Help: Rear back up camera problems!!

j6nguyen

Hasn't posted much yet...
To add my two cents to the thread, I had the black screen problem twice.

First time was back in 2012 when the car was still under warranty and they fixed the problem by changing the camera unit as well as the control module in the trunk.

2nd was last Saturday. I ordered a camera unit alone without control module for 82CDN $ on the internet and replaced it myself. Fixed... My advice is that if you are not under warranty you should stay away from the dealer as they sell this unit for much more than 82CDN$ and they try to sell you the conteol module with it. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, buy the part online and have them change it.

Anyone can fix the module himself if it ends up being needed. It's located on the drover side of the trunk around the back of the fuel door. You just have to remove the finition piece inside the trunk on the left side, remove the 2 nuts holding the module and unplug it.

Enjoy your Genesis 😄

Michael
My car is still under warranty. This is the 4th time it's in the shop. They have a Hyundai master technician trying to fix it as well. I still have 10k miles under the original warranty. Already replaced camera and entire navigation unit.

jag33437

Has anyone experienced a problem with the rear back up camera display? I have had my vehicle in to two different dealers in the Chicagoland area and they haven't been able to find the glitch. It was an intermittant problem with the display ocassionally getting a garbled picture while backing up. Now there is no picture at all. They have changed the camera and the control module in the trunk with no change. All the other display functions work perfectly. I'm interested if any one has experienced similar problems and what was done to resolve it. Thanks!
I have had intermittent rear camera problems since the car was about a year old. To get the camera to work, we open and then close the trunk hard. that trick will work for a few back ups and then we have to do it again.

What a way to get the camera to work!!

Our key entry has simiar prolems and opening the trunk fixes that also.

Last edited:

jag33437

I have had intermittent rear camera problems since the car was about a year old. To get the camera to work, we open and then close the trunk hard. that trick will work for a few back ups and then we have to do it again.

Our key entry has similar problems and opening the trunk fixes that also.

Last edited:

FXscalper

My car is still under warranty. This is the 4th time it's in the shop. They have a Hyundai master technician trying to fix it as well. I still have 10k miles under the original warranty. Already replaced camera and entire navigation unit.
I'd say probably a short in the wiring between the controle module and the display.

Not sure why they change the head unit of the nav system. Looking in my workshop manual the diagram seems to show that the control unit sends the camera signal directly to the display. But I never took the time to remove the display to check...

In general my hypothesis is that the camera unit is poorly designed to handle north american weather...

Let us know how they solve the problem please.

Michael

FXscalper

Our key entry has simiar prolems and opening the trunk fixes that also.
I would check that all the wiring harnesses in the trunk are hooked up properly to start.

In my case this was never an issue and opening closing the trunk never help with the camera/black screen...

Michael

Campo57

Registered Member

Our key entry has similar problems and opening the trunk fixes that also.
I had the same problems. Had the dealer replace everything and about a year ago, it started doing the black screen thing again. If I slammed the trunk, it would usually fix it. After a while, that didn't work so I went into the trunk, disconnected the connector, cleaned it with some electrical contact cleaner, put some dielectric grease on it and it's been fine every since then (over a year now).

j6nguyen

I'd say probably a short in the wiring between the controle module and the display.

Not sure why they change the head unit of the nav system. Looking in my workshop manual the diagram seems to show that the control unit sends the camera signal directly to the display. But I never took the time to remove the display to check...

In general my hypothesis is that the camera unit is poorly designed to handle north american weather...

Let us know how they solve the problem please.

Michael
They ended up replacing the camera again. It happened again, but fixed itself before I could record it on my phone.

FXscalper

Michael,

Can I please ask where you bought it from?
I need a new camera too for my 2009 MY V8.

I can't believe how cheap you paid for it.

Merci a l'avance
Did you manage to get one as cheap as mine?

I tracked the price of the one I bought and the price jumped like crazy. I bought mine on October 12 for 71.85 +tx and saw the price jump to 318.62 on October 22, then 321.27 on October 24 and now it is 350.35 since October 26. You have no idea how much I regret not buying all the units available at 71.85.

Looks like the cheapest you can get now is around 200 on other sites on the net.

Amazon jumped from the cheapest to the most expensive.

Michael

Terry T

I had the same problems. Had the dealer replace everything and about a year ago, it started doing the black screen thing again. If I slammed the trunk, it would usually fix it. After a while, that didn't work so I went into the trunk, disconnected the connector, cleaned it with some electrical contact cleaner, put some dielectric grease on it and it's been fine every since then (over a year now).
Can you tell me how to get access to the camera? I took off the trunk liner and see the camera seems to be in a sort of metal box and I can't get at it. Terry T

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.