• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

G80 Windshield repair/replacement

Rick in Yuma

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Arizona
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

ifonline

Been here awhile...
Braselton, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
My windshield got hit a few days ago. Cussed, loudly. Calmed down later and actually looked at the windshield and realized it was pitted but not cracked. I'll live with it for now. While I haven't replaced windshields as often as you have, I have replaced one in almost every vehicle I have driven. Not fun.

lt2211

Sustaining Member
Rockton, Illinois 61072
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I Just had the second windshield replaced around mid August. This now makes the second trip to Safelite auto glass in six months. My Insurance company now out about $4800 for two windshields. The first windshield was broken at about 70 miles an hour going down the freeway near Phoenix. The second windshield one out at 45 miles an hour when a car through a rock or something up in front of me. It was about 9 o’clock at night so it was pretty dark out. I didn’t see how big the rock or bolt was. Both strikes hit passenger side upper area of the windshield about 6 inches from the A pillar at the roof line.
Anybody have me beat yet, at two windshields in less than a year.:unsure:
You appear to have the worlds worst luck in the windshield department. I can not find anything that indicates there is any unusual problems with the Genesis windshield.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Rick in Yuma

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Arizona
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
My windshield got hit a few days ago. Cussed, loudly. Calmed down later and actually looked at the windshield and realized it was pitted but not cracked. I'll live with it for now. While I haven't replaced windshields as often as you have, I have replaced one in almost every vehicle I have driven. Not fun.
Make sure you at least get them to fill the pit with windshield epoxy. I've seen good pits and chips, turn into cracks during the right weather and hitting the right road hazards ie, potholes etc.. It doesn't cost you anything thru your insurance. They simply fill it with the windshield repair and place a dot over it until it dries. Then level it with a razor blade. They're barely noticeable after the repair also. Just a thought!

ifonline

Been here awhile...
Braselton, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Make sure you at least get them to fill the pit with windshield epoxy
The pit isn't nearly deep enough. It must have been a rock or chunk of asphalt that hit the window because what I saw from the inside looked really bad but it turned out it was mostly just debris left on the windshield that wiped away easily enough.

lt2211

Sustaining Member
Rockton, Illinois 61072
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Make sure you at least get them to fill the pit with windshield epoxy. I've seen good pits and chips, turn into cracks during the right weather and hitting the right road hazards ie, potholes etc.. It doesn't cost you anything thru your insurance. They simply fill it with the windshield repair and place a dot over it until it dries. Then level it with a razor blade. They're barely noticeable after the repair also. Just a thought!
Good advice always best to fill any pits or chips.

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
In 25 of years of owning cars I never had to replace a windshield until buying my first Hyundai. I had to replace the windshield 2x in 6 years on my 2011 Genesis 3.8. I don't attribute this to Hyundai/Genesis, but to bad luck.

My insurance company (Erie) will waive the deductible and fill chips/cracks, where feasible. They'd much rather do this (cheaper/prevent further cracking) than to pay for a windshield replacement.

I'm surprised too see a cost of $2,400 ($4,800 / 2) for a windshield. Dealer wanted $1,200, but I went to Safelite for $400 to get my 2011 Genesis 3.8 windshield replaced in 2004. Safelite claimed and I am inclined to believe it is the same as the factory glass sans Hyundai logo.

Windchaser

Getting familiar with the group...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
In 25 of years of owning cars I never had to replace a windshield until buying my first Hyundai. I had to replace the windshield 2x in 6 years on my 2011 Genesis 3.8. I don't attribute this to Hyundai/Genesis, but to bad luck.

My insurance company (Erie) will waive the deductible and fill chips/cracks, where feasible. They'd much rather do this (cheaper/prevent further cracking) than to pay for a windshield replacement.

I'm surprised too see a cost of $2,400 ($4,800 / 2) for a windshield. Dealer wanted $1,200, but I went to Safelite for $400 to get my 2011 Genesis 3.8 windshield replaced in 2004. Safelite claimed and I am inclined to believe it is the same as the factory glass sans Hyundai logo.
Did you have the HUD? That increases the cost of the windshield. I will probably try to get this one filled. The crack has spread yet but it is a large chip. It is large than a pea. This one is just left of center a few inches from the bottom of the windshield. It is not as visible. The last one was right in front of me above the steering wheeling. That would get very distracting to have to look through everyday when on the road.

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I do have the HUD. That may explain the additional cost. Additionally, all the gadgets/sensors around the rear view mirror may make the installation more difficult/costly$. Using Safelite website just now to get an estimate in my area, the cost for 2018 G80 windshield is (w/ HUD $1679.99 w/o HUD $1,038.99) :eek:.

Damage from a rock (round) does make the windshield glass more susceptible to eventually cracking. It is even more likely if the chip is close to the edge of the window. I got a chip from a rock on the interstate at speed on my 2011 3.8 on the passenger side 3 inches from the outside edge. Over a couple of weeks a crack formed toward the passenger side. Washing the car on a hot day, the crack went all the way to the passenger edge and started moving toward the driver side, necessitating a full replacement of the windshield. I suspect the cold water on the hot windshield was a contributing factor.

Also, the windows in a car, in particular front and rear, provide structural integrity to the cabin of the vehicle. Glass can be made surprisingly strong. Most states have laws against operating a vehicle with a CRACKED windshield for this reason (and reduced visibility).

Consider getting it repaired to prevent eventual cracking. Per above some insurance will cover this cost w/o deductible. If not, out of pocket costs are about $125 per chip.

Last edited:

Jimmy

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I had the misfortune of having a rock hit the windshield this morning on my way to work. Does anyone have experience with repairing or replacing their windshield? At the moment the cracks are have not spidered out too far from the chip but it is a significant chip and I suspect that the cracks will expand rather quickly. Anyone know the rough cost of a replacement windshield? While I know repair is a possible option the ship is right in front of the steering wheel so it is in center view when driving. That is one reason I am leaning toward replacing it. I don't really want to drive around with a big chip in my sites all the time.
It happen me twice and my car only have 10.000 miles o know that’s bad luck but it was a very small rick both times and damaged my window right away I really wonder if there windows is something wrong with and the cost to replace it is very expensive 2.200
Second time I try I’d to repair but it cracked all the way so now I have to pay 2.200 again that mean 4.400 dollar in windows in just 10.000 miles I worry to even drive the car now

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Starflyer

Hasn't posted much yet...
Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
If the chip is in your field of vision or annoys you, I would recommend you try the repair first. My insurance company (USAA) pays for the whole cost of the repair. After the repair is done, if the crack spreads they pay for the replacement with a deductible charge of $100.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums