Genesis G70 Lexicon Sound System

50jae

Registered Member
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Are you allowing AA to connect via cable AND bluetooth? Make sure you have the bluetooth off in the Settings.

Is that for AA or spotify setting? If you turn Bluetooth off in AA, are your calling functions disabled?

MrMegadeth

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
AAs settings and no, calling is done via the cable. It's under the Phone screen settings...."Use Bluetooth".

I noticed on mine the nav would work but the audio was trash so I flipped that off and now the music runs at a higher codec via the cable instead of the BT codec.

50jae

Registered Member
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
AAs settings and no, calling is done via the cable. It's under the Phone screen settings...."Use Bluetooth".

I noticed on mine the nav would work but the audio was trash so I flipped that off and now the music runs at a higher codec via the cable instead of the BT codec.

My mind is blown as I plugged in my phone for the past 3 years in my previous genesis and G70 but have been getting crappy audio through BT on AA all this time 😵

MrMegadeth

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Depending on the Music Player you use on your Android you may need to tweak a few things. For example, in mine I had to disable DVC for the USB DAC.

If you are just using an in-built one, especially Google Play Music, you'll probably be ok. I use PowerAmp.

Also, phone calls and text will still go over Bluetooth because of standardization of HFP and the issues with different Android SOC configurations.

Last edited:

MrMegadeth

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
..."The audio protocol used between the Headunit and the phone is PCM (uncompressed) - 48Khz, 2 channels, Stereo (CD Quality)"...

Q: Why can’t we use Bluetooth for Android Auto in the car dash?

A: Bluetooth does not have enough bandwidth to render audio & video for Android Auto.

Q: Why is Bluetooth used when Android Auto has a USB connection?
* Example: Bluetooth is used for phone calls via HFP (Hands Free Protocol).

A: Android manufactures implement a variety of Bluetooth standards as well as Hardware SoC’s (System on a Chip). Android Auto needs to work reliably in your vehicle so the standard is to connect over Bluetooth HFP for voice calls.

[FAQ] Bluetooth and Android Auto: How it works and why - Android Auto Help
Why can't I use this app on my car's touchscreen by connecting via Bluetooth? - Android Auto Help

L Doucet

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I’ve had the Harmon Kardon in my 2016 Optima, and trust me the Lexicon in my G70 sounds a whole lot better!!

Bastiat

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks Bastiat - good info. I'm looking into buying a Genesis - it's my mid life crisis car. I use it for work though so the 3.3T is out (the better my gas mileage, the more money I make - but I want to be comfortable in the vehicle especially when I have those 3 to 4 hour hwy trips and sound is a big priority - not the be all end all but it's still there).

I'm also a self proclaimed 'audiophile' and have had healthy and eye opening debates with many people regarding what you have stated. I'm also a (very) amateur guitar player.

Electronics - what you say has merit - IF it's tube driven. My Fender Blues Deluxe Tube amp (Guitar) definitely sounds better once the tubes warm up. solid state - nope. Speakers.... no. I proved it to myself and others with speakers. Speakers will 'loosen'up but that process goes by very fast. But the sound quality, unless you're an Owl, you'd never detect. What 'breaks in' is the human ear (and brain)- it breaks in to the sound that you hear day in and day out. What you get used to.

BTW - the speakers - I had a speaker, after 3 months of ownership, blow up on me (crossover) - so needed it replaced. So now I have one speaker that is 'broken in' - one speaker that is 'brand new'. I had my son switch out the speakers - did not hear one iota of difference - brand new (was still sealed in box before I hooked it up that is lol) to a speaker with about 300 hours on it (100 hours a month is about right - it's on all the time either for music, TV / movies, or radio). I couldn't tell blindfolded, son couldn't, friends couldn't. Zero difference.

So apologies as I'm not trying to start a debate or anything here. Just relaying my own experiences. I find that if you don't like the way something sounds 'out of the box' don't let people say 'don't worry, it will break in and you'll like it' - it doesn't break in. Your ears and brain is what breaks in to the sound. Something that sounds like you describe - crisp and harsh, someone who loves 'BOSE" would hate it. But if they listened to that system enough, they'd begin to realize that 'crisp and harsh' is actually more accurate and detailed, not the masked/ muddy sound they have grown accustomed to.

Alan Shaw from Harbeth puts it best - go to a club and sit as close as you can to the drummer (especially if it's jazz). The cymbals will eventually drive you crazy - very harsh very bright - all systems that promote long listening sessions will 'tone that shit down' . I prefer the accuracy as and you mentioned with your bass you can always eq that stuff down. BOSE - you can't. So happy this car doesn't come with BOSE. My current vehicle has a Harman Kardon so I know the sound but I believe that the Lexicon (from what you and others are describing) would be the step up like the Genesis to Hyuandai.

Hey, KptKrunch. No apologies needed! I do think speakers and electronics "break in"; that said, the sound isn't going to be dramatically better, and if you didn't like the sound before, you're not likely to after. I have no tube gear, but do have a class A/B amp in my home system (with Monitor Audio speakers) that I think really makes a difference over my old class D amp. I like your Alan Shaw quote, and agree with it. I think people get used to music sounding a certain way on whatever gear they have, and grow to like it that way. When they hear really accurate reproduction on better gear, they sometimes are shocked and think it sounds worse. Psychoacoustics is still in its infancy, so this phenomenon is not well understood.

Anyway, if you test drive a G70, I'd be very interested in your take on the sound system. Funny, I told my wife the G70 I bought was a mid-life crisis car, and she responded "You're way past that." C'est la amor!

KptKrunch

Registered Member
Edm
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hey, KptKrunch. No apologies needed! I do think speakers and electronics "break in"; that said, the sound isn't going to be dramatically better, and if you didn't like the sound before, you're not likely to after. I have no tube gear, but do have a class A/B amp in my home system (with Monitor Audio speakers) that I think really makes a difference over my old class D amp. I like your Alan Shaw quote, and agree with it. I think people get used to music sounding a certain way on whatever gear they have, and grow to like it that way. When they hear really accurate reproduction on better gear, they sometimes are shocked and think it sounds worse. Psychoacoustics is still in its infancy, so this phenomenon is not well understood.

Anyway, if you test drive a G70, I'd be very interested in your take on the sound system. Funny, I told my wife the G70 I bought was a mid-life crisis car, and she responded "You're way past that." C'est la amor!

LOL - wife said the same to me. I actually sat in one at the mall (no dealership here but they have rented space in a outlet mall to show off their wares) and the girl there (cause I forgot my iPOD) was kind enough to plug her phone in and I spent about 30 minutes in there listening to all kinds of stuff (Classic rock mostly though) and I was very impressed with it. I thought it was very clear and articulate and when I turned it up the speakers handled the volume well with no distortion. Bass was great too - wasn't boomy and overwhelming even after I turned it up a bit with the eq.

I've had two test drives now but never had the sound system on either time as I was listening for other things (engine noise , shifting, any rattles, etc) and I made the terrible mistake of driving the 3.3T as well as the 2.0T. In the 2020 model year there's only two trims (here in Canada anyway) for the 3.3T - which is the TOTL 2.0 Prestige trim and the sport mode trim which adds an adaptive suspension and LSD for the rear. So now I'm going with the 3.3T (non sport) - I figure if I'm in a crisis I may as well go all out ;) (but sport only comes with summer tires and where I am I'd only be able to put about 3 months of the year on them ... wish I was joking).

Bastiat

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The 3.3 is addictive. If you’re looking for me to talk you out of it, you’re in the wrong place! 😁

PL718

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Had a quick preview of the Lexicon on a test drive. For just playing a local radio station it sounded great.

I’m definitely more into SQ than SPL but this maintained a nice sound quality as the dB’s increased.

TomG70t

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Does anyone know if the system will handle righ-res audio or if it is downsampled?

sbadeaux1415

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Anyone know how this setup compares to the Mark Levinson in the recent IS/RC Lexus cars? Word on the forums is the recent ML setups aren't as great as the older ones or at least the one in the LS.
Not sure about the IS. I do know the Mark Levinson in the LS 460 is in a class by itself. Like said before, even if the brand name is the same, the systems can be quite different. The Mark Levinson in the LS is rated by CNET as one of the top 8 factory audio systems. I would agree. It Has a great Bass and very rich mid’s with crystal clear highs. It’s very impressive.

There are slot of people who say Bose is overrated. This is because you can get a Bose system in a Nissan Sentra and other inexpensive vehicles. There are obviously lower end systems from Bose when compared to a Bose in a more expensive car. I had a Buick with a Bose system and it was quite good.

When I purchased the LS 460 and the Mark Levinson system, it BLEW my prior Bose out of out the water. They were not even comparable. It was like going from a four speaker stereo to a high end stereo.

Just recently I had the opportunity to listen to the Bose Panaray 34 speaker system in the Cadillac CT6 and it was everything my Mark Levinson system is and some could say a little better.

So while the brand name certainly will give you a minimum to expect, the variances in the application make huge a difference. The Lexicon in a car costing $350,000 will obviously be much more high end than the Lexicon in the $45,000 G70. I did purchase a G70 3.3 and I was not expecting much from the stereo. To my surprise it is quite good. Is it as good as the Mark Levinson in my $95,000 LS. No, not even close. Is it as good as the Mark Levinson in the $48,000 IS from Lexus, having heard both I would say they are comparable.

Bottom line, 90% of people will be very satisfied with the G70 factory unit. It truly depends on two factors. One, what is your expectations going in, and two, what Factory stereo systems have you experienced in the past.

Last edited:

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ I totally agree with this. Many different levels of the same brand. I had a HK system in a 5 series that blew away the HK in my Grand Cherokee and the HK in the Stinger.

cbert

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Has anybody has issues with a "popping" sound when listening to music through bluetooth? It seems to only happen when I have the surround on.

Ruissimo

Registered Member
Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So I went ahead and downloaded TIDAL HD (30 day free trial) and set it up in the car. It definitely sounds better than any other streaming service I’ve used in the ‘19 G70 so far, especially when playing TIDAL Masters songs (360 Reality Audio is a cool gimmick but the content just isn’t there on this platform yet, which is a shame, especially considering all the good 5.1 and 7.1 content that is out there.)

It still doesn’t sound as good as the DVD-A player in my ‘12 R-Spec though... but it’s pretty damn good.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums