G80 Windshield repair/replacement

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
This is what he said,
I spoke to my insurance and the windshield is covered subject to deductible. The glass repair place my dealer uses is one of the preferred shops for my insurance as well so they can direct bill the insurance. I just need to schedule the repair.
I got you and thank you Windchaser, I'd appreciate the info just the same. Send it to me in a private message if you prefer.

BARRYW

Getting familiar with the group...
Delaware
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Windshield damage falls under comprehensive coverage and there should be no rate increase. Your deductible is what ever you elect. My company offers deductible at no additional cost.

BillZ

Registered Member
Toronto
I had the misfortune of having a rock hit the windshield this morning on my way to work. Does anyone have experience with repairing or replacing their windshield? At the moment the cracks are have not spidered out too far from the chip but it is a significant chip and I suspect that the cracks will expand rather quickly. Anyone know the rough cost of a replacement windshield? While I know repair is a possible option the ship is right in front of the steering wheel so it is in center view when driving. That is one reason I am leaning toward replacing it. I don't really want to drive around with a big chip in my sites all the time.
I had the windshield replaced on my 2015 Genesis with the tech package. The experience with the dealer in Florida (Gettel Hyundai of Sarasota) was a nightmare. They screwed up the lane-keeping assist and tried to suggest I brought it in like that and then managed to punch a hole in the driver's door inside panel by slamming the door with the seatbelt buckle not retracted. Again they suggest "it was probably like that when you brought it in." Eventually they took care of the repairs, but the whole process took a couple of weeks, multiple trips and a great deal of argument. The cost was about $2400 with tax of which $1950 was the windshield. At least everything is back to normal now. I would comment that the markup on the parts is horrendous. I priced the same windshield on line through Delray Hyundai (hyundaioemparts.com) at $1350. As my insurance company was paying everything but my $300 deductible, it didn't affect my bottom line. It's possible that dealers in Florida take advantage of the insurance laws there that require insurers to pay 100% for windshield repairs. My insurer is in Canada.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I get to try the fill glass coverage on my car. Storm just came through and a branch took out the front passenger window. I'll call the insurance tomorrow.

Windchaser

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
The final cost for the repair was:
OEM Windshield: $1914.27
Labor: $192.00
Sensor Gel (Sensor Tack): $30.15
Molding (Black) (w/s) (Upper): $14.09
Urethane Seal Kit: $30.00
Calibration $125.00 (Dealer performed this)
Tax: $164.00
Total: $2469.56

I should add the the repair looks good. The windshield has the Genesis markings in the lower right corner just like the original. I tested the lane assist and everything seemed to work just fine. Other than some hand prints on the glass and the order of the sealant everything is perfect. I hope the order dissipates quickly.

Last edited:

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Thanks for the input Windchaser it's appreciated. I hope your premium isn't effected.

Starflyer

Hasn't posted much yet...
Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
The actual Safe Light OEM Replacement is listed for $1,899.90 with mobile service, if anyone is interested. There maybe cheaper but I'm not certain.
WOW! I thought the Heads UP display just reflected off the windshield. Is there something special in the glass for HUD? I've probably suffered a ding (star) hit about every 2 years. My insurance pays for the whole repair if it can be fixed a chip. A spreading crack and it's the whole windshield replacement deal. For me, that's either $200 or $250 deductible. Almost all my windshield hits came from large trucks. I try to avoid being anywhere close to them on the highway.

Windchaser

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
WOW! I thought the Heads UP display just reflected off the windshield. Is there something special in the glass for HUD? I've probably suffered a ding (star) hit about every 2 years. My insurance pays for the whole repair if it can be fixed a chip. A spreading crack and it's the whole windshield replacement deal. For me, that's either $200 or $250 deductible. Almost all my windshield hits came from large trucks. I try to avoid being anywhere close to them on the highway.
Yes, the HUD has some additional coatings in the windshield to make it work properly. You can't just drop in a generic windshield and have the HUD or various sensor systems work properly.

ACN

AZ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
If you are paying anywhere close to 1k you are getting ripped off. My wife's mercedes just had a huge chip and it's quoted cost was $500 by the a shop that just does glass. It has two cameras, rain sensing, etc.

Windchaser

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I picked the car up Wednesday evening and drove the few miles to get to my house. I didn't use the car yesterday. However, today when I drove to work I noticed the that HUD is off. It is not aligned properly. It looks like two images get over layed in the display and they are not aligned properly. The image is not sharp and crisp. It has a shadow effect. If I move my head way toward the center it looks correct. Somehow this got out of alignment when the replaced the windshield. I spoke to the dealership and I just need to schedule when to get this fixed. It will be a bit since I am traveling for work next week.

Starflyer

Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I picked the car up Wednesday evening and drove the few miles to get to my house. I didn't use the car yesterday. However, today when I drove to work I noticed the that HUD is off. It is not aligned properly. It looks like two images get over layed in the display and they are not aligned properly. The image is not sharp and crisp. It has a shadow effect. If I move my head way toward the center it looks correct. Somehow this got out of alignment when the replaced the windshield. I spoke to the dealership and I just need to schedule when to get this fixed. It will be a bit since I am traveling for work next week.
A lot of what you mentioned can be adjusted in the dashboard settings.

Windchaser

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
A lot of what you mentioned can be adjusted in the dashboard settings.
No, I tried all of the adjustments. It was very crisp before the windshield replacement and after it is off. The in-dash adjustments don’t do a thing. I think they need to calibrate/realign the HUD projectors themselves.

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
If you are paying anywhere close to 1k you are getting ripped off. My wife's mercedes just had a huge chip and it's quoted cost was $500 by the a shop that just does glass. It has two cameras, rain sensing, etc.
Good luck with that. The bottom line is anywhere between $1800 -$2500. In fact I don't believe there's an aftermarket windshield option for the Genesis, after looking. So it is what it is. Price an OEM for a Mercedes and you'll find out they aren't cheap either. If your getting one cheaper then it's not a OEM windshield. I've had them replaced also on a GLA45 AMG. And let's don't even talk about a Porsche.o_O

Last edited:

Starflyer

Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Are you referring to a chip or windshield replacement? As far as I now, cameras and rain sensing are not part of a window replacement. If it was replaced for $500, it must have been a used windshield.

lobsenza

Registered Member
Austin, TX
The windshield replacement on my 2015 Ultimate was $2800. This included recalibrating the sensors and reapplying the clear tint that was on the windshield. It had no effect on my insurance rates. It was the OEM windshield, not aftermarket.

Windchaser

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Well now I know the process. On my way home tonight I heard a tiny clink and what would you know, I got a chip and crack in this windshield. I’ve been trying nearly 40 years and have driven close to a million miles and have never had this happen this often. In fact, I’ve only had two other windshields get a crack over all those years. Now I have two in a few months. This sucks.

lt2211

Sustaining Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Rockton, Illinois 61072
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Well now I know the process. On my way home tonight I heard a tiny clink and what would you know, I got a chip and crack in this windshield. I’ve been trying nearly 40 years and have driven close to a million miles and have never had this happen this often. In fact, I’ve only had two other windshields get a crack over all those years. Now I have two in a few months. This sucks.
That does suck. Perhaps it can be filled, rather than replaced.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.