G80 Sport Oil Change 3.3T Turbo

bubbaG80Sport

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I spoke with the service department at my dealer (Twin City Genesis-Alcoa TN) last week. They were unsure about what the "spec" was for the G80 Sport (3.3L TT). They have been using a Synthetic blend in others G80 Sport. I'll continue doing my own oil changes and use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5W30.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I had the same issue. The service manager at Keffer Hyundai didn't know what type of oil was specified for this engine, so they default to a synthetic blend. The reason that ANY turbo engine should only run synthetic has to do with the heat of the turbo bearings and shafts. Higher heat will de stabilize the blend vesus a full syn and expose the bearings to pre mature failure. A full syn also dissipates heat faster than anything else.
Show them the ACEA A5 spec in the owners manual. Usually that means a full synthetic 5W-30.

glennk

Been here awhile...
Dallas, TX
I had the same issue. The service manager at Keffer Hyundai didn't know what type of oil was specified for this engine, so they default to a synthetic blend. The reason that ANY turbo engine should only run synthetic has to do with the heat of the turbo bearings and shafts. Higher heat will de stabilize the blend vesus a full syn and expose the bearings to pre mature failure. A full syn also dissipates heat faster than anything else.
This is the same problem SAAB had. They put semi-synthetic in their turbocharged engines and mandated a 10,000 mile change interval. After a few short years, the engines had coke build-up along with burned out turbos, resulting in a warranty extension to 8 years. They quickly moved to full synthetic with a 5,000 mile change interval. I can't imagine the 3.3TT running any cooler.

G-793458

I took my G80 Sport in for an oil change. They wanted to put conventional oil in, which I objected too. They finally agreed to use synthetic. According to owners manual it takes
7.29 quarts for a change. They only show 6 quarts on itemized bill. Anybody know for sure how many quarts for a 3.3T twin turbo V6?

GRK
2018 G80 Sport
7 1/2 if you get all the old oil out.

bubbaG80Sport

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I do all of my own oil changes. I've done it 4 times on my 2018 G80 3.3TT Sport. I consistently drain/fill 7 qts. My procedure is warm engine to normal operating temperature (based on vehicle temperature gauge). I jack up driver front side about 1 foot to give me room to get under car. I let oil drain for 45-> 60 minutes until there is no more oil dripping. I check the oil level regularly after change and ensure level is right at high/full mark on dipstick. I also/always change the oil filter. Per page 8-6 of the Owners Manual the oil CAPACITY is 7.29 US qt (6.9L for our friends North of U.S. border ;). Short of tearing down engine you're never going to get ALL of the oil out.

Manual does not explicitly specify full/partial synthetic, just ACEA A5. Footnote 3 states "If the ACEA A5 engine oil is not available in your country, you are able to use ACEA B5 or API SN & ILSAC GF-5 ". I don't believe you can get 5w/30 ACEA A5 certified conventional/dinosaur oil in the U.S. anymore. I run Mobil 1 Full synthetic 5w/30.

3.3 Rulz

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum fits the bills when it comes to ACEA B5, plus it keeps the engine cleaner it seems.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
My closest Genesis/Hyundai dealer also has Honda and Acura dealerships, and has standardized the 5w-30 across all of their dealerships to a Honda synthetic blend. It isn't my first choice, but it does meet the ISLAC GF-5 spec.
I don't know how much the label on the can means. Unless Honda has a refinery, it is re-labeled and perhaps your favorite brand. If it meets the spec, it meets the spec and will perform as needed. I could never tell any difference between brands, never had oil related issues.

3.3 Rulz

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I spoke with the service department at my dealer (Twin City Genesis-Alcoa TN) last week. They were unsure about what the "spec" was for the G80 Sport (3.3L TT). They have been using a Synthetic blend in others G80 Sport. I'll continue doing my own oil changes and use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5W30.
I would dump Mobil1 if I were you, I did, when I got my Chrysler 200, Mobil1 has only a few basic certifications, not even had the one for Chrysler, so I switched to Castrol GTX, now I'm gonna switch to Pennzoil, to see if it keeps it cleaner. I still have the 200, and I do my own oil changes every 5k, and it always come out black and stinky, we'll see if Pennzoil comes out cleaner.

jailer

Been here awhile...
Ok let's do a quick check in with the Project Farm guy and see how multiple oil brands tested out. ......... I started the vid at the final summary of his half year long or so testing.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Ok let's do a quick check in with the Project Farm guy and see how multiple oil brands tested out. ......... I started the vid at the final summary of his half year long or so testing.

Thanks for that.
It still comes down to "what do I need for my purpose" but there were no really bad ones there. This gives some idea of expectations.
Interpretation of the numbers is tricky. Would the best oil for someone driving the interstates for 50k a year be the best for someone driving 1 mile to the grocery store in the winter?