Engine oil replaced by dealer (concern).

bubbaG80Sport

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Get ready for a great oil change story! Call my dealer to arrange for first oil change on my 2020 3.3 Sport G70. I ask if I can be assured they will use synthetic oil. "NO" I am immediately told because "your car was specifically designed to run on non-synthetic oil and it would not be good to use synthetic." I told the service tech that was utterly absurd. We argued, I finally said can I pay to have you use synthetic? "NO, because using synthetic oil will void your warranty" This man was not joking! So, if I want to have them change the oil I have no choice but to use cheap oil! If you plan to take advantage of free service Genesis advertises, do not purchase your car from Fitzgerald Auto Mall in Rockville, Maryland. Be warned.

Unbelievable! Goes to show you, premium cost (going to dealer) does not always mean premium service/competence.

You "free service" is honored at any Genesis dealer. There is some debate whether a Hyundai dealer will honor. Call around. I'd expect there are several H/G dealers in your over-crowded "neck of the woods". When I lived in MD I bought my 2011 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 from Fitzgerald, but used the Hyundai Frederick, MD dealer (closer to home) to service it and was generally satisfied.

Last edited:

Andyj

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
So using full synthetic oil voids the warranty on a brand new car? Interesting.

OBO

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Well, ACEA-A5 is more of a European oil rating system, so not all oil makers will test in that oil rating system. The information you posted stated a API SM or ILSAC GF-4 or higher oil is acceptable if a ACEA-A5 oil is not available. Quaker State 5W-30 synthetic oil is an ILSAC GF-5 oil, so it will do the job.

However, it is funny that Quaker State oil is recommended but a ACEA-A5 oil is desired in which Quaker State is not approved as.

i heard Total engine oil is the biggest supp
Get ready for a great oil change story! Call my dealer to arrange for first oil change on my 2020 3.3 Sport G70. I ask if I can be assured they will use synthetic oil. "NO" I am immediately told because "your car was specifically designed to run on non-synthetic oil and it would not be good to use synthetic." I told the service tech that was utterly absurd. We argued, I finally said can I pay to have you use synthetic? "NO, because using synthetic oil will void your warranty" This man was not joking! So, if I want to have them change the oil I have no choice but to use cheap oil! If you plan to take advantage of free service Genesis advertises, do not purchase your car from Fitzgerald Auto Mall in Rockville, Maryland. Be warned.
to be honest with you , unless you have 3 years complimentary service/free oil changes . Theres no point going to the dealer for an oil change. Coolant , transmission fluid and all that go to the dealer though. One of the dealer used 5w-20 on the 3.8l. Changing it, asap.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
If it wasn't so dumb it would be funny. This has to be one of the most pathetic service people on earth. I think I'd want to have a meeting with the owner or manager and show him about the ACEA A5 in the manual.

OBO

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
If it wasn't so dumb it would be funny. This has to be one of the most pathetic service people on earth. I think I'd want to have a meeting with the owner or manager and show him about the ACEA A5 in the manual.
I swear you cant just go to ANY dealership. All dealerships are not equal!. Any oil ACEA A5 full synthetic is best for our cars, the right grade as well.

Husam

Registered Member
😂🤣

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
However it is funny that Quaker State oil is recommended but a ACEA-A5 oil is desired in which Quaker State is not approved as.
Yeah it's kinda sad... Their own wording shot their sales in the foot. "If not available in your country.." - well, it IS available in my country - under different brands! 😄

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I finally said can I pay to have you use synthetic? "NO, because using synthetic oil will void your warranty" This man was not joking!
Just insane! Wish you had recorded it. You should have some fun with this one... go into the dealership with your manual and have him to repeat that in front of other guys there. I bet he denies saying it. See attached, your recommended oil is ACEA A5, which is a full synthetic 5W-30. Ask him to show you an ACEA A5 that is not a synthetic!

Please call GENESIS corporate and report it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200915-203717_Office Mobile.jpg
    Screenshot_20200915-203717_Office Mobile.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 8

ephone1

SUSTAINING MEMBER
West Michigan
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I wouldn't let that dealer check the air in my tires. Seriously.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I wouldn't let that dealer check the air in my tires. Seriously.
I would. Go to some tire shop and they may use generic air and void your warranty. I only get Genesis approved air.

OBO

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I would. Go to some tire shop and they may use generic air and void your warranty. I only get Genesis approved air.
:LOL: Are you joking or being serious ha. Cause if you are that was a good one.

surprisinguy

Registered Member
NC
Genesis Model Type
I get a special blend from the dealer that is 78% nitrogen.
This setup made my tires out of balance - had to go back to full air mixture

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Damn, that is why I do my own oil changes. Incorrect information like that is why many of their cars sold will probably be trash soon after the warranty end ;even when maintained by the dealership. Then, they will sell you another car claiming that is was the high mileage that killed the engine when in fact it will maybe the low quailty oil used.

bubbaG80Sport

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Probably installed wrong. The valve stem has to be on TDC for proper distribution.
To get optimum gas mileage tires should be filled with Helium to reduce weight. Hydrogen was used up until Hindenberg "incident". ;)

Legal disclaimer: Above is a joke. If you fill your tires with He or H and car blows up don't blame me.

OBO

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Guys where in the manual page does it talk about using ACEA A5/B5 cant find it. 2017-2020 g80 3.8 L

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums