G80 Sport Oil Change 3.3T Turbo

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I spoke with the service department at my dealer (Twin City Genesis-Alcoa TN) last week. They were unsure about what the "spec" was for the G80 Sport (3.3L TT). They have been using a Synthetic blend in others G80 Sport. I'll continue doing my own oil changes and use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5W30.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I had the same issue. The service manager at Keffer Hyundai didn't know what type of oil was specified for this engine, so they default to a synthetic blend. The reason that ANY turbo engine should only run synthetic has to do with the heat of the turbo bearings and shafts. Higher heat will de stabilize the blend vesus a full syn and expose the bearings to pre mature failure. A full syn also dissipates heat faster than anything else.
Show them the ACEA A5 spec in the owners manual. Usually that means a full synthetic 5W-30.

glennk

Been here awhile...
Dallas, TX
I had the same issue. The service manager at Keffer Hyundai didn't know what type of oil was specified for this engine, so they default to a synthetic blend. The reason that ANY turbo engine should only run synthetic has to do with the heat of the turbo bearings and shafts. Higher heat will de stabilize the blend vesus a full syn and expose the bearings to pre mature failure. A full syn also dissipates heat faster than anything else.
This is the same problem SAAB had. They put semi-synthetic in their turbocharged engines and mandated a 10,000 mile change interval. After a few short years, the engines had coke build-up along with burned out turbos, resulting in a warranty extension to 8 years. They quickly moved to full synthetic with a 5,000 mile change interval. I can't imagine the 3.3TT running any cooler.

G-793458

I took my G80 Sport in for an oil change. They wanted to put conventional oil in, which I objected too. They finally agreed to use synthetic. According to owners manual it takes
7.29 quarts for a change. They only show 6 quarts on itemized bill. Anybody know for sure how many quarts for a 3.3T twin turbo V6?

GRK
2018 G80 Sport
7 1/2 if you get all the old oil out.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.