How to: Genesis sedan Power mirror gear replacement

Rokr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
So, I picked up the gear but it was listed as left right mirror folding gear. All of the listings I found for this part looked identical for left and right mirrors, even the threading. Is this right for them not to be mirror copies of each other?

randoozee

Hasn't posted much yet...
Los Angeles
So, I picked up the gear but it was listed as left right mirror folding gear. All of the listings I found for this part looked identical for left and right mirrors, even the threading. Is this right for them not to be mirror copies of each other?
Not sure which gear you bought but this is what I got and it worked in both mirrors. We had to do some extra work to get the prongs that are inside the cap on top of the motor to go back into the side of the motor.

Attachments

• 732B85E9-E9C6-4BE4-93CF-40423E82CC1E.jpeg
    732B85E9-E9C6-4BE4-93CF-40423E82CC1E.jpeg
    404.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 26B9EF06-93F2-4EB7-94E6-C273311AB1AB.jpeg
    26B9EF06-93F2-4EB7-94E6-C273311AB1AB.jpeg
    273.2 KB · Views: 9

randoozee

Los Angeles
Not sure which gear you bought but this is what I got and it worked in both mirrors. We had to do some extra work to get the prongs that are inside the cap on top of the motor to go back into the side of the motor.
If you click on his link on page one from amazon it'll bring up the part.. I got the one on the top left..

vast

Registered Member
Raleigh NC
Was your replacement gear plastic or metal?

Gunkk

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Florida
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Mine is being done under warranty (HPP Platinum $0 deductible) along with an alternator that failed. They only replace the entire mirror which also has to be painted. HMA don't do gear-only replacement warranty work, even though it would be much cheaper for them to pay the tech labor to swap the gear.

randoozee

Los Angeles
Mine is being done under warranty (HPP Platinum $0 deductible) along with an alternator that failed. They only replace the entire mirror which also has to be painted. HMA don't do gear-only replacement warranty work, even though it would be much cheaper for them to pay the tech labor to swap the gear.
Yup! I bought one online and had it painted before the gear replacement thread was available. My after market warranty that I bought from Hyundai in my used Genny didn’t cover the mirror.

Genex

Genesis Model Type
Apologies because I am very new to this, how do I remove the push clip to get the trim off?
I use a clip removal tool and I try to always have some extra push clips on hand in case I break them (I usually break 10% of the ones I remove). Amazon has the kit below for about $17

Attachments

• Push Clip and Tool.jpg
    Push Clip and Tool.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 1

Genex

Genesis Model Type
On to the next steps.

Now you will need to remove the 4 screws holding the assembly to the cover.
View attachment 18263

When these are remove the assembly should be loose. I forgot to take a picture but go ahead and disconnect the 2 connectors from behind it. One is for the turn signal and one for the puddle light.

While loose remove this plastic cover too. It will come out from the inside
View attachment 18264

With the plastic cover now removed you can remove these 3 screws, these will release the motor assembly from the frame work. Be careful not to lose the 2 nuts from the back. To gain access to the screws maneuver the assembly out through the hole in the bottom. I forgot to put screw 2 back in, not sure if its absolutely needed but I will find out.
View attachment 18265

Once all that is done you should be able to pull the motor out from the frame and take the frame and set it aside.

Now you should be able to make access to the motor and gears. I forgot to take a picture but there is a little plastic cover to take off and move out of the way to gain access to the screws to split the case. The circuitry for the motor is also under this cover, be careful when putting it back on to make sure you get the motor plugged back in. There are 2 pins coming off the board that go into the motor itself to power it.
View attachment 18266

Once these screws are out carefully pull the casing apart to reveal the gears. replace the gear and reassemble. I would recommend some fresh lithium grease , but if you did a dumb like I did and didn't get any there should be enough in the case to put on the new gear and be fine. Just make sure to scoop some out and apply it to the new gear.
View attachment 18267

Thats it, I hope this write up helps and isn't too confusing.
I took the following pictures from my 2015 5.0 that hopefully helps with the board replacement.

Attachments

• IMG_3564.JPG
    IMG_3564.JPG
    220.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3565.JPG
    IMG_3565.JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 3

gpvirgin

Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Great write up, the pictures are very helpful... I do have one question though. For the initial trim piece that covers the tweeter and the mirror bolts, does that pull off straight out, or more of a downward? I have a '16 Equus, and the trim bit looks pretty identical, so I am thinking they probably kept the same mounting style as well. My mirror itself is loose on the mount, and I need to get into the three 10mm to snug it back up. I was out this afternoon pulling at it, but I couldn't see how the clips fastened in, and I didn't want to default into the "torque it till it smokes" mode unless that was the required approach. I got about 5-6 inches past the second triangle where the tweeter was located, but after that it just stopped moving like it was screwed in. Any advice?

Edit.... Went in this afternoon, got a little crazy with the plastic prybars, and off it popped. After looking at the inside of the trim piece, there are no additional clips, at least that I saw. I didn't take it all the way off, but it looks like it's pretty much a friction fit. The trim is shaped like a "C" on the inside, so it just grips in place. Got it loose enough to get to the mirror bolts no problem. One was missing and the other 2 were finger tight. Good times.

Last edited:

G-655343

Great write up, the pictures are very helpful... I do have one question though. For the initial trim piece that covers the tweeter and the mirror bolts, does that pull off straight out, or more of a downward? I have a '16 Equus, and the trim bit looks pretty identical, so I am thinking they probably kept the same mounting style as well. My mirror itself is loose on the mount, and I need to get into the three 10mm to snug it back up. I was out this afternoon pulling at it, but I couldn't see how the clips fastened in, and I didn't want to default into the "torque it till it smokes" mode unless that was the required approach. I got about 5-6 inches past the second triangle where the tweeter was located, but after that it just stopped moving like it was screwed in. Any advice?
Mine did not have a speaker, but it just popped out after you remove the push clip with about 5-10lbs of pressure.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums