Genesis G70 Reviews

Edmguy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I wonder why the G70 is rated at 252hp when the genesis coupe had 274 back in 2013? As far as i am aware it is the same basic Theta engine. Different tune perhaps, different intake/exhaust tracts? I don’t know much about Hyundai Corp engines so maybe i’m off. I also see the 2019 Veloster N has 275hp. So the G70 is well down comparatively.

Seems a shame to give up 22hp after 5+ years. Or maybe the ratings system changed. If the 2.0T was around 280hp/290tq that would be ideal. Still a big enough jump to the 3.3T but clearly ahead of many of the German 2.0T’s. the Alfa 2.0T is 280hp/306tq which is a bit higher strung yet.
^ heck, even the sonata had 271 back in 2013-2014. Maybe they are under-rating the G70? I know back in 2004 when i got my first G35 6MT sedan they rated it at 260hp, whereas the coupe (same engine) had 280hp. This was for marketing since dyno testing showed the sedan and coupe to make the same. The coupe cost more, and Infiniti wanted to market it as a higher performing ride. Maybe Hyundai has a strategy in play, except for the cost part of it...
The ~274hp motors that Hyundai originally had in the Genesis coupe and the Sonata and Sante Fe were horrible to drive as they had so much lag and no low end torque. That is why they eventually dropped the engine to about 245hp later to improve driveability. So the G70 2.0T has slightly better numbers than the current 2.0T in the Hyundai's.

Beefer

Getting familiar with the group...
So curious...the newest press release being published and reiterated everywhere is the car does 0-60 mph in 4.5 seconds. But...they state RWD.

Normally...AWD is quicker (Audi, etc). But...does that hold true for the G70? It's heavier...but does 4-wheel grip outweigh that (no pun intended).

50jae

Hasn't posted much yet...
^ heck, even the sonata had 271 back in 2013-2014. Maybe they are under-rating the G70? I know back in 2004 when i got my first G35 6MT sedan they rated it at 260hp, whereas the coupe (same engine) had 280hp. This was for marketing since dyno testing showed the sedan and coupe to make the same. The coupe cost more, and Infiniti wanted to market it as a higher performing ride. Maybe Hyundai has a strategy in play, except for the cost part of it...
I recall they detuned the sonata 2.0 engine after the previous gen sonata probably for emission/reliability standards, but it is weird why they don't use the i30/veloster n engine in the genesis 2.0T, especially the sport trim

Edmguy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So curious...the newest press release being published and reiterated everywhere is the car does 0-60 mph in 4.5 seconds. But...they state RWD.

Normally...AWD is quicker (Audi, etc). But...does that hold true for the G70? It's heavier...but does 4-wheel grip outweigh that (no pun intended).
Yeah, AWD usually helps a bit with the 0-60 but hurts in the 1/4 mile. It will be interesting to see when we finally start getting some instrumented tests.

canucklehead604

The 2.0T in the G70 is different in a lot of ways. It has a fancy twin-scroll turbo, a much more broad powerband, and internal differences.
^ thanks, Based on your reply and others i agree it is more beneficial to have more area under the curve (i.e. broader powerband) than to be peaky - which is the worst trait for a turbo engine IMO. I get that. And i would also prefer more useable power than a bit more only accessible in certain conditions. This is a much more refined approach to turbo power delivery.

I had a friend with a 944 Turbo many years ago and that thing was brutal to drive. No power...and then wham! Instant oversteer.

Last edited:

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Yeah that last video review is high on excitement and nominal on information content.

canucklehead604

This review goes into detail on the 2.0T sport!
2019 Genesis G70 Review - AutoGuide.com News
^ not sure how i missed that article, thanks! nice to finally see some more extended discussion of the 6MT trim. looking forward to more...i just wish they stop comparing to the obvious lack of grunt compared to the 3.3T. it is certainly a hefty compromise to make but that's the only option for now. hearing something about a 2.5T being developed does give me some pause if that is forthcoming in the short term, assuming that would replace the 2.0T.

g70manual

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
^ not sure how i missed that article, thanks! nice to finally see some more extended discussion of the 6MT trim. looking forward to more...i just wish they stop comparing to the obvious lack of grunt compared to the 3.3T. it is certainly a hefty compromise to make but that's the only option for now. hearing something about a 2.5T being developed does give me some pause if that is forthcoming in the short term, assuming that would replace the 2.0T.
I do wonder if the 2.5T will offer a manual transmission. Car and driver mentioned a rumor that the manual transmission will only be offered for one year.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.