Genesis Dealers with plans for a separate building

Starflyer

Hasn't posted much yet...
Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I'm looking forward to the day when Hyundai (Genesis) comes out with a list of ALL the Genesis dealers in the US. I don't care if there's a Genesis dealer sharing a building with a Hyundai dealer although it would be nice to have them separated. Common sense says "separate" is NOT going to happen until sales reach a critical mass where there's dealer work for sales personal, title people and probably most important, service personal.

Brick and mortar, personel costs and dealer stock is a big nut to handle without enough sales to pay the freight. Until this happens, the Genesis line is just a Hyundai hobby IMO.

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I'm looking forward to the day when Hyundai (Genesis) comes out with a list of ALL the Genesis dealers in the US. I don't care if there's a Genesis dealer sharing a building with a Hyundai dealer although it would be nice to have them separated. Common sense says "separate" is NOT going to happen until sales reach a critical mass where there's dealer work for sales personal, title people and probably most important, service personal.

Brick and mortar, personel costs and dealer stock is a big nut to handle without enough sales to pay the freight. Until this happens, the Genesis line is just a Hyundai hobby IMO.
What would you do different? Yes, you are correct that they need more sales. They need SUVs too.

They have hundreds of millions of dollars invested and are working on new models to increase sales. Did you expect them to start out from day one with 300+ dealers and every car needed to sell and make a profit?

Starflyer

Hasn't posted much yet...
Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
What would you do different? Yes, you are correct that they need more sales. They need SUVs too.

They have hundreds of millions of dollars invested and are working on new models to increase sales. Did you expect them to start out from day one with 300+ dealers and every car needed to sell and make a profit?
Well, I think Lexus, Infinity and Acura all started out with totally separate dealers. I remember when the Acura line came to the US, Honda dealers thought they would be selling them. Honda (Acura) quickly said they were out of luck and there would be separate Acura dealers instead. From DAY one. This Hyundai/Genesis operation has been going on now for 10 years? Like I've posted on other threads here. it's a Hyundai hobby.

2018 Year End Sales Summary
For the full year, Hyundai and Genesis sold 677,946 vehicles, 10,000 of which were Genesis models.

With branding like "Car of the Year", one would expect more sales of their Genesis models rather than a bit over 1% of Hyundai sales. Acura sales are about 4% of Honda sales. Of course, both Honda AND Acura include SUV's in their lineup. And one would expect Genesis sales to increase perhaps double or triple when they do put ACTUAL SUV's on their lots.

Ann L.

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Starflyer has my feelings exactly. Who is making the Genesis/Hyundai decisions in the US? I saw the headman sponsoring a golf tournament. After G70 gets Car of the Year, it faded. Missed opportunity. In my opinion, they have a great product, but are missing the marketing boat. In Phoenix before I leased my Genesis I was at BMW, trading in my 740 and looking at a new 740. I told the salesman I was interested in a Genesis too, knowing their dealership also carried the Genesis line. It was like I mentioned a hot potato that no one wanted to touch. Salesman was making his $ selling 740s, not a Genesis. When you realize an excellent alternative to the 740 is the G90 ( the 300 series vs. G70) you would think there would be some co teaming. If I were Genesis I would want Chapman who has the corner on the BMW market in Phoenix, and also sells Genesis to get some real co-teaming. Instead I left Chapman and went to another dealer to lease my Genesis. If Chapman would have seen this as an opportunity as I was going to get either a 740 or a Genesis, it would of been a win for Chapman either way. Is it because how we compensate a salesperson that they can't sell both lines? And a win for me as I would of stayed under the umbrella of excellent service Chapman offers. So I ended up using another dealership's horrible customer service, had an engine overheat at 8k miles that could of been prevented. This whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth. Where is the top management for Genesis or their BOD, what's their plan going forward. It's like hollering into the wind.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
When you realize an excellent alternative to the 740 is the G90 ( the 300 series vs. G70) you would think there would be some co teaming. If I were Genesis I would want Chapman who has the corner on the BMW market in Phoenix, and also sells Genesis to get some real co-teaming.
Genesis has no control over how the sales people handle things like that. Dealers are independent and though they have some requirements, the dealer makes those decision.

Good chance the salesman knew little about the Genesis line and thought he was going to sell you a BMW, but you were smarter than him.

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Unlike some others, I am truly surprised Raphael wasn't fired. I think he should have been for no other reason than showing their potential customers that they realized they made many mistakes with the rollout and will try and be more responsive in the future. May have been a hollow gesture and meaningless but things like that sometimes happen.
Typical action in the US, your team does not make the playoffs, fire the coach. Even if the main office vetoed his choice of players.

We don't know what really went on and if Raphael was fighting his boss all the way. Seems like some heads should have rolled though.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

BobLoblaw

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
For dealers that don't yet have a separate building from Hyundai, and share the same showroom, do they also share staff? Or are there dedicated Sales & Service people that only work on Genesis?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
For dealers that don't yet have a separate building from Hyundai, and share the same showroom, do they also share staff? Or are there dedicated Sales & Service people that only work on Genesis?
Depends on the dealer. Where I bought mine, they had two salesmen that were Genesis first but they could sell Hyundai, but the Hyundai guys could not sell Genesis
Most have Genesis trained sales and service people and that is the goal for all dealers. Of course the don't only work on Genesis. They may be the only ones that do, but if there is no Genesis to service they can work on anything. Like the cars on the Used section.

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Hahaha!

BobLoblaw

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Hah! Kind of figured that after going in for a test drive, but wanted to see if maybe that dealer was an anomaly.

The sales guy I went on a ride with couldn't answer a single question about the G70, but was excited to go along for a longer ride and learn. The good thing was I didn't get a sales pitch the whole way, but I'm curious how they would handle potential Genesis specific issues after getting the car. I couldn't find anything negative about the dealer in the forums and they seem like they've been taking care of their customers for years now, so I think I need to relax.

Piz

Registered Member
Connecticut
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Stamford (and Danbury) Genesis in Connecticut have done right by me and appear to be committed to the future dealership requirements. They have Genesis sales people, business cards, valet service, and Genesis loaners. They even have a showroom in the Stamford Town Center Mall. Considering the f*ing nightmare stories I've read in this forum, Stamford Genesis deserves a shout out.