How to: Genesis sedan Power mirror gear replacement

fastswimmerguy

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
As soon as I installed the driver side, next day the passenger side went to crap so I had to do that side too. I was cursing the designer of the plastic gear the whole time, cheap bastard.

I got the gear on eBay for less than the one I bought on Amazon.

wynnron

Genesis Model Type
So I had to change out my mirror gear and figured I would do a write up on it since it seems to be a fairly common issue as these cars age. This is for those experiencing the clicking when trying to fold/unfold power mirrors. I tried my best to get as many pictures as possible, admittedly I did miss a couple but this should help for the most part. Enjoy the windows paint art.

Thanks to @BarryG for the original post that helped me find the gear and to @badmrscary for the instruction on how to pop the glass off

Part off amazon:
Amazon.com: Bross BGE552 Side Mirror Repair Gear for Hyundai I30 Chevrolet Captiva: Automotive

Tools needed:
10mm deep socket or wrench
phillips screwdriver

step 1: Remove trim from around the window
View attachment 18252

To do so you need to first remove the little push clip at the front of the door
View attachment 18253

Once that push pin is removed you can just pull on the bottom corner and run your fingers around the edge and it should easily come off. Be careful if you have a tweeter there as there is a connection to remove.\
View attachment 18254

Once that connection is disconnected you should have that trim piece free
View attachment 18255

Once that is done you can now remove the mirror from the car itself. Start by undoing the 3 nuts using a deep well 10mm socket, or a wrench. Then undo the plug.
View attachment 18256

Once the mirror is out find yourself a nice place to work, I would recommend a rag or paper towel to put the mirror on to keep from scratching it.

Next you will need to remove the mirror itself from this assembly, I turned my mirror all the way to the left and then pried from the right side. Be careful as you don't want to break the glass. If you didn't turn the mirror before hand (like me) just plug it back in and do it.
View attachment 18257

Once the mirror is popped free there are a couple connectors on the back to undo, this doesn't have to be done, but it made the job easier once I did it because I didn't have an extra piece flopping around in my way.
View attachment 18258

Next you will need to remove the plastic trim Its just 3 phillips screws and some prying, I started on the same side as the screws. Again be careful as to not break anything
View attachment 18259

Next you need to go to the underside of the mirror, I don't have a great picture of this but you will understand when you see it. There is a cover (1) that needs to be removed to gain access to more screws(2). The screws are already removed in this photo. Im not sure the best way to remove this cover personally, I used a pick but still managed to scratch it a little bit. On the bright side its on the bottom of the mirror and no one should see it.
View attachment 18260

Once those 3 screws are removed you need to remove the one screw you just uncovered
View attachment 18262

I hit picture limit.........
Thank you sir for the excellent write up. I am befuddled however! First my car is a 2012 Genesis Sedan R Spec. After getting to the part where we remove the 3 screws that hold the motor into the frame, I could see that to get the motor free, you have to push it down through the frame (not up as I was trying first). HOWEVER, there is a cable (of sorts) that comes out of the top of the motor and goes into the back of the frame/mirror mounting plate. This connection does not appear to be a connector that can be undone. If that is the case, I cannot push the motor down through the frame opening because there is not enough slack in the cable. That means I cannot get to the screws to remove the cover plate exposing the gear. Does that make any sense? Did I miss something? Thanks again for the support and help with this.

fastswimmerguy

Genesis Model Type
Thank you sir for the excellent write up. I am befuddled however! First my car is a 2012 Genesis Sedan R Spec. After getting to the part where we remove the 3 screws that hold the motor into the frame, I could see that to get the motor free, you have to push it down through the frame (not up as I was trying first). HOWEVER, there is a cable (of sorts) that comes out of the top of the motor and goes into the back of the frame/mirror mounting plate. This connection does not appear to be a connector that can be undone. If that is the case, I cannot push the motor down through the frame opening because there is not enough slack in the cable. That means I cannot get to the screws to remove the cover plate exposing the gear. Does that make any sense? Did I miss something? Thanks again for the support and help with this.
I got stuck in the same place but after pulling up the rubber cover where the back of the mirror mounting plate meets that cable, I saw that it is a connector. From what I remember, one side has a purple clip thing that needs to be pushed in with a flat head like on most connectors. After that I gently used that flat head to wiggle the connector side to side while pulling the cable until it finally got loose and I could unplug it. Hope that helps.

G-939079

I got stuck in the same place but after pulling up the rubber cover where the back of the mirror mounting plate meets that cable, I saw that it is a connector. From what I remember, one side has a purple clip thing that needs to be pushed in with a flat head like on most connectors. After that I gently used that flat head to wiggle the connector side to side while pulling the cable until it finally got loose and I could unplug it. Hope that helps.
That helps a great deal! Thank you! I will give it a try today.

perking

Hasn't posted much yet...
Are there two gears, one metal and one plastic that require replacement? Do they come packaged or must they be ordered separately .

Thanks!

perking

Very good explanation. My gear is on order.

Gary

MRozz

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Just received the gear, will start the project tomorrow. Question, how troublesome was prying off the mirror, what holds it in place, trying to determine how much pressure to apply upon removable.
Where can I order the gears at?

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Papa D

Austin, TX
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
So I had to change out my mirror gear and figured I would do a write up on it since it seems to be a fairly common issue as these cars age. This is for those experiencing the clicking when trying to fold/unfold power mirrors. I tried my best to get as many pictures as possible, admittedly I did miss a couple but this should help for the most part. Enjoy the windows paint art.

Thanks to @BarryG for the original post that helped me find the gear and to @badmrscary for the instruction on how to pop the glass off

Part off amazon:
Amazon.com: Bross BGE552 Side Mirror Repair Gear for Hyundai I30 Chevrolet Captiva: Automotive

Tools needed:
10mm deep socket or wrench
phillips screwdriver

step 1: Remove trim from around the window
View attachment 18252

To do so you need to first remove the little push clip at the front of the door
View attachment 18253

Once that push pin is removed you can just pull on the bottom corner and run your fingers around the edge and it should easily come off. Be careful if you have a tweeter there as there is a connection to remove.\
View attachment 18254

Once that connection is disconnected you should have that trim piece free
View attachment 18255

Once that is done you can now remove the mirror from the car itself. Start by undoing the 3 nuts using a deep well 10mm socket, or a wrench. Then undo the plug.
View attachment 18256

Once the mirror is out find yourself a nice place to work, I would recommend a rag or paper towel to put the mirror on to keep from scratching it.

Next you will need to remove the mirror itself from this assembly, I turned my mirror all the way to the left and then pried from the right side. Be careful as you don't want to break the glass. If you didn't turn the mirror before hand (like me) just plug it back in and do it.
View attachment 18257

Once the mirror is popped free there are a couple connectors on the back to undo, this doesn't have to be done, but it made the job easier once I did it because I didn't have an extra piece flopping around in my way.
View attachment 18258

Next you will need to remove the plastic trim Its just 3 phillips screws and some prying, I started on the same side as the screws. Again be careful as to not break anything
View attachment 18259

Next you need to go to the underside of the mirror, I don't have a great picture of this but you will understand when you see it. There is a cover (1) that needs to be removed to gain access to more screws(2). The screws are already removed in this photo. Im not sure the best way to remove this cover personally, I used a pick but still managed to scratch it a little bit. On the bright side its on the bottom of the mirror and no one should see it.
View attachment 18260

Once those 3 screws are removed you need to remove the one screw you just uncovered
View attachment 18262

I hit picture limit.........
This post saved me about $1800. Thank you. Due to scanning the posts vs reading them thoroughly I missed a couple of critical steps that tripped me up:
1. Take pics of wired connections before removing them so that you can be sure of their orientation.
2. Remove the main wire bundle connection from behind the mirror adjustment assembly. Yes it does separate by pressing the side of the connector. You cannot remove the gear housing assembly easily without taking this step.
3. Be sure to remove the circuit board from the black rubber cap so that you can plug it back into the motor (see pic below from previous post). There are comments with explanations already in this thread so I won't repeat here.
1617307520344.png

JoeCarl

Houston
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Managed to brush up against my 2015's driver-side mirror as it was unfolding, and was so glad to find this thread. Couple of questions:

• Is there a difference between the EGE552 and BGE552 other than the maker?
• Is it pretty much this the gear that breaks? I see the big single gear EGE590 listed, but the third gear I see in the shot I've not seen mentioned.

Thanks, y'all!

Papa D

Austin, TX
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Managed to brush up against my 2015's driver-side mirror as it was unfolding, and was so glad to find this thread. Couple of questions:

• Is there a difference between the EGE552 and BGE552 other than the maker?
• Is it pretty much this the gear that breaks? I see the big single gear EGE590 listed, but the third gear I see in the shot I've not seen mentioned.

Thanks, y'all!
No difference. The other smaller gear does not appear to fail. I did not replace it but you can purchase them as a set. See previous posts for links or simply search.

JoeCarl

Houston
Genesis Model Type
Got the gear in (Thanks for the confirmation, Papa D!). But having a devil of a time getting the cover separated from the body. For those of you who did this on your 2015, what is the trick? I've tried prying from the inside and the outside, using a spudger, removing screws that hold the mount to the cover...it still barely budges. mirror assembly cover.jpg

BarryG

Registered Member
So Cal.
Genesis Model Type
Got the gear in (Thanks for the confirmation, Papa D!). But having a devil of a time getting the cover separated from the body. For those of you who did this on your 2015, what is the trick? I've tried prying from the inside and the outside, using a spudger, removing screws that hold the mount to the cover...it still barely budges. View attachment 35707
you have to pry your way around the bezel. Start from the side with screws and work your way around. Be careful opposite side has 3 tabs that like to break. I used a heavy guitar pick to pry with.

JoeCarl

Houston
Genesis Model Type
you have to pry your way around the bezel. Start from the side with screws and work your way around. Be careful opposite side has 3 tabs that like to break. I used a heavy guitar pick to pry with.
Thanks, BarryG, but it’s different between your 2012 and my 2015. The screws are not all on the same side: in the picture in my previous post (it’s an upside down-view of drivers side unit) there are two on right (outside) and one in upper left (which is corner closest to the hinge).

Last edited:

BarryG

Registered Member
So Cal.
Genesis Model Type
yup, it's kind of scary. I just replaced the shell on my mirror 2 weeks ago, and yes that part is stressful.

JoeCarl

Houston
Genesis Model Type
Partial success! Got it all buttoned up and reattached, fired up the Genesis and it folds in and out quieter than it did when new - probably because I packed it full of new white grease. But now the left-right adjust doesn't seem to work. Up-down does, as do the other electronics as far as I can tell. For now, I'll take it as a win. Thank you Hargarbl, BarryG, and everyone who contributed to this thread!

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners