Genesis G70 Lexicon Sound System

GenesisYEG

Been here awhile...
Edmonton, Alberta
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The 15 speaker Lexicon is a great system. It is definitely oriented more towards bassheads -- I can only tolerate +1/+2 bass maximum before I find it too boomy. It has much more bass than the 17 speaker QuantumLogic 7.1 Lexicon systems in the G80/G90 at the expense of detail and clarity.

You won't find anything "audiophile quality" in this class of car for audio systems, nor would I expect any car audio system to deliver a true audiophile experience (tire noise, wind noise, engine noise). However, the 15 speaker Lexicon is a ton of fun and is a great fit for the G70!

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
This is totally true. I have had Harman Kardon systems in several vehicles and they are definitely not all the same. Huge range in quality and they all have the same logo on the speakers.

I am sure the system in the Bentley will blow away the system in the G70, just like I expect the Lexicon in the G80 and G90 to also be a set or two better.
Correct - these OEM sound systems are designed to spec.

The 15 speaker Lexicon is a great system. It is definitely oriented more towards bassheads -- I can only tolerate +1/+2 bass maximum before I find it too boomy. It has much more bass than the 17 speaker QuantumLogic 7.1 Lexicon systems in the G80/G90 at the expense of detail and clarity!
Not surprising considering the projected lower avg. age of buyers for thr G70.

For those that don't know - harman/kardon is a pretty big name in hi-fi and is a division of Harman Int'l Industries which is now owned by Samsung.

Harman Industries owns (along w/ h/k and Lexicon) a wide range of hi-fi brands - Crown, AKG, Martin, Revel, Arcam, Soundcraft, Mark Levinson (which does the audio systems for Lexus) - along w/ more mass market brands like JBL and Infinity.

PD705

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I think the bass-heaviness of the G70 Lexicon system is more attributable to sub placement (beneath seats) than any particular calibration difference. The sub placement isn't just advantageous due to the proximity to the driver; they actually use the chassis' side rails as a resonance tube to amplify the bass.

Ruissimo

Registered Member
Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Do any of you who have used the G70 Lexicon have any experience with the 17-speaker Lexicon system in the 2012s? If so, how do they compare?

For instance, is it true 7.1 surround? Does it play DVD-As?

Thanks!

TOGuy242

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Toronto, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Do any of you who have used the G70 Lexicon have any experience with the 17-speaker Lexicon system in the 2012s? If so, how do they compare?

Thanks!
I don't know about the comparison, but there's no physical drive in the G70 ...

PD705

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Thanks!
I felt the old 2012s had slightly better surround sound, personally, but that may be due to the lower overall NVH of the BH/DH platform cars versus G70. No optical drive in the car so your only option for lossless audio is a USB device.

TOGuy242

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Toronto, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I felt the old 2012s had slightly better surround sound, personally, but that may be due to the lower overall NVH of the BH/DH platform cars versus G70. No optical drive in the car so your only option for lossless audio is a USB device.
Have you tried playing a little with the different surround templates? I found a sweet spot for myself - in 'audience' mode, with Bass +2 and Mid +1 ...

kmooney4

Registered Member
Maryland, USA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Interesting read... for me, that doesn't make much of a difference. I'll probably use Apple CarPlay for my navigation, and that's it. I don't care about the touchpad or rotary dial input methods - I actually prefer the touchscreen method anyways.

Personally, as long as the screen itself looks good, I'm not worried about the graphics or other features of the infotainment (voice control I barely use anyway)... I just want a good, clean look to it which Genesis nailed IMO.

mcornett

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Interesting read... for me, that doesn't make much of a difference. I'll probably use Apple CarPlay for my navigation, and that's it. I don't care about the touchpad or rotary dial input methods - I actually prefer the touchscreen method anyways.

Personally, as long as the screen itself looks good, I'm not worried about the graphics or other features of the infotainment (voice control I barely use anyway)... I just want a good, clean look to it which Genesis nailed IMO.
I bought the G70 prepared to dislike the infotainment system -- I thought it looked simple and I had read it is slightly outdated. I thought I'd be using Carplay all the time.

However, now that I've used the system for a while, I quite like how the G70 does things. I find its navigation system (which does include live traffic) to be simple and reliable. The screen is very crisp. If you want things to look more 'fancy', you can enable a 3D map. Bluetooth connections work well and telephone calls sound very clear (the person I called remaked on this too). Personally, the fact that the car can't be enabled as a WiFi hotspot or controlled via Alexa is a non-issue for me, and I anticipate for most consumers.

I haven't delved too deeply into voice commands and I'm not sure the G70 reads out / composes text messages as smoothly as I'd like. Once iOS 12 comes out (with Google Maps / Waze), I'm sure I will use CarPlay most of the time. But in the odd situation I forget my phone at home or don't have a USB cable to connect, the car's own system is more than adequate. I'm happy on this front.

kmooney4

Registered Member
Maryland, USA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I bought the G70 prepared to dislike the infotainment system -- I thought it looked simple and I had read it is slightly outdated. I thought I'd be using Carplay all the time.

However, now that I've used the system for a while, I quite like how the G70 does things. I find its navigation system (which does include live traffic) to be simple and reliable. The screen is very crisp. If you want things to look more 'fancy', you can enable a 3D map. Bluetooth connections work well and telephone calls sound very clear (the person I called remaked on this too). Personally, the fact that the car can't be enabled as a WiFi hotspot or controlled via Alexa is a non-issue for me, and I anticipate for most consumers.

I haven't delved too deeply into voice commands and I'm not sure the G70 reads out / composes text messages as smoothly as I'd like. Once iOS 12 comes out (with Google Maps / Waze), I'm sure I will use CarPlay most of the time. But in the odd situation I forget my phone at home or don't have a USB cable to connect, the car's own system is more than adequate. I'm happy on this front.
Interesting. I'm the same as you: I am expecting it to be subpar. That is good news to hear that the navigation and voice calling are crisp. As for text message reading/composing that doesn't bother me as I don't ever use these features.

Thanks for the review of infotainment, mcornett!!

mcornett

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Has anybody found the G70 sound system to be a bit too "punchy" on the mids and uppers ?

I am finding that when I get the volume to moderate levels that I'd typically enjoy, the sound is harsh. I have even turned down the mids to -6 and the treble to -7 and still find it is not as relaxing an experience as I'd like. It may be that the speakers need to be broken in a little bit longer.

I do not have the Clarity setting or any other Lexicon enhancements enabled.

I'd be curious to know if anybody else has had this experience and how you have configured your system.

devellis

Been here awhile...
North Carolina
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I think with many sound systems, it takes some fiddling around to get the setting set optimally for any individual. All I ask for is the ability to make a wide enough range of adjustments to make it reasonably likely that I can find something I like. Systems with limited adjustments can be a let-down.

Drezz

Registered Member
Rochester, NY, USA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I'm curious if the Clari-Fi feature does what it says it should... seems like a good idea in theory.

I enjoy quality audio, though I've never customized a system in a car. Glad that the Lexicon system will be in the 2.0T Sport 6MT.

I know it isn't a high-end system per se, but I really liked the "Fender" (Panasonic) audio in newer VWs I've test-driven. The subwoofer really gave fullness to the sound.

My 2007 Volvo S60 T5 has the factory surround-sound upgrade, but no dedicated sub. The "surround" effect is cool, but not much bass.

thedisbeliever

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I also noticed a bit of a “tinny” sound to the highs, and haven’t really had time to fiddle with the settings. It’s mainly at higher volumes like mcornett says, and I also wondered if it’ll soften up once the speakers have been broken in.

The bass on the other hand I’m really happy with. It’s powerful but tight, without being boomy. As far as I’ve tried, it doesn’t distort at any volume level that a human would want to listen to music in. For comparison, I’ve found the bass in the Audi S5 to have a limit of volume beyond which it totally falls apart.

I’ll report on whether I managed to tone down the highs once I’ve had time to play around more.

mcornett

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Has anybody found the G70 sound system to be a bit too "punchy" on the mids and uppers ?

I am finding that when I get the volume to moderate levels that I'd typically enjoy, the sound is harsh. I have even turned down the mids to -6 and the treble to -7 and still find it is not as relaxing an experience as I'd like. It may be that the speakers need to be broken in a little bit longer.

I do not have the Clarity setting or any other Lexicon enhancements enabled.

I'd be curious to know if anybody else has had this experience and how you have configured your system.
Just wanted to report back on this -- I'm up to about 3000km on the car and have listened to the stereo system a lot.

I'm still on the fence as to whether it's as good as the Burmeister in my C300, but I'm happy to report I've either become accustomed to the sound or the system has broken in a bit -- I no longer am bothered by a tinny mid / upper range.

I had the settings at a severely reduced -6 for the mids and -7 for the treble. I'm now at -1 bass, -1 mid, -1 treble and things sound great. The bass is fantastic.

Ruissimo

Registered Member
Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thank you all for your feedback so far. Does anyone have experience with high-quality "lossless" files in the G70? If so, what would you recommend as a setup in the G70? You know, storage and connection to the system.

Also... anyone know what the surround sound quality is like?

Thanks!

AGD

Registered Member
Outskirts of Ottawa, in the Heart of Darkness...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I've only just tried it on the test drives, as I only take possession of my G70 on Wednesday, but I thought the sound system was amazing.

I didn't fiddle with it, just gave it volume, and I was very impressed. I have a Bose system in my Suburban, and that was decent enough. The Lexicon is in another league.

They also use Lexicon systems in Rolls Royces. Like Edmguy mentioned, the components probably aren't the same as the ones found in Bentleys and Royces, but just being part of the conversation is not a bad thing.

I can't wait to dial it in!

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Question.

When I start my car up...the screen always defaults to the split map/radio preset screen.

Is there a way for it to start up on the music menu? I use that 95% of the time...and want all my presets in full view. If I want a map...I’ll hit the Map button.

Thanks