Genesis G70 Reviews

ACCHRM

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Great, now I know i'll be looking for either the 2.0 Elite or 2.0 Sport with auto. Have to have an auto so my wife can also drive it. Now comes to pricing, Hope the Elite won't pass the 40k range for the RWD model, and as long as they have similar to Stinger rebates, I'm all in.

Stephen5242

Hasn't posted much yet...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I don't watch any of the 'shaky camera' movies. If I want to experience disorientation I could drink a case of beer or a bottle of whiskey.
In all fairness your posted video from Modern Motoring - Reviewing the 2019 Genesis G70 got me sea sick as well from the guy moving the camera around at lightning speeds. :puke: The guy reminded me of the dog in the movie UP - Squirrel chipmunk.png

Last edited:

KusaKusa

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Dang, the nurberg green looks completely different in that lighting in a good way. It reminds me of the bronze looks with the G80. Anyway, seems like the standard suspension isn't very aligned to comfort, especially with the US spec having an even firmer suspension than Canada. This worries my daily driving and interstate trip dreams :(.

For reviews, it seems like Alex on Autos is at the Maine showcase. He has amazing reviews, so look forward to the end of the embargo!

KDX

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
In all fairness your posted video from Modern Motoring - Reviewing the 2019 Genesis G70 got me sea sick as well from the guy moving the camera around at lightning speeds. :puke: The guy reminded me of the dog in the movie UP - Squirrel View attachment 14502
For what it's worth, I gave that one a thumbs down on the site.

canucklehead604

Dang, the nurberg green looks completely different in that lighting in a good way. It reminds me of the bronze looks with the G80. Anyway, seems like the standard suspension isn't very aligned to comfort, especially with the US spec having an even firmer suspension than Canada. This worries my daily driving and interstate trip dreams :(...
^ where does it say that the US spec suspension is firmer than the CAD spec? the 2.0T Sport review posted by g70manual likely doesn't reflect spring rates/damping of non-sport models. i'm sure the 2.0T Sport has the firmest available (non-adjustable) suspension spec outside of the 3.3T sport with the active suspension.

g70manual

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Dang, the nurberg green looks completely different in that lighting in a good way. It reminds me of the bronze looks with the G80.
I agree, which is why I'll be pretty upset if they don't offer nurburg green here!

the 2.0T Sport review posted by g70manual likely doesn't reflect spring rates/damping of non-sport models. i'm sure the 2.0T Sport has the firmest available (non-adjustable) suspension spec outside of the 3.3T sport with the active suspension.
To me, going with the 2.0t sport should mean that you know what you're getting into. I would think this target buyer would appreciate the firmer suspension.

Beefer

Getting familiar with the group...
I agree, which is why I'll be pretty upset if they don't offer nurburg green here!
They are offering it...but for a limited time after launch...

The 3.3T Design Edition
- will be painted in exclusive Black Forest Green and will feature a cream-colored interior with a contrasting, dark green upper instrument panel. A premium cabin air filter, embossed Genesis winged logo headrests, and a bespoke key cover complete the Design Edition package.

KusaKusa

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I actually thought the 2.0T Sport would have a sport tuned suspension as well, but looking at the US Trim announcement page, only the 3.3T models say they have the sport tuned suspension. Of course that could just be an error, but that's what I'm basing it off of for now.

I had heard there are suspension differences between countries in multiple reviews; I can guarantee that at least the US suspension is firmer than Korea's. But I can't recall for sure that the US spec would be more firm than Canada's or if I confused it for NA overall. So ignore that statement from me for now, sorry.

g70manual

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
They are offering it...but for a limited time after launch...
D'OH... I didn't equate nurburg green to black forest green! That is disappointing... what other colors will give the white calipers?

I actually thought the 2.0T Sport would have a sport tuned suspension as well, but looking at the US Trim announcement page, only the 3.3T models say they have the sport tuned suspension. Of course that could just be an error, but that's what I'm basing it off of for now.
That is surely an error. If they are giving the 2.0T sport a multi-plate LSD and a sport exhaust, it's getting a sport suspension as well. In the canadian reviews, a sport suspension was mentioned for the 2.0T

PD705

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
D'OH... I didn't equate nurburg green to black forest green! That is disappointing... what other colors will give the white calipers?

That is surely an error. If they are giving the 2.0T sport a multi-plate LSD and a sport exhaust, it's getting a sport suspension as well. In the canadian reviews, a sport suspension was mentioned for the 2.0T
No, the 2.0T Sport uses the same suspension as all the other non-adaptive-suspension G70s. Here's the thing: they all have a Sport suspension. The car was tuned that way in even the basic form. The only thing "Sport" about the 3.3T Sport's adaptive dampers is the fact that they can be made marginally firmer in Sport Mode, but in other modes it's actually a touch softer than the regular suspension. I've tested both extensively on a racing circuit and honestly, I would need to run both against a stopwatch to tell the difference because neither feels like it grips better than the other. The biggest performance drivers for this car are the engines, LSD vs. none, the 19" Michelins, and RWD vs. AWD. Honest opinion? Even though I drive a 3.3T Sport I think I might prefer the standard suspension a bit more. It's got a lovely firmness, perfect compliance, and no fiddling with modes needed.

Bottom line: think of the adaptive suspension as a way to give the car more flexibility (ride comfort when you want it, firmness when you don't), but the difference to the regular suspension is negligible and the two behave identically at anything short of "the eleventh tenth." You'll have to see for yourself of course, but for those who want to take my word for it, the Canadian and U.S. cars are tuned identically.

And to answer the question above, no, the U.S. won't get Nurburg Green (they call it Black Forest Green) outside their special design edition, at least for the time being. Canada made the decision to offer all G70 colours available globally, including the notion to position Nurburg Green more as a sporty colour than a luxury-focused one. As for the name? Selected by a certain someone I know... ;) The only other colour with Silver (not White) calipers is the Serengeti Brown.

Last edited:

g70manual

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
^ Thanks for the clarification and insight, much appreciated.

VW Canada also offers more colors for the Golf R than what is offered here. I hope that Genesis USA offers serengeti brown here but it'll probably be the usual silver, grey, black, and white with red and blue as color options...

Beefer

Not sure what thread to put this in...but has to do with performance of the 2.0T.

Looks like it's a 7+ second car 0-60 mph. Definitely too slow for me. Like...WAY to slow. My slow-ass 2013 A4 does it in about 6.4 seconds which is "ok".

I thought the numbers would be closer to the 3.3T. No way.

canucklehead604

^ thanks for that. i, too, have been keenly awaiting formal instrumented test data on the 2.0T. my focus is the 2.0T RWD Sport with 6MT, because manual. 7.4 seconds does seem slow. who knows how many passengers and how hot it was, etc...

for 255hp/260tq and ~35xxlbs, i would expect the G70 2.0T Sport 6MT trim to come in the low 6's at most...perhaps high 5's when the auto mags get to formal tests. my old '04 G35 6MT sedan had 260/260 and weighed the same 35xxlbs - and all the usual auto mags tested it at ~5.8-5.9 seconds 0-60.

of course, what the auto journalists measure and what the average driver can achieve are different things. for obvious reasons most owners do not exploit (i.e. abuse) the drivetrain to the same extent that the auto testers do. nor do we run on prepped surfaces with carefully managed tire pressures, etc. a great example was the Honda S2000. most auto mags tested 0-60 in the mid 5's, but with a crazy ~7000+rpm clutch drop. owners reported closer to the 7 second range in 'real world' times by actual owners.

Last edited:

Buckdes

Not sure what thread to put this in...but has to do with performance of the 2.0T.

Looks like it's a 7+ second car 0-60 mph. Definitely too slow for me. Like...WAY to slow. My slow-ass 2013 A4 does it in about 6.4 seconds which is "ok".

I thought the numbers would be closer to the 3.3T. No way.

It depends where this run is done, if it is in high altitude the car will easily lose 1 second or more and also depends on fuel used those would be the biggest hitters, everything else like tires and traction will be small adjustments.

That being said , this car should do 0 to 60 in 6s but i have not seen any proof and i have not heard Genesis even comment on it. Like the A4 You can buy a 330i and get closer to 5s 0 to 60

canucklehead604

No, the 2.0T Sport uses the same suspension as all the other non-adaptive-suspension G70s. Here's the thing: they all have a Sport suspension. The car was tuned that way in even the basic form. The only thing "Sport" about the 3.3T Sport's adaptive dampers is the fact that they can be made marginally firmer in Sport Mode, but in other modes it's actually a touch softer than the regular suspension. I've tested both extensively on a racing circuit and honestly, I would need to run both against a stopwatch to tell the difference because neither feels like it grips better than the other. The biggest performance drivers for this car are the engines, LSD vs. none, the 19" Michelins, and RWD vs. AWD. Honest opinion? Even though I drive a 3.3T Sport I think I might prefer the standard suspension a bit more. It's got a lovely firmness, perfect compliance, and no fiddling with modes needed.
^ great info, thank you. i'm CAD but the NA-Spec suspension info is much appreciated. i had thought the 2.0T sport had a firmer setup than the other 2.0T models. and i agree that a really good static setup is ideal for simplicity.

PD705: has there been any further mention of dropping the 6MT option after the '19 model year? i saw this in one C&D short take from a while back, but nothing else after that to suggest that the 6MT is a one-year only offering done just the pique interest and gain attention.

PD705

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ great info, thank you. i'm CAD but the NA-Spec suspension info is much appreciated. i had thought the 2.0T sport had a firmer setup than the other 2.0T models. and i agree that a really good static setup is ideal for simplicity.

PD705: has there been any further mention of dropping the 6MT option after the '19 model year? i saw this in one C&D short take from a while back, but nothing else after that to suggest that the 6MT is a one-year only offering done just the pique interest and gain attention.
It wouldn't be very economical to spend money developing a gearbox application only to drop it a year into the run. Of course, nothing is final until the line spools up and cars get built, but there is no current plan to drop the 6MT.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.