Do you fully trust your self pacing cruise control?

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
My 2019 G80 LKA bounces between the lanes, like a bowling ball bouncing off gutter rails. It also can't handle a moderate curve, it drives right into the next lane (or into the ditch, if I let it). Just not a good experience, I cannot trust it at all. The SCC works well, though.

SuperKing

Registered Member
Vancouver, BC
My 2019 G80 LKA bounces between the lanes, like a bowling ball bouncing off gutter rails. It also can't handle a moderate curve, it drives right into the next lane (or into the ditch, if I let it). Just not a good experience, I cannot trust it at all. The SCC works well, though.
To be fair, it's working as advertised. It's lane keep assist, not highway driving assist. It's supposed to keep you in the lane which it's doing for you, not drive the car for you.

This is what you're looking for...

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
But when I drove the G70, before buying the G80, it was a completely different experience. The G70 kept centered in the lane and took corners well.

Comp625

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
The G70 has HDA, G80 does not... only LKAS

Ohhh, that explains it. What speed does the G70's HDA work down to? I test drove the 2021 Sonata and seem to recall its system working really well even on non-highway roads.

Comp625

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I'm not sure? When I get my G90, I'm probably going to replace HDA with Openpilot anyways because I can use it anywhere at any speed. I'll try out HDA for a few months to see how it is but Openpilot is constantly being updated and improved upon. With HDA, what you get is what came with the car... lol
I thought about OpenPilot too but having to mount a camera phone-like device on your windshield detracts from the aesthetic ambiance of a luxury vehicle.

SuperKing

Registered Member
Vancouver, BC
I thought about OpenPilot too but having to mount a camera phone-like device on your windshield detracts from the aesthetic ambiance of a luxury vehicle.

Like the software, the hardware is also being improved upon as well. The next version of the hardware is smaller according to leaks. It's also opensource so you could run it on whatever hardware you like if you have the know-how. There are versions that run on a small board and uses the factory camera. Nothing mounted on your windshield. Only works on Honda vehicles right now though.

Comp625

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Like the software, the hardware is also being improved upon as well. The next version of the hardware is smaller according to leaks. It's also opensource so you could run it on whatever hardware you like if you have the know-how. There are versions that run on a small board and uses the factory camera. Nothing mounted on your windshield. Only works on Honda vehicles right now though.

That would be dope! Using the factory camera would be awesome, and theoretically, could also work in older vehicles from the mid-2010's where ACC and LKAS were first being introduced.

On another note, did the G80 have HDA in 2019 or 2020? I know it doesn't in 2018MY. I also assume it's in the newest 2021MY refresh, but am curious if anything was done for the 2019MY or 2020MY.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners