• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Do all 2012 5.0 r specs have oil burning problems?

MG8

Hasn't posted much yet...
How about at 67k ?
not at 67k .
check the oil level on the dipstick and record the reading. change oil and filter under the normal maintenance procedure. note the condition of the oil. does it look like the oil has been changed at the proper intervals? arrange visit with the dealership every time the engine needs oil for the duration of the test. at every visit, the oil consumption sheet must be filled out including mileage, date, amount of oil added and the technicianis initials. for a proper diagnosis, the amount of oil consumed over a known mileage should be checked three times and then averaged.the accumulated mileage divided by the total amount of oil added will give the consumption rate in miles per quart . if the oil consumption rate is greater than 1000 miles per quart, further diagnosis may be required.

Last edited:

R Spect 12

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
not at 67k .
check the oil level on the dipstick and record the reading. change oil and filter under the normal maintenance procedure. note the condition of the oil. does it look like the oil has been changed at the proper intervals? arrange with the customer to visit the dealership every time the engine needs oil for the duration of the test. at every visit, the oil consumption sheet must be filled out including mileage, date, amount of oil added and the technicianis initials. for a proper diagnosis, the amount of oil consumed over a known mileage should be checked three times and then averaged.the accumulated mileage
ivided by the total amount of oil added will give the consumption rate in miles per quart (see example below). if the oil consumption rate is greater than 1000 miles per quart, further diagnosis may be required.
Will do. Thank you

Gunkk

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Florida
Genesis Model Type
My 12 R Spec same issue. Oil disappearing... Ugh. Help. I just had to put a transmission in it at
63,750. I hate to say it but as much as I love the 429 hp, leather, heated cooled seats, handling, Lexicon, folding heated mirrors, rear shade, and all the other features that make this car so addictive....if the tranny breaks at under 65k and the car you have to add oil regularly as if it were gasoline......these 2012 cars are junk.
Sorry you're having a bad experience.

There have been many, many threads on 2012 5.0 oil burn issues in these forums. One of the larger ones is here:
Oil Consumption in '12 R-Spec

TL/DR version: A modest percentage of 2012 model year 5.0 engines made in 2011 through ~March 2012 had oil burn issues due to badly designed piston rings (1 qt or more per 1000 mi). Hyundai made good on many of these problem cars under warranty, early on swapping out with new crate engines and later doing long blocks. But once out of warranty though, owners were and are left to deal with it on their own. This is the only reason why I bought my 2012 as a 4.6 and not 5.0 or 5.0 Rspec.

If you're out of warranty, your choices are threefold:
1. Pay someone BIG bux replace the piston rings, or
2. Just check and add oil when you fill up (or monthly, whichever comes first). Those of us who remember full service gas stations back in the 70s would check your oil every fill-up ... and it was not uncommon at all to have to add a quart.
3. Dump the car for a later build 2012 or 2013-2014.

After the 2009-2010 limit switch and head unit issues were fixed in 2011, and the drivetrain issues fixed late in the 2012 model year, our cars have been comparatively very reliable. Yes there are some transmission issues out there, but in general our cars are very much not junk compared to most other similar year luxury cars at any price.

Last edited:

R Spect 12

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Sorry you're having a bad experience.

There have been many, many threads on 2012 5.0 oil burn issues in these forums. One of the larger ones is here:
Oil Consumption in '12 R-Spec

TL/DR version: A modest percentage of 2012 model year 5.0 engines made in 2011 through ~March 2012 had oil burn issues due to badly designed piston rings (1 qt or more per 1000 mi). Hyundai made good on many of these problem cars under warranty, early on swapping out with new crate engines and later doing long blocks. But once out of warranty though, owners were and are left to deal with it on their own. This is the only reason why I bought my 2012 as a 4.6 and not 5.0 or 5.0 Rspec.

If you're out of warranty, your choices are threefold:
1. Pay someone BIG bux replace the piston rings, or
2. Just check and add oil when you fill up (or monthly, whichever comes first). Those of us who remember full service gas stations back in the 70s would check your oil every fill-up ... and it was not uncommon at all to have to add a quart.
3. Dump the car for a later build 2012 or 2013-2014.

After the 2009-2010 limit switch and head unit issues were fixed in 2011, and the drivetrain issues fixed late in the 2012 model year, our cars have been comparatively very reliable. Yes there are some transmission issues out there, but in general our cars are very much not junk compared to most other similar year luxury cars at any price.

To buy a car and have the transmission go out under 70,000 miles and require a complete replacement, then find out that you are engine is burning oil at a incredibly high rate.... These are things you would expect of a Yugo from the 80s. I understand that you are protective of this brand and but there is no denying that this specific model's reliability is a joke. New, this car was around $47,500. I understand this was the first year that Hyundai produced its 8-speed transmission but they got it wrong.. I understand that this is their first year of the 5.0 Tao engine but they got it wrong. I'll take back the word junk since it seems to have set off your defensive side but I stand firmly by my statement that these cars should be avoided at all cost if you are considering purchasing one out of power train warranty. I am a single parent who wanted a very safe very comfortable ride for my daughter and I that we could be proud of.. I worked two jobs for 3 years since we lost her mother in order to save up for a vehicle. I wanted my child to be comfortable and feel special my mechanic recommended Hyundai or kia as they were reliable and affordable to repair versus something domestic or european. I took one look at Genesis with its safety equipment air bags and plush leather and was immediately sold. I couldn't understand why this car was so affordable and had deppreciated so much since its original selling price. I thought God had just smiled on my small family so I purchased my 2012 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R-Spec w/63k miles.. the car was everything I hoped for for a solid 11 days until to my horror the transmission completely broke on the highway with my child in the back seat. I reached back into my savings and replaced the transmission after paying for two diagnosis at different dealerships to be sure this catastrophic financial burden was real. The car repaired, I moved forward with my life, albeit a good bit more financially stressed only to find out a couple of months later that I was almost 3 quarts low on oil after only 3000 miles since my initial oil change when I purchased the vehicle. I'm not sure what I'm going to do now... According to you I can either keep putting oil in the car every time I fill the tank which is ridiculous because I'm simply letting the problem compound and driving a broken vehicle and just continually adding lubricant.... Or I can have someone put rings in the engine which I'm sure I cannot afford at this particular juncture, or I can purchase this same car 2013 or 14 ? I think not... I think I'm going to wash and vacuum this thing and drive it to a dealership of a different car make and trade it in. I will not put it on Craigslist or in the AutoTrader as I will not sell somebody this vehicle knowing how unreliable a (whoops almost said "junk" there for a second).... vehicle it truly is. Thanks for your time Gunnk. Good luck and God bless.

Gunkk

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Florida
Genesis Model Type
R Spect 12, I think you read me wrong. If you hang around here long enough you'll know I'm no fanboy and have called out HMA multiple times about issues like this. But you'll also learn that I also call 'em like I see 'em.

So here's what I see. I see someone who bought a luxury car with all kinds of big-wallet features without a warranty that would cover said big wallet toys when they break. I see it was done partly based on a mechanic's recommendation. Did that same mechanic say that Genesis sedans are made only in Korea, and that new/replacement parts only come from Korea and are only available through Hyundai at premium prices, and the only alternative is ebay or U-pick junkyard lot? Did the mechanic also say that Genesis are as expensive to repair out of warranty as high-end premium German cars?

I also see someone who might have bit on a "too good to be true" deal on a premium $ luxury car that said someone may not be able to afford the major repairs on. I see that a couple searches here on the forum here on 2012 reliability would have quickly highlighted a) transmission issues and b) oil burn in the 2012 5.0 issues. I see someone who may not have done that research.

I joined this forum before I bought my '09 used, private sale. I did my research. I bought both cars with 2-3 years and ~30k left on the original 5/60 warranty because of the stories I read on these forums: $15k engine replacements $18k transmission replacements because the plastic pan broke on gravel in a dirt lot to name a more memorable one.

Then when the 5/60's ran out I bought extended HMA backed Hyundai Protection Plan Platinum warranties. I've replaced HECU units on each of my 4.6 cars, both under warranty (one extended). My 09 went into the shop 3 times for limit switch failures (all under warranty). My '09 had the "silent amp" bug. Both cars have saggy seat leather (doesn't bother me 1 bit, but it does others).

I don't consider this any worse than the horror stories I've read on BMW, Mercedes, and even Lexus forums. NO car is perfect. ALL cars have issues. All luxury cars are big-wallet cars when it comes to repairs. All of them.

Someone who buys a big-wallet used car out of warranty is taking a gamble. If that same someone has the fat wallet to cover that big bet, then fine. If not, and it breaks, then sad clown face. A used Camry is just as safe and much less costly to keep on the road than a Genesis. I replaced a motor mount in my wife's solara a couple weeks ago myself in all of 10 minutes (6 minutes of it getting out and putting away tools): the part cost $20. On the Genny it's $500 minimum at the dealer for them to even look at the dang thing.

R Spect 12 I'll tell you the same thing I've said here many other times to folks who come and ask "should I buy this 20xx Genesis sedan with yy,yyy miles, here's my situation...": Do not own one of these cars out of warranty.

I see someone who didn't give me the opportunity to do just that.

Sorry you got all internet-forum-triggered on me for giving you the tough love.

Last edited:

R Spect 12

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
The biggest mistake I made was not purchasing a Genesis, it was chatting with you on this forum. I'm not going to compete with you anymore, you can have the final say.. with the sad clown face, the tough love and every other smirky little comment that you put in your last post including saying that you "forum triggered" me. You win. Can you please stop ? I'm dealing with a lot in my life right now I just lost a loved one last month. I probably shouldn't be chatting with anyone..this is probably my fault I accept responsibility. I will not wright you anymore . I'm asking you as politely as I can please, do the same.

SD2012Rspec

Genesis Model Type
Hi all Genesis fans, I found something interesting about my 2012 5.0 R-spec. It burns oil crazy (1 qt/~500 mi) if i drive short distance. I drive it to work and the one way trip is about 5.2 mile according to google map. However, if i drive to grocery only (about 18.8 mile one way), it only burns about 0.5 qt/ ~1000 mi.
My car was built in late 2011, and it definitely belongs to the questionable batch according to the earlier posts on the forum. I got it used at 80000+ miles. So far, the engine bay is ridiculous clean (only some dust). I am using mobile one 5w-30 full synthetic oil. I am wondering if anyone has similar situation like mine? By the way, my transmission is working fine. the only strange point is when i slow down my car close to 0-20 mph and re accelerate the car and the car just shot out immediately. Even if i very gently touch the gas paddle, the car never speed up again smoothly. If i speed up from 0 mph, it can go up smoothly.

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
I have a 2012 Hyundai Equis, with 160,000 miles I Purchased it with 60k and about every oil change needed a quart of oil now I am puttin a quart in every 400 miles , with 160,000 miles .
Due to the faulty piston rings. Join me I’m starting a class action suit
Good luck wid dat. Your Equus is 8 model years old. Where you apparently went wrong is that you didn’t buy an extended warranty. Your factory warranty expired at 60,000 miles, exactly when you bought the car.

SD2012Rspec

Genesis Model Type
Good luck wid dat. Your Equus is 8 model years old. Where you apparently went wrong is that you didn’t buy an extended warranty. Your factory warranty expired at 60,000 miles, exactly when you bought the car.
lol
Thank you buddy, I bought from non hyundai dealership, so i am not able to get extended factory warranty. My model year is 2012. Currently, I am hesitating to get rid of it or not. The bad are oil burning, out of warranty, slow heating and cool seat, weak A/C, no blue tooth music stream. the good are fast! quiet! ACC smart cruise control!
What do you guys think? Will you guys keep it or leave it?

MG8

lol
Thank you buddy, I bought from non hyundai dealership, so i am not able to get extended factory warranty. My model year is 2012. Currently, I am hesitating to get rid of it or not. The bad are oil burning, out of warranty, slow heating and cool seat, weak A/C, no blue tooth music stream. the good are fast! quiet! ACC smart cruise control!
What do you guys think? Will you guys keep it or leave it?
If you got a great deal why not , these Genesis are great cars. id just repair little by little. and what do you mean by slow heating and cool seat? weak a/c maybe needs a charge?

SD2012Rspec

Genesis Model Type
If you got a great deal why not , these Genesis are great cars. id just repair little by little. and what do you mean by slow heating and cool seat? weak a/c maybe needs a charge?
if it is not burning that much oil, i would think it is a great deal. the heating seat take couple of minutes to make you feel it warming up. the cool seat need cool air from A/C, which also take more than 5 min to start blowing the cool air out of the seat. A/C has been charged recently and my A/C still the same. it will only blow cool air when i am driving the car, idling for couple of minutes, A/C will blow air at out side temp. i had 2010 golf with heating seat. that car will heat the seat within a min in mid west winter time. meanwhile, that golf also has bluetooth streaming music feature.
I just cannot understand how much pennies will hyundai save on genesis for doing these kind of things.

MG8

if it is not burning that much oil, i would think it is a great deal. the heating seat take couple of minutes to make you feel it warming up. the cool seat need cool air from A/C, which also take more than 5 min to start blowing the cool air out of the seat. A/C has been charged recently and my A/C still the same. it will only blow cool air when i am driving the car, idling for couple of minutes, A/C will blow air at out side temp. i had 2010 golf with heating seat. that car will heat the seat within a min in mid west winter time. meanwhile, that golf also has bluetooth streaming music feature.
I just cannot understand how much pennies will hyundai save on genesis for doing these kind of things.
was your golf leather? seat heater sounds normal as long as it heats up its not a problem. seat cooler has nothing to do with the a/c system. 13+ has the bluetooth streaming feature but i prefer using a aux cord sound quality is much better with a direct connection.

SD2012Rspec

Genesis Model Type
was your golf leather? seat heater sounds normal as long as it heats up its not a problem. seat cooler has nothing to do with the a/c system. 13+ has the bluetooth streaming feature but i prefer using a aux cord sound quality is much better with a direct connection.
it was a cloth seats. I mean it just slow in my feeling. I tried aux cord, but it give noticeable current noise when the music is not loud enough to cover it. Anyway, i told myself you get a great deal on a V8 comfortable full size sedan.

MG8

it was a cloth seats. I mean it just slow in my feeling. I tried aux cord, but it give noticeable current noise when the music is not loud enough to cover it. Anyway, i told myself you get a great deal on a V8 comfortable full size sedan.
cloth seat will warm up alot faster than leather, try a quality cord and if that doesnt work it might be the little aux box.

Gunkk

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Florida
Genesis Model Type
Get one of these if you want bluetooth.

Amazon.com: CHELINK Audio Bluetooth 4.0 Transmitter/Receiver, Car Aux Adapter for Music Streaming Sound System, Fit KIA Hyundai Car Stereo Compatible for i7 X XS Max XR 8Plus 5 6 i-Pad Android Smartphone: Car Electronics

Sounds good, works well. Plays audio through the AUX. Phone links to this like a headset, so when I get a call, it pauses the music and the phone call is made using the car's normal bluetooth phone interface. Then when I hang up the music restarts. Normal music controls other than volume: play, pause, track selection, etc. are via the phone (it doesn't use car's buttons for track since the car cannot communicate outbound to the phone thru this interface). But for $30 it does the job well.

Last edited:
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums