Genesis G70 Lexicon Sound System

Chicagostyx

Hasn't posted much yet...
So I went ahead and downloaded TIDAL HD (30 day free trial) and set it up in the car. It definitely sounds better than any other streaming service I’ve used in the ‘19 G70 so far, especially when playing TIDAL Masters songs (360 Reality Audio is a cool gimmick but the content just isn’t there on this platform yet, which is a shame, especially considering all the good 5.1 and 7.1 content that is out there.)

It still doesn’t sound as good as the DVD-A player in my ‘12 R-Spec though... but it’s pretty damn good.

Did you download the songs to your device or stream them? I'm going to give it a try.

DocOfTheDead

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I’m a stereo guy. I have to have decent audio systems in my cars. The G70 Lexicon system is surprisingly good, especially in respect to quality and clarity. It doesn’t boom like some other systems but that’s usually a compensation for lack of mids and highs. At the Chicago auto show last year, the reps had a USB with high quality audio and we tested it in the LS500. My jaw dropped. I almost bought the car after that.

Now for the branding... the Mark Levinson in the LS is miles ahead of the Mark Levinson in my LC. The G70 is probably a little better than my LC. Same brand, vastly different systems. However, the new Lexus IS has an updated Mark Levinson system for 2021 that takes the system up two speakers to 17 and the wattage is now rated at 1,800, which is likely a very similar system to the current ES. I can’t wait to try it.

If you want a REALLY good audio system, check out the top trim Acura RDX. They designed the stereo with a Grammy winning sound engineer BEFORE the car was made and had the other engineers design around it. It’s bonkers good.

Comp625

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Are any G70 owners experiencing sibilance (tonal harshness especially noticeable with talk radio content)? I'm hoping answer is No.

Over on the G80 side, the 2018+ model has sibilance issues and is problematic with any talk content (in other words it's not a SiriusXM compression issue). Here's a link to the thread.

MrMegadeth

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I listen to NPR, Houston, on HD almost everyday and I think it's really clear and natural. I keep all the surrounding settings off.

Ruissimo

Registered Member
Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Did you download the songs to your device or stream them? I'm going to give it a try.
I stream... but I may start downloading as my service up here is atrocious. Tidal is almost unusable in the 20 mile radius around my house.

Sounds great when I have service, but it cuts out so much (and just plain doesn’t play) most of the time by me. I think I’m about ready to trade some quality for the ability to listen 100% of the time.

viciousCircle

Hasn't posted much yet...
I cannot comment...but the Bang and Olufsen in my Audi is the BEST I’ve ever heard.

Hopefully the G70 comes even close.
I'll tell y'all that the stock Audi stereo is not good (10 speaker system), and most people with audis do not have the B&G. That being said, that B&G system is ridiculously superb.

roady

In my Audi, the Bang & Olafsen system has 19 speakers and has remarkrdonable clairity...am now looking at trading my 2nd car, a Volvo V60 for a G70...

The Volvo has a Harmon Kardon...and it is not as nuanced as the B&O...I hope that the G70 is B&O like...

roady

After a couple of days...the Lexicon is nuanced...nice sound...bass may be a little light, certainly not boomy....

I prefer clarity of sound above all...no muddiness here...I like this system like I like the B & O in my Audi....

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I’m a stereo guy. I have to have decent audio systems in my cars. The G70 Lexicon system is surprisingly good, especially in respect to quality and clarity. It doesn’t boom like some other systems but that’s usually a compensation for lack of mids and highs. At the Chicago auto show last year, the reps had a USB with high quality audio and we tested it in the LS500. My jaw dropped. I almost bought the car after that.

Now for the branding... the Mark Levinson in the LS is miles ahead of the Mark Levinson in my LC. The G70 is probably a little better than my LC. Same brand, vastly different systems. However, the new Lexus IS has an updated Mark Levinson system for 2021 that takes the system up two speakers to 17 and the wattage is now rated at 1,800, which is likely a very similar system to the current ES. I can’t wait to try it.

If you want a REALLY good audio system, check out the top trim Acura RDX. They designed the stereo with a Grammy winning sound engineer BEFORE the car was made and had the other engineers design around it. It’s bonkers good.
As a side note, I get a kick out of these automotive sound system wattage ratings. I wonder if they're using something like the old "music power" or peak power ratings that were commonly used by manufacturers in the 70s to boost their numbers. Never mind that 1800 watts at 12v requires 150 amps! (I know the battery is usually at around 13.8v, but allowing for drops at that kind of current). Imagine all the extra weight of a wiring harness to the amp and speakers designed to carry those kinds of currents!
Has anyone seen the speaker wires on a car with this kind of power rating? Are they like monster cables, or much smaller (which would support the argument that the power numbers are inflated)? I suppose you could argue that with 18 speakers, it's only 100w each, assuming the power is equally divided, which it's not of course.
I think any more than about 40w of true RMS power in a closed car environment ought to be enough to make your ears bleed. Many big guitar amps that are VERY loud are only like 50w. Most good home stereos (before the advent of even lower power blue tooth speakers and the like) were rarely more than 100w RMS per channel, and they could blast you out of your house with good speakers.
The current automotive sound system power numbers just seem exaggerated and pointless to me. (We won't even get into how important it is to hear what's going on around you, outside the car, like sirens, etc...)
Sorry for the rant, haha. The curse of being a EE.

petraman

All Gas, No Brakes
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Is it just a placebo effect, or does the stereo break in after a while? I swear, my highs don't sound nearly as shrill as they used to.

Bhavie

Registered Member
Ontario
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Is it just a placebo effect, or does the stereo break in after a while? I swear, my highs don't sound nearly as shrill as they used to.
I've noticed this too. The highs used to be unbearable at times and I would manually lower the treble to compensate.

I switched back to default some time ago and haven't really noticed it since.

Kirk

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

I've noticed this too. The highs used to be unbearable at times and I would manually lower the treble to compensate.

I switched back to default some time ago and haven't really noticed it since.
Same here... the highs are not harsh like they initially were and the bass feels / sounds louder. Subs definitely break in over time, maybe the same for aluminum dome tweeters...Im not sure. I initially had bass turned way up and the mids/highs turned down. Now after 4k-5k miles Ive readjusted the EQ to have a slight bump in bass and neutral mids/highs.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums