GV80 Reviews

rjabend

Registered Member
I'm fine thanks. We have zero clue how reliable the GV80 WILL be. I hope that it is. I'm pulling for the brand, but they have a long ways to go still. I have had zero issue wiht any of our Audi's. My wife hasn't had one problem in well over 15 years of her ownership and this is my second one. First was Q7 wiht again, zero issues. I also have a long warranty .
I believe a large owner based database to be a somewhat reliable source as opposed to an individual input. I am looking forward to trading my Q8 in.

ctsooner

Registered Member
Berlin, CT
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I believe a large owner based database to be a somewhat reliable source as opposed to an individual input. I am looking forward to trading my Q8 in.
That's fair. What issues do you have with it? I also bought a 2019, but saw the full report on the car and other than three recalls (electrical stuff I guess) that will be updated next Monday, there were no issues. Basic maintenance.

rjabend

Registered Member
That's fair. What issues do you have with it? I also bought a 2019, but saw the full report on the car and other than three recalls (electrical stuff I guess) that will be updated next Monday, there were no issues. Basic maintenance.
Pretty long list, but reported that LIDAR doesn't work properly and was eliminated on 2020 model. Other ADAS issues. Also, my door lock/unlock is unreliable, etc, etc.

Last edited:

ctsooner

Registered Member
Berlin, CT
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Sorry to hear that. I drive a fair amount have not had issues. Hope my luck is better than yours. If not, I'll sell it adn move one. I was able to get it for a lot less than market so I may not lose as much as I would have otherwise. I was told that one of the updates I'm getting next week fixes the transmission problem in the city when not in dynamic mode. I'll see.

rjabend

Registered Member
Sorry to hear that. I drive a fair amount have not had issues. Hope my luck is better than yours. If not, I'll sell it adn move one. I was able to get it for a lot less than market so I may not lose as much as I would have otherwise. I was told that one of the updates I'm getting next week fixes the transmission problem in the city when not in dynamic mode. I'll see.
I got one of the 1st ones, so hopefully you will have better luck.

ctsooner

Registered Member
Berlin, CT
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Yeah. Mine was at the end of the 2019 run. I was told to stay away from the very first production runs. I know that they had some issues early as did the GLE. Most new vehicles do.

Backslack

Registered Member
Reviews of the KDM GV80 (I6 diesel) with 22s noted a softer ride (softer than the X5 and Q7), so maybe with some recalibration, can get to a happy medium.
The KDM GV80 review by Motorgraph claimed it had a more stiff ride than a Citroen DS-7, a compact crossover. I highly doubt that it would be softer than the X5 and Q7 with their air suspensions. An X5M, maybe.

ctsooner

Registered Member
Berlin, CT
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
The KDM GV80 review by Motorgraph claimed it had a more stiff ride than a Citroen DS-7, a compact crossover. I highly doubt that it would be softer than the X5 and Q7 with their air suspensions. An X5M, maybe.
I drove the Korean spec and posted that I didn’t like it at all. Handling was not good and the ride wasn’t what I personally like even for a larger SUV. I enjoy a sportier car and this isn’t that. Maybe the GV70 will be. Most of you guys seem to want a softer, comfy SUV that is luxurious. I will go drive one when they come in as I’m curious to see how the tuning in the US is different. We all will feel differently on its characteristics. None of us will be wrong. ;)

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Not all X5s and Q7s are equipped with air suspension.

1 review on the ride is hardly definitive, and we don't know if MT even got to test the final USDM production spec.

We'll see soon enough when other reviews get published (find it a bit odd that MT got to publish a mini-review ahead of other publications, unless they got special dispensation for the SUV of the Year award).

Last edited:

AJB

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Not all X5s and Q7s are equipped with air suspension.

1 review on the ride is hardly definitive, and we don't know if MT even got to test the final USDM production spec.

We'll see soon enough when other reviews get published (find it a bit odd that MT got to publish a mini-review ahead of other publications, unless they got special dispensation for the SUV of the Year award).
Correct, we need more reviews with US Spec GV80's.
I would think their engineers would have enough common sense to make a $70,000 vehicle not ride like a rock.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Roadshow review

Even with 22s, no real complaints over Michigan's pock-marked roads.

Reviewer would pick the GV80 over the German competition and would opt for the top Prestige trim (feels special ).

Wonder if the demand for the Prestige will far outpace supply like for the SX-P trim for the Telluride?

A few more of these types of reviews and we can start dismissing what MT said about the ride quality (even if not the greatest compared to an air suspension, won't be as bad as MT made it out to be).

Here's the article version...

Going to disagree with the repeated statement about the sedans; that was the right move for the domestic market, plus the GV80 had to wait for the new/lighter RWD platform

Consumer Reports also has their first drive impressions for those who have a subscription.

Last edited:

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Talking Cars first impressions

Very luxurious, taut, agile are some of the terms used, along with being very impressed by both powertrains.

Didn't really talk about the ride quality, but if it had been poor, would have mentioned it.

Edit - CR's written report does talk about the ride quality...

Dynamics: The ride, handling, and steering are impressive, making the GV80 very enjoyable to drive. It feels tied down and connected to the road, more like the European competitors than the floatier Acura MDX and Lexus RX. The ride is taut, although it has good compliance for absorbing road imperfections even with its massive 22-inch wheels. The body feels stout and substantial, contributing to a solid overall feel.

Thinking more and more that MT got a dud, and this is good news for those looking for more of a Germanic driving experience (not exactly surprising considering Biermann's team) without having to pay quite the premium.

Last edited:

ctsooner

Registered Member
Berlin, CT
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Talking Cars first impressions

Very luxurious, taut, agile are some of the terms used, along with being very impressed by both powertrains.

Didn't really talk about the ride quality, but if it had been poor, would have mentioned it.

Edit - CR's written report does talk about the ride quality...

Dynamics: The ride, handling, and steering are impressive, making the GV80 very enjoyable to drive. It feels tied down and connected to the road, more like the European competitors than the floatier Acura MDX and Lexus RX. The ride is taut, although it has good compliance for absorbing road imperfections even with its massive 22-inch wheels. The body feels stout and substantial, contributing to a solid overall feel.

Thinking more and more that MT got a dud, and this is good news for those looking for more of a Germanic driving experience (not exactly surprising considering Biermann's team) without having to pay quite the premium.
Guys, I drove the same two cars that CR seemed to have driven. Did CR somehow get a US spec’d model? I don’t know how as they get it from Meriden Hyundai. If so, my opinion differs greatly, but it would be irrelevant since that’s not US spec. I assume MT had a US spec, but maybe not.
Did either say theirs was US spec? Those just hit the shores very recently for any review to be done. Curious more than anything. I do hope they drive sportier. I did enjoy the power from the 3.5. I get the 2.5 left me wanting big time.

Backslack

Registered Member
Another review, this one with the 20 inch wheels:

In the Normal drive mode, my GV80 testers with their 20-inch tires felt tuned for smoothness; Sport mode tightens suspension responses and adds road feel to the steering, which gave the impression of being noisier. I longed for a setting exactly halfway between the two: less wallow than Normal, but smoother than Sport. It’s far from a major drawback, but I’m betting Genesis engineers will continue to work on the GV80's suspension settings.

These reviews aren't all that consistent. It sounds like every GV80 being reviewed is still a pre-production model that hasn't been fully tweaked, even the ones Motor Trend tested.

ctsooner

Registered Member
Berlin, CT
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Another review, this one with the 20 inch wheels:

These reviews aren't all that consistent. It sounds like every GV80 being reviewed is still a pre-production model that hasn't been fully tweaked, even the ones Motor Trend tested.
This possibly answers my questions on which models they are driving. They will need to really change the settings though to get into the space that the Europeans are in as they are also very comfy to drive, but you can tighten them up nicely and even do individual settings. I assume that the GV80 will also allow an individual mode. That wasn't on the preproduction I don't believe.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums