super sensitive at lower speeds like less than 40 mph, to the point that it almost vibrates from road bumps, but on the highway it gets much more relaxed like a family car.

Thread starter #47

Cowtown

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Greater Victoria, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The low roofline makes that a bit more difficult for me to attempt at 6'. I have it at a spot where feet feet and there is ok knee space but not a lot of ability for rear passengers to adjust. Not as bad as my Mustangs or friends old hatchbacks where it was a kneecap on either side of the seat and shut up but small footed people need only apply. ;-)

Ed Okin

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Southern California, USA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Yeah, you have to lift the front seats up instead of having the sporty low position. That actually has a dramatic impact on the toe room.

And yeah, the G70 suspension behaves so differently depending on the speed you're at. It's super sensitive at lower speeds like less than 40 mph, to the point that it almost vibrates from road bumps, but on the highway it gets much more relaxed like a family car.
The car sits fairly low so raising the seat height is probably a good idea.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.