G80 under-body panels on a 2015 Genesis 5.0 for easier oil changes.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Why bother with replacement panels or jacking the car up?

I posted this elsewhere but in case you haven't seen it...

You can buy a 14mm x1.5 to -6an adapter and use a -6an hose and run it to the outer side of the car behind the front left wheel well. There's also a barbed adapter available that will fit the pan thread to a dash 6 hose so you don't have to use a second female hose end. I had all these parts except for the pan adapter.

Put a female/barbed hose end at the outer end with a -6 cap. I drilled two small holes for a tyrap to keep it in place. For extra insurance, I safety wired a wrap around the hose for each barbed fitting. The hose easily routes under the cross member to the outed edge of the panel. (I put some sticky back foam at any place there could be chaffing) Leave a little extra hose (3-4") to pull out from the panel and over a drain pan. You'll only have to jack the car up once to install it.

View attachment 30116

The shot above had the hose routed over the crossmember but I changed it to go under, as below.

View attachment 30117

View attachment 30118

This whole thing shouldn't cost over $40 or so in parts. Next time you drain the oil... snip the tyrap, pull the hose out over a pan and remove the cap. That end of the panel hung down a bit so I drilled a hole in the two panels and put in one of those plastic spreader plugs to hold them together.
Why bother jacking or removing the panels? So that I can change my oil filter for one.:)

Nice workaround by using a hose. Very creative.

arcman

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
AN is aerospace/aircraft standard. Each dash number represents 1/16", hence -6 is 6/16" or 3/8". I went this route 'cause I have a bunch of hose and fittings laying around. Any 3/8" ID hose (oil rated) should do as there would be very little pressure in the pan but there are many ratings on hose types as to materials, layers, permeability and abrasion. That blue Goodridge hose I used is about as stout as I've seen in rubber hose without the stainless braid covering. Not cheap though.

I recently learned a new one about hose ratings and permeability (thanks to another member here). I installed a catch can system using around 6 feet of 5/16" fuel/oil rated hose. Within a couple weeks of installing, each time I'd enter the garage after the car had been sitting after a drive, the garage smelled of fuel/oil vapor. I would have never imagined but the heated vapor in the hose is small enough to permeate the 1/8" thick rubber wall. I replaced the hose with a multi layered one that has a much higher permeability rating recently and no smell yet (only a week so far). The outside of the hose I took off absolutely reeked of that smell.

One more thing I need to note... I just looked back and noticed I forgot to mention this. If you consider installing a hose like this, the oil ends up running through a 5/16" hole (the an fittings). That's small compared to the drain plug. With hot oil, I'm guessing it will take a good ten minutes, maybe 15 to drain (maybe longer... I only did a test). With cold oil, don't bother... it's painful. On the other hand, laying down along side the car to do this is WAY easier than jacking the thing up in the air and crawling underneath.

As mentioned in an earlier post... you can remove the filter on a 3.8L from above with a small tray under it.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
AN is aerospace/aircraft standard. Each dash number represents 1/16", hence -6 is 6/16" or 3/8". I went this route 'cause I have a bunch of hose and fittings laying around. Any 3/8" ID hose (oil rated) should do as there would be very little pressure in the pan but there are many ratings on hose types as to materials, layers, permeability and abrasion. That blue Goodridge hose I used is about as stout as I've seen in rubber hose without the stainless braid covering. Not cheap though.

I recently learned a new one about hose ratings and permeability (thanks to another member here). I installed a catch can system using around 6 feet of 5/16" fuel/oil rated hose. Within a couple weeks of installing, each time I'd enter the garage after the car had been sitting after a drive, the garage smelled of fuel/oil vapor. I would have never imagined but the heated vapor in the hose is small enough to permeate the 1/8" thick rubber wall. I replaced the hose with a multi layered one that has a much higher permeability rating recently and no smell yet (only a week so far). The outside of the hose I took off absolutely reeked of that smell.

One more thing I need to note... I just looked back and noticed I forgot to mention this. If you consider installing a hose like this, the oil ends up running through a 5/16" hole (the an fittings). That's small compared to the drain plug. With hot oil, I'm guessing it will take a good ten minutes, maybe 15 to drain (maybe longer... I only did a test). With cold oil, don't bother... it's painful. On the other hand, laying down along side the car to do this is WAY easier than jacking the thing up in the air and crawling underneath.

As mentioned in an earlier post... you can remove the filter on a 3.8L from above with a small tray under it.
Sound like a great workaround to me to change the oil without removing the under body panels. I would consider this method if I did not have the 5.0 engine which requires the oil filter to be removed from under the car.

As it stands, having panel doors on the underbody panels(stock or custom) is still the best method to change the oil and oil filter for the 2015+ V8 engine.

V6 owners appears to have a few more options.

Andyj

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Someone posted pictures of installing the access doors in a thread here.

AggieAloha

Hasn't posted much yet...
Dallas, TX
Came on here looking for a single jackpoint to lift entire front or entire rear - and came across this nugget of a thread. I have a 2015 3.8 2WD (I believe last year for FWD) and was wondering if anyone has tried the panel swap for a 3.8 2WD; or simply cut and install the panel hatch for the filter and drain plug. Thanks again for the great thoughts in making our lives easier.

AggieAloha

Hasn't posted much yet...
Dallas, TX
FYI for those pre-G80 3.8 Sedan owners, the Fumoto F106S-LC10 doesn't fit without an extender - can't screw it in without hitting the oil pan body. Will have to return and get the SX swivel model, or purchase an extender.

millemk

Minnesota
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Ultimate
I had just picked up the under body panel doors. I was going to just cut a hole and add the access doors. Try to save some $. But I know I wont like the non factory look. I will try it though.
Could you advise how the access door add worked for you? Any hole cut dimensioning, location, or tab mounting issues?

Beeswax

2016 Hyundai Genesis DH 3.8 V6 RWD
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Chicago Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Came on here looking for a single jackpoint to lift entire front or entire rear - and came across this nugget of a thread. I have a 2015 3.8 2WD (I believe last year for FWD) and was wondering if anyone has tried the panel swap for a 3.8 2WD; or simply cut and install the panel hatch for the filter and drain plug. Thanks again for the great thoughts in making our lives easier.
Try searching this title below in search box and might take you to a thread I posted about these panels..
" EZ Oil & Filter Change on 2015-2016 Models (DIY Access Panel/Covers) "

DMartin

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Ultimate
Hello - I have a 2017 G80 3.8 Ultimate and purchased the 2 under covers for the under car panels. I just installed them and they are going to make my oil changes so much easier. I spent about $60 for these. Cut out the openings for the covers with a skill saw and used plastic fasteners to attach them. I will also replace the drain plug with a Fumoto drain plug I purchased. Took about 3 hours to do. I would recommend doing this modification.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Hello - I have a 2017 G80 3.8 Ultimate and purchased the 2 under covers for the under car panels. I just installed them and they are going to make my oil changes so much easier. I spent about $60 for these. Cut out the openings for the covers with a skill saw and used plastic fasteners to attach them. I will also replace the drain plug with a Fumoto drain plug I purchased. Took about 3 hours to do. I would recommend doing this modification.
Pics please!!!

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums