G70 2.0 vs. 3.3T

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have a 2.0T automatic loaner today as my 3.3T Sport is at the dealer getting the windshield replaced. The power is adequate for normal driving but I find it totally drains the excitement out of driving the car compared to what I'm used to. In the 3.3 when you floor it you experience an addictive surge of acceleration that pulls you back in your seat. In the 2.0 there is none of that surge. I did find I enjoy the exhaust note more than the 3.3.
The 2.0T is more entertaining in corners. Power can only be somewhat be fixed with a piggyback or tune!

maxsilver

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The 2.0T is more entertaining in corners. Power can only be somewhat be fixed with a piggyback or tune!
Cornering capability seems good, but the car I have is fitted with Michelin Primacy instead of PS4's so I didn't want to push it too hard in corners compared to what I do in my car. I had a chance to drive it a second time, and have been finding the sweet spot for the power band a bit more. There is definitely still fun to be had with the 2.0 for sure.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Cornering capability seems good, but the car I have is fitted with Michelin Primacy instead of PS4's so I didn't want to push it too hard in corners compared to what I do in my car. I had a chance to drive it a second time, and have been finding the sweet spot for the power band a bit more. There is definitely still fun to be had with the 2.0 for sure.
I suppose the tires make a huge difference. Mine is the PS4 and it has insane grip. However I like the square winter setup cause it is more fun and I can oversteer on demand.
I can Only force oversteer with the PS4 in the rain!

RTK

Registered Member
SoCal
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yep! My insurance went up by (coming from a 2016 Tucson Ultimate, AWD) $50 per month on my 2.0T... You'd think I got the 3.3T!
Interestingly enough, my insurance increased about $150 a year over my 5 year old BMW 328d. Given that the BMW was a 2.0 liter turbo diesel, and the G70 has a twin turbo V6, that $150 a year seems like a bargain!

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
You can get a good deal on a 3.3T if you haggle a bit. I got my RWD 3.3T Sport for $46k out the door, brand new.

I almost bought a 2.0T Sport but coming from a 500 hp sports car, I knew the 2.0 wouldn't cut it.

Also, in eco mode, I am averaging 30 mpgs on my mostly highway commute. Granted, it isnt my daily driver, but I do commute two hours per day when I do drive it (at least twice per week).

I recommend saving up for the 3.3. Even if you think you dont need the extra power, it sure does feel good to know it's there. :)

MikeYFItalian

You can get a good deal on a 3.3T if you haggle a bit. I got my RWD 3.3T Sport for $46k out the door, brand new.

I almost bought a 2.0T Sport but coming from a 500 hp sports car, I knew the 2.0 wouldn't cut it.

Also, in eco mode, I am averaging 30 mpgs on my mostly highway commute. Granted, it isnt my daily driver, but I do commute two hours per day when I do drive it (at least twice per week).

I recommend saving up for the 3.3. Even if you think you dont need the extra power, it sure does feel good to know it's there. :)
What dealer did you get it from? Was it on the lot or did you have to order it? I cant find a single G70 Sport for sale on Autotrader anywhere in the US...

RTK

Registered Member
SoCal
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
What dealer did you get it from? Was it on the lot or did you have to order it? I cant find a single G70 Sport for sale on Autotrader anywhere in the US...
What state or city do you live in? I’m sure someone on the forum near your location might be able to advise if one is available.

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I forgot to mention I want the 3.3T Sport not the 2.0T Sport
Victoria Black AWD

Santiago Silver AWD

Casablanca White AWD

Siberian Ice AWD

f$%k ton more...

ninjastar687

Registered Member
New Jersey, USA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Interestingly enough, my insurance increased about $150 a year over my 5 year old BMW 328d. Given that the BMW was a 2.0 liter turbo diesel, and the G70 has a twin turbo V6, that $150 a year seems like a bargain!
That's pretty good, must be because I live in NJ and there a plenty of stupid/crazy drivers here... Check out this video!

ninjastar687

Registered Member
New Jersey, USA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I live in Jersey as well. Traded in a 12 year old car for the 3.3T and my insurance hasn't gone up at all....yet.
Unfortunately, insurance companies go by zip code and accident rates which is pretty high in Northern NJ. I have not had an accident/traffic violation in over 15 years (knock on wood). Every time I question any increase in my insurance the carrier says it is because an increase in accidents in my area.