G80 Sport Oil Change 3.3T Turbo

letoki

Hasn't posted much yet...
East Coast, USA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
My service receipt says they used 5W-20. The manual clearly says 5W-20.They also reset the rear tire pressure incorrectly at the same number as the fronts.

Luxury service, uhm, nope.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
The manual clearly says 5W-20.
Is that for the G80 V6 or V8? I thought that they now recommend 5W-30 for the V6.

Also, the OP has the 2018 3.3 TT, which probably does specify a different motor oil (synthetic blend).

letoki

East Coast, USA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Apologies. I meant to write that the manual for the 3.3 V6 Turbo clearly says 5W-30.

G80guy

Been here awhile...
Northeast
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I have the ‘18 3.3 Turbo G80 Sport. For first maintenance Dealer today used Quaker State 5W-30 synthetic BLEND. I had asked for full synthetic. They said this is what is called for by Genesis. Are they right? Manual appears to be silent on blend versus full.
That sounds like the correct recommended oil.
Actually anyone noticed this sticker under the hood? It says Shell Helix and Quaker State. Shell Helix is described as a modern synthetic made from natural gas. Which sounds like something between dinosaur oil and a true full synthetic.

Hyundai

Shell and Hyundai have been global partners since 2005, with a global aftermarket agreement in place across 67 markets worldwide. As Title Sponsor and Technical Partner, Shell aims to co-engineer a winning edge to Hyundai Motorsport as it competes at the highest level of global rallying at the World Rally Championships (WRC).

The WRC series provides the ideal environment to showcase the quality of Shell Helix Ultra with PurePlus Technology. Set in over 13 countries, it challenges the cars to compete in extreme environments - from snow and ice to gravel and asphalt in temperatures ranging from -30°C to +40°C. Due to the conditions the car is put through, using reliable products that lubricate and protect the engine without a loss in power or performance is vital to the team’s results.

“Since the introduction of Shell helix Ultra motor oil with PurePlus Technology, Shell has helped Hyundai Motorsport to develop an extra 1.5 horsepower, representing an average of six seconds advantage at the end of each rally.” - Michel Nandan, Hyundai Team Principal

Attachments

Last edited:

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Re: G80 Sport Oil Change 3>3T Turbo

Actually anyone noticed this sticker under the hood? It says Shell Helix and Quaker State. Shell Helix is described as a modern synthetic made from natural gas. Which sounds like something between dinosaur oil and a true full synthetic.
Hyundai and Shell have a marketing agreement whereby Hyundai gets a discount on factory fill lubricants (they manufacturer over 5 million vehicles per year), and Hyundai recommends Shell lubrication products. Any suggestion that Hyundai picked Shell because it is superior to other brands is sheer hogwash.

In the USA, since Shell owns Pennzoil and Quaker State brands, and they don't usually sell Shell branded motor oil (except for diesel engines) in the USA, they picked Quaker State for Hyundai to recommend for cars sold in the USA. Quaker State is a little cheaper than Pennzoil in most cases, but Shell no doubt determined that fits the typical Hyundai customer the best.

In markets outside the USA, Hyundai recommends Shell branded products.

- - - Updated - - -

Shell Helix is described as a modern synthetic made from natural gas. Which sounds like something between dinosaur oil and a true full synthetic.
Depends on what country you are in.

In the USA, a Group III motor oil (severely hydrocracked mineral oil) can be sold as full synthetic, and most synthetic brands sold in the USA are 100% Group III (except for additive packages). Some of the premium synthetics sold in the USA are a blend of Group III and IV/V base stocks. A few are 100% Group IV and V. The composition of base stocks can vary by viscosity, as well as by brand (especially for Mobil 1). Quaker State is 100% Group III base stock for all viscosities (not including additive package).

In most of Europe, oil sold as synthetic must contain only Group IV (PAO) or Group V (mostly Esters) base stocks, with no Group III components.

In the USA. Pennzoil sells the regular Platinum and Ultra Platinum, both made from natural gas. They also sell a Pennzoil Platinum Euro oil, which is made mostly for German cars (different additives due to environment regulations and other factors).

Pennzoil Platinum made from natural gas is considered to be a Group III motor oil, but the distinction between Group III and IV is getting blurred due to advances in creating severely hydrocracked motor oil.

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Hyundai is a "special" case. They refuse to specify synthetic so they can maintain their claim of a lower cost of ownership compared to Honda or Toyota. Every single Hyundai salesperson can lecture you about this. It's strictly a marketing ploy, not an engineering decision.
Really and who told you this from Hyundai or Genesis? Funny, I've never seen this written anywhere or talked to anyone, including service managers who have claimed this. In fact, I just got my oil changed this morning and guess what, I got synthetic in place of dino oil for no charge. Whatcha think about that? Wasn't a mistake either, I asked the service manager, "Marky."

Sounds like some more of your presumptions or assumptions once again. Course we all know what happens when you assume right. Prove it, where's this in writing? Again, everyone needs to reflect and know Mark isn't speaking from experience. He doesn't own a Genesis or a Hyundai Genesis. So it's just more of his personal speculation. End of story!

- - - Updated - - -

Is that for the G80 V6 or V8? I thought that they now recommend 5W-30 for the V6.

Also, the OP has the 2018 3.3 TT, which probably does specify a different motor oil (synthetic blend).
More speculation!!

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type

Really and who told you this from Hyundai or Genesis? Funny, I've never seen this written anywhere or talked to anyone, including service managers who have claimed this. In fact, I just got my oil changed this morning and guess what, I got synthetic in place of dino oil for no charge. Whatcha think about that?
I am not talking about what your dealer does, I am talking about Hyundai Motor America says in their owners manuals for almost all Hyundai vehicles (maybe some of the turbos are an exception, but I believe the Genesis turbo only specifies synthetic blend).

Have you read the owners manual?

Toyota Motor and Honda Motor specify in their owners manuals for all their new cars a full synthetic (usually 0W-20 which is only available as a synthetic). Not so Hyundai Motor America.

So what your independent dealer does is not relevant to what I was saying. There are 800+ Hyundai dealers, and they are not owned by Hyundai Motor, and they can upgrade you to a full synthetic if they want to. Also, the G80 is a Genesis Motors vehicle, not a Hyundai.

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I did the first oil and oil filter change on my 2018 G80 Sport (3.3L twin turbo V6) AWD/HTRAC March 6, 2018 at 4,911 miles. I filled with 6.98765 U.S. quarts of Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5w/30. Oil change process was, warm engine up to normal operating temperature, drained via lower oil plug for 45.8 minutes. Next day checked oil level 3 minutes after turning off warmed engine. Dipstick was exactly at full mark.

As an aside. There are 2 separate covers for the oil filter and oil drain plug. Looking at the windshield from front of car.... Underneath car under center of engine the first cover (about 4" x 4") is for oil filter. About 3 inches further back is the cover (about 5" x 5") for the oil drain plug (bolt head pointing toward rear of vehicle). There is an picture of an old school oil can on this cover. These covers are secured with a mix of hex head bolts AND trim plastic pop rivets (weird!). They must have run out of bolts and had extra rivets laying around at the factory that day ;)

The opening for the oil filter is "frigged" up/wrong. It needs to be shifted toward the drivers side a few inches so a standard wrench with a 90 degree head can be used. You'll need a wrench with a flexible head (about 71.2 degrees) to tighten/loosen the oil filter cover.

Last edited:

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

I am not talking about what your dealer does, I am talking about Hyundai Motor America says in their owners manuals for almost all Hyundai vehicles (maybe some of the turbos are an exception, but I believe the Genesis turbo only specifies synthetic blend).

Have you read the owners manual?

Toyota Motor and Honda Motor specify in their owners manuals for all their new cars a full synthetic (usually 0W-20 which is only available as a synthetic). Not so Hyundai Motor America.

So what your independent dealer does is not relevant to what I was saying. There are 800+ Hyundai dealers, and they are not owned by Hyundai Motor, and they can upgrade you to a full synthetic if they want to. Also, the G80 is a Genesis Motors vehicle, not a Hyundai.
You've still not answered my question you're dancing around it. what you've stated is you own speculation regarding Hyundai's or Genesis operating cost compared to other brands like Honda etc.

Unlike you Mark, I actually own a Genesis G80, "something you can't even claim ownership of." So once again you're speaking out of your own personal speculation. When have you ever owned or read a 2017/18 owners manual? Get real man. Oh and to answer your question, yes I have and it doesn't say anything near or like you've speculated regarding, "They refuse to specify synthetic so they can maintain their claim of a lower cost of ownership compared to Honda or Toyota."

They refuse to specify synthetic so they can maintain their claim of a lower cost of ownership compared to Honda or Toyota. Every single Hyundai salesperson can lecture you about this. It's strictly a marketing ploy, not an engineering decision.
Really Mark, every single Hyundai salesperson and when have you personally talked to "EVERY" single Hyundai Salesperson? Just more speculation and presumptuous statements on your part. Like you to show us all some proof of this one. What, are you going to start telling us an apple is really an orange next?:p;):roflmao: come on man give it up.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
You've still not answered my question you're dancing around it. what you've stated is you own speculation regarding Hyundai's or Genesis operating cost compared to other brands like Honda etc.
I was talking about Hyundai not requiring synthetic oil on their cars (except maybe some turbos, which may specify a synthetic blend). That does enable Hyundai salespersons to claim that the cost of maintaining a Hyundai is less than Toyota or Honda, both of which now require 0W-20 motor oil, which is only available as a full synthetic. However, I know that Toyota is now offering free maintenance for the first two years or so to help make up for that.

So I am not speculating about the cost of an oil change, since synthetic motor oil changes are more expensive than conventional oil changes (except when the manufacturer provides them for free for first couple of years).

Unlike you Mark, I actually own a Genesis G80, "something you can't even claim ownership of." So once again you're speaking out of your own personal speculation. When have you ever owned or read a 2017/18 owners manual? Get real man. Oh and to answer your question, yes I have and it doesn't say anything near or like you've speculated regarding, "They refuse to specify synthetic so they can maintain their claim of a lower cost of ownership compared to Honda or Toyota."
Again, I was talking about Hyundai Motor America, and not Genesis Motors. I have a copy and have read the PDF version of the 2015 and 2016 Hyundai Genesis owners manual for the USA market. Neither of them specify or recommend synthetic motor oil. I would not be surprised if Genesis Motors (like most luxury brands) recommends synthetic motor in the future, when they have separate dealerships. I believe they recommend synthetic blend or full synthetic fo the 3.3 TT. One forum member in Britain says Hyundai UK recommends synthetic for his 2015 Hyundai Genesis, since each local marketing area and distributor can do what the want in that regard.

But when the Genesis was a still a Hyundai (2015-2016) or for other Hyundai vehicles, they obviously are not going to publically state that they are sacrificing engine reliability for marketing advantage in cost of ownersip.

Really Mark, every single Hyundai salesperson and when have you personally talked to "EVERY" single Hyundai Salesperson? Just more speculation and presumptuous statements on your part. Like you to show us all some proof of this one. What, are you going to start telling us an apple is really an orange next?
I have not talked to every single Hyundai salesperson, but I am reasonably confident that all of them (unless they just started work) know that Honda and Toyota require synthetic motor oil, and Hyundai usually does not (at least in the USA).

Is that all you got? Really?

Last edited:

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Really Mark, you still haven't answered my questions. Otherwise, you don't know!, that's the final word. You're just guessing.

My oil change didn't cost me a dime extra and according to the dealer, it won't in the future with synthetic oil. So them's the facts bud like it or not. So by you're own admission, you haven't talked to every sales or service person either Mark, them's the facts also. All this is a assumption on your part. Remember in the other thread when you stated "if you were wrong you'd admit it ?" This is just another example; you don't or won't.

No really, I got more but we'll come to it when you realize you aren't Mr. Know-it-all. I think you could actually be a likable guy if; you'd just step off the soap box from time to time.;)

Last edited:

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Really Mark, you still haven't answered my questions. Otherwise, you don't know!, that's the final word. You're just guessing.

My oil change didn't cost me a dime extra and according to the dealer, it won't in the future with synthetic oil. So them's the facts bud like it or not. So by you're own admission, you haven't talked to every sales or service person either Mark, them's the facts also. All this is a assumption on your part. Remember in the other thread when you stated "if you were wrong you'd admit it ?" This is just another example that you don't or won't.

No really, I got more but we'll come to it when you realize you aren't Mr. Know-it-all. I think you could actually be a likable guy if; you'd just step off the soap box from time to time.;)
Sooorrrry. I was just talking about what Genesis Motors says in their owners manual, not what your or anyone else's dealer says or does.

I tried to answer your questions. If you really want me to answer any more questions, please state them with a question mark, one at a time. Or send me a PM.

pa-g80-ownr

PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
According to my owners manual the recommended oil for the 3.3T engine is a 5W-30, ACEA classification A5. "If the ACEA A5 engine oil is not available in your country, you are able to use ACEA B5 or API SN & ILSAC GF-5". Based on these requirements, a full synthetic oil isn't necessary. I think Mobil1 has the A5 classification, and several synthetic blends have the API SN and ILSAC GF-5 ratings. I have two genesis dealers that I can use for service, but I'm nowhere near my first oil change so I have time to find out what oil they use before I bring the car in.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
According to my owners manual the recommended oil for the 3.3T engine is a 5W-30, ACEA classification A5. "If the ACEA A5 engine oil is not available in your country, you are able to use ACEA B5 or API SN & ILSAC GF-5". Based on these requirements, a full synthetic oil isn't necessary. I think Mobil1 has the A5 classification, and several synthetic blends have the API SN and ILSAC GF-5 ratings. I have two genesis dealers that I can use for service, but I'm nowhere near my first oil change so I have time to find out what oil they use before I bring the car in.
Mobil 1 5W-30 (in both regular formulation and EP) have the ACEA A5/B5 specification according to their website. Some of the lower viscosity Mobil 1 oils do not meet that (because I believe that the ACEA A5/B5 rating is viscosity dependent).

Mobil Super Synthetic 5W-30 (a synthetic blend oil) does not have ACEA A5/B5 in their specifications, although other synthetic blends could have it.

Given that a turbo engine operates at a noticeably higher operating temperature than a non-turbo engine, anyone who is not on lease (and doesn't plan on buying the car at end of lease) should strongly consider a full synthetic IMO. The price of Mobil 1 full synthetic at Walmart is so low, it is a no-brainer, and with the Mobil 1 rebates frequently offered, it more than a no-brainer.

Fuddy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
My dealer said if I bring the oil in, they'll use mine, no problem. It resolves the negotiation, up-charge, etc. I get it at a great price at Costco (Mobile 1 5W-30). I've been changing my own oil for 35 years, so letting them do it will be interesting as I usually don't trust others to do it as well as I can. But, if I consider it'll be on the record, and they are replacing the filter each time on their dime, maybe I'll try it. We'll see...

ctrcbob

Been here awhile...
If you supply your own oil, WATCH THEM when they do the job. Not the first time a tech would keep your oil and put in their cheaper oil.

If dealer won't let you watch, even from a distance, go to another dealer.

In the past, I've twice caught dealer errors. Once (Ford Dealer)I watched (from a distance) them installing the wrong oil. Made them change it. Another time, (Buick Dealer) I watched a tech installing the wrong filter. (Aftermarket, not stock). Tech would not remove and install stock filter. Service writer would not do anything. I made a stink. Raised my voice. People were "watching" me. After I raised hell, they installed correct stock filter.

IndyCarBrakeBoy

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
took my G80 Sport to dealer for first oil change. The receipt stated SAE 5-20 Synthetic blend. I called dealer to change to the specified ACEA A5 oil, which is a 5 or 10-30 full synthetic. Dealer informed me that Hunday only pays for the 20 blend oil. I called Genesis for clarification to have the dealer change the oil. Genesis informed me, the dealer is not calling back.
I replaced the oil with the correct type. Looks like this is a common problem. The turbo engines running hot, need the thicker synthetic.
I had the same issue. The service manager at Keffer Hyundai didn't know what type of oil was specified for this engine, so they default to a synthetic blend. The reason that ANY turbo engine should only run synthetic has to do with the heat of the turbo bearings and shafts. Higher heat will de stabilize the blend vesus a full syn and expose the bearings to pre mature failure. A full syn also dissipates heat faster than anything else.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.