Dynomax Super Turbo 17733 - perfect oem replacement

mod mod t56

Registered Member
ft worth tx
It dose not fit .... one in one out ...it has 2 tips and not enough room for a y pipe .... unless unr willing to sacrifice a exhaust tip per side ... would probably work on a v6 tho..... ask me how I know .... with that said I have 2 brand new in a box let go cheap .... lol I did how ever find that the 17674 dose fit .... 1 in 2 out ....a tad bit shorter so a tad bit louder but not much ... I also have a 2 brand new ones in a box as well ....my girl friend bought me some for Christmas andni had already bought the same ones .... stillnin the mail tho ....ill get them and a 2.5 mid pipe with x put on this week ... hope this helps every one ... have a wonderful weekend

HeatNuts

Hasn't posted much yet...
Hey guys. I'm looking at getting some aftermarket mufflers for my 12 R-spec, and it was my understanding that the OEM exhaust was a 2.25" inlet and outlet. Any idea if these Dynomax Super Turbo 17733 mufflers would cause any issues being a 2.5" inlet and outlet?

mod mod t56

Registered Member
ft worth tx
The 17674 drone like crazy .... it sound good when under load but at cruse its loud and annoying. ?. I had 2.5 cat back with x pipe made for the 15 using these mufflers. ?..I need think im going to swap to vt mufflers...the exhaust shop said when mufflers dont have pipes they willl drone a lot more .... also increase volume. ?. Im at a loss for words .... not what I wanted .... sounds like a loud mustang

LandoAWD

Registered Member
It's just a mild flare of the piping. Don't sweat it.

The 17674 drone like crazy .... it sound good when under load but at cruse its loud and annoying. ?. I had 2.5 cat back with x pipe made for the 15 using these mufflers. ?..I need think im going to swap to vt mufflers...the exhaust shop said when mufflers dont have pipes they willl drone a lot more .... also increase volume. ?. Im at a loss for words .... not what I wanted .... sounds like a loud mustang
This is probably worthy of its own thread, as this is 1g and 17733 related (primarily), but I'd take an educated guess that your x-pipe is the culprit. The factory X acts as a resonator, and you've gone to straight pipe. Given that you straight piped a 5.0, I'm not shocked it "sounds like a loud Mustang"...

HeatNuts

Ended up ordering the 17731s (2.25" instead of 2.5"), and the shop I went to said he couldn't do it. He said the muffler was too big and that the inlet side would be too cramped and might pinch the piping. I told him that other people with the same car had this exact same muffler body installed just fine, and he said that he's been doing this 30 years and basically told me to go elsewhere...

Anyone else have issues installing these mufflers?

HeatNuts

Lol. Find another shop.
I did. I took it to a friend's shop today who is no stranger to fabrication and such. They specialize in high horsepower cars and tuning. Even they said that the fitment wasn't right. They called just a second ago saying that they were worried about the exit of the mufflers lining up with the exits in the bumper. He said that the mufflers with offset inlet and exit would work. Not the offset/center that everyone seems to be using. He said he would try to figure something out and call back, so we'll see...

LandoAWD

Registered Member
I did. I took it to a friend's shop today who is no stranger to fabrication and such. They specialize in high horsepower cars and tuning. Even they said that the fitment wasn't right. They called just a second ago saying that they were worried about the exit of the mufflers lining up with the exits in the bumper. He said that the mufflers with offset inlet and exit would work. Not the offset/center that everyone seems to be using. He said he would try to figure something out and call back, so we'll see...
Did you show him the picture I posted? It's not rocket surgery.

technopeasant

Registered Member
PNW
I just had a pair of the 17733's installed on a 2014 R Spec today.Specialty shop with 3 locations thats been around 60 years. Took 2 hours. Exhaust tips are centered in the exits and it sounds just great!

Last edited:

HeatNuts

Did you show him the picture I posted? It's not rocket surgery.
I sure did! The first shop, anyway. He kept saying, "I've been doing this 30 years, and those won't work."

My friend's shop got them on yesterday, and they sound great!

I think the main issue is that nobody seems to know that these mufflers are reversible.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.