Genesis G70 Reviews

Soma

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I actually went and spec'd a RWD one just now for shits and giggles. Came in around $57-58k USD.

No extended warranty or things that I likely wouldn't pay extra for, so it wasn't a 1:1 match of everything the G70 has, but rather what I would want. Likely impossible to find one without the $1k+ leather options so realistically most cars for sale would clock in around $60-62k, I think.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
What a JOKE. Just built a USA-spec M340i X-Drive with options as close as possible to the G70 AWD Sport 3.3T (inc 3-year maint)...

SEVENTY thousand f'ing USD

Pathetic

Build code if you don't believe me...LOL...DYEBMPX4
My cousin ordered a M340i X-Drive. I believe his was specced out to either 62k or 68k USD.
The Throttle House guys recently did a review comparing all 3 German vehicles in the segment and said that they wouldn't pick the M340i cause it wasn't special enough from the 330i.

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
What a JOKE. Just built a USA-spec M340i X-Drive with options as close as possible to the G70 AWD Sport 3.3T (inc 3-year maint)...

SEVENTY thousand f'ing USD

Pathetic

Build code if you don't believe me...LOL...DYEBMPX4
For grins I just spec'd one out; MSRP for my build was 64K.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
CarAdvice (Aussie) -

2019 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport v BMW 330i M Sport v Lexus IS350 F Sport comparison

The G70 should be getting new sheetmetal in line w/ the Genesis' design language (a la the facelifted G90), but think this should be one of the rare times when an automaker should also do a more comprehensive interior upgrade.

But barring that, the G70 should, at the very least, get a larger infotainment screen (the spec of something like the Soul gets a 10.25" screen) and the 3-D digital gauge cluster (if they don't add that before the refresh, like they have done for the KDM).

As an aside, always liked Hoonie's reviews; have no idea (actually, I do - it's the Jay Leno/Jimmy Fallon effect) why his stuff isn't more popular, but someone as annoying (and clueless) as Doug D. gets so many views.

Last edited:

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
CarAdvice (Aussie) -

2019 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport v BMW 330i M Sport v Lexus IS350 F Sport comparison

[/URL]

The G70 should be getting new sheetmetal in line w/ the Genesis' design language (a la the facelifted G90), but think this should be one of the rare times when an automaker should also do a more comprehensive interior upgrade.

But barring that, the G70 should, at the very least, get a larger infotainment screen (the spec of something like the Soul gets a 10.25" screen) and the 3-D digital gauge cluster (if they don't add that before the refresh, like they have done for the KDM).

As an aside, always liked Hoonie's reviews; have no idea (actually, I do - it's the Jay Leno/Jimmy Fallon effect) why his stuff isn't more popular, but someone as annoying (and clueless) as Doug D. gets so many views.

Really?

Attachments

TOGuy242

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Toronto, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Keep in mind this is in Australia. The *relative* price difference between the G70 and BMW may be quite a bit closer there, so the price and features scoring could be different. Certainly here in Canada, and from what I've seen in the US, to get a similarly spec'd BMW is a good 20-25% more. I wouldn't agree on the ride and handling part, but I haven't driven the new 3 series ...

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
Keep in mind this is in Australia. The *relative* price difference between the G70 and BMW may be quite a bit closer there, so the price and features scoring could be different. Certainly here in Canada, and from what I've seen in the US, to get a similarly spec'd BMW is a good 20-25% more. I wouldn't agree on the ride and handling part, but I haven't driven the new 3 series ...
Well your point is very valid, so I went back and considered the price. It turns out they chose the 4 cylinder BMW and pitted it against the 6 cylinder Genesis (which still came out to roughly 2K cheaper). But then the Genesis absolutely smokes it (by more than a second in 0-60), except that relative strength is muted because as presented it's combined in a category titled "performance and economy" (we all know the 3.3T is thirsty). So rather than assume it's nefarious intent, I'll just call it a wash.

But then you get to the ride and handling conclusion which you mention, which seems to go against more than one other reviews I've read, and then it seems very fishy... Just like it's fishy we haven't seen an article like this from Car & Driver for the G70.

Last edited:

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Alrighty folks...wanna good laugh? Look at this vid. I mean absolutely NO offense to S.Korean folks here...but...either that G70 is a stretched out version...or these wankers are like 4' tall.

I mean...they look amazingly comfortable back there...and look at the legroom !!!!

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Alrighty folks...wanna good laugh? Look at this vid. I mean absolutely NO offense to S.Korean folks here...but...either that G70 is a stretched out version...or these wankers are like 4' tall.

I mean...they look amazingly comfortable back there...and look at the legroom !!!!

LOL!

Having had done some research on human physiology/heights - not surprising, as those guys look like they're in their 50's - so, for S. Koreans of around that age, avg. around 5'7" in height.

The younger generations have grown taller due to higher standards of living; the avg. height of a S Korean male under the age of 30 is 5'8.5".

In addition to increased height, body proportions have also changed; the younger generation having longer arms and legs in relation to their torso.

North Koreans used to be taller (the north having been the more prosperous, industrialized region), but now are thought to be on avg., about 2.5" shorter.

While environmental/nutritional factors play a part, so do genetics.

For instance, Japan industrialized more than half a century ahead of S. Korea and thus has experienced a higher standard of living for a considerable longer period of time, but on avg., Japanese are shorter than S. Koreans.

Among Asians, it's the NE Asians (Mongols, Koreans and Northern Chinese - who are actually Manchu and various other northern ethnic groups separate from the Han) who are the tallest (not surprising to see 6'4" and taller).

Northern Italians tend to be taller than their southern compatriots, but many Northern Italians are actually of German stock (Lombards).

Centuries ago, the Dutch used to be among the shortest in Europe due to having poorer living conditions, but are now among the tallest.

Records kept during the Napoleonic Wars showed that the common conscript was several inches shorter than
the typical aristocrat officer (Napoleon aside).

Up til around WWII, Americans were generally noticeable taller than Europeans.

Charlie Min (of Asian Petrolhead) would have issues fitting in the 2nd row as he's something like 6'2"-6'3", but he's in his 30's and spent a part of his formative years in California (so had plenty of access to American hormone-injected beef).