How to: Genesis sedan Power mirror gear replacement

TLRam1

Hasn't posted much yet...
This box on top of the motor and gears does not appear to be on correctly. Is there something else that will hold this down? Looks like with a little vibrations and jarring it will pop off and the connection will be gone.

Attachments

• Box 1.jpeg
    Box 1.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Box 2.jpeg
    Box 2.jpeg
    230.3 KB · Views: 7
Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Papa D

Austin, TX
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Look at post #52 & #71 in this thread. You have to be sure that the board is plugged/seated correctly. You then need to ensure that the wired plug at the top of the cover also marries to its connection correctly.

TLRam1

I have the mirror on, folding works, the mirror does not move up/down/left/right. I removed the mirror and hear it clicking but no movement of the device that holds the mirror.

TLRam1

Getting back to my mirror, it looks like this is the culprit, anyone familiar with this part. When taking the mirror off it appears this piece separated.

Attachments

• Moveable.jpeg
    Moveable.jpeg
    239.1 KB · Views: 6

TLRam1

This is the mirror motor, it came apart when I pried the mirror off initially. I broke the tabs getting it off to see how to fix this.

It is held on by the center screw and three tabs around the exterior. It does not look like you can get it back together once it is apart.

I will order another one.

Attachments

• 1C50FC9E-2C2D-4F11-8BD8-E83487765F5D.jpeg
    1C50FC9E-2C2D-4F11-8BD8-E83487765F5D.jpeg
    397.3 KB · Views: 5
  • B8F1A867-534B-4BA7-995D-7F23BC5AD097.jpeg
    B8F1A867-534B-4BA7-995D-7F23BC5AD097.jpeg
    363 KB · Views: 5
  • C7FF32FA-8A16-4AEA-B324-08CC7422DBE3.jpeg
    C7FF32FA-8A16-4AEA-B324-08CC7422DBE3.jpeg
    342.8 KB · Views: 5
  • D705820D-B18F-4030-86A3-68BC51AB4657.jpeg
    D705820D-B18F-4030-86A3-68BC51AB4657.jpeg
    190.1 KB · Views: 6

Papa D

Austin, TX
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Sorry, I have no experience with tabs breaking or the innards of that part. Good luck finding the part - you may have to find a way to repair it.

TLRam1

I did order one tonight, we will see if I actually get it and how long it takes. It is from a company that had 656 google reviews, 4.5 stars.

Thanks for all you have done.

TLRam1

Since I have some time...

The computer board stayed in the cover, I didn't know it separated, the prongs were bent up so I had to bend them back down and then it fit.

The plastic cover on bottom I was unable to get a razor blade under mine. I drilled a hole and it popped right off, no paint messed up. You could drill a hole the size of a ice pick and it would pop off with an ice pick or similar. If you have difficulties I do recommend the hole.

I will fill hole with black silicone, glue a black plastic backing plate on it or put a plug/grommet in it, not on my list of priorities right now.

Attachments

• 5385213B-8C85-413E-8BCB-24C4582C120E.jpeg
    5385213B-8C85-413E-8BCB-24C4582C120E.jpeg
    304.4 KB · Views: 5

Ikmcdonald

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
On to the next steps.

Now you will need to remove the 4 screws holding the assembly to the cover.
View attachment 18263

When these are remove the assembly should be loose. I forgot to take a picture but go ahead and disconnect the 2 connectors from behind it. One is for the turn signal and one for the puddle light.

While loose remove this plastic cover too. It will come out from the inside
View attachment 18264

With the plastic cover now removed you can remove these 3 screws, these will release the motor assembly from the frame work. Be careful not to lose the 2 nuts from the back. To gain access to the screws maneuver the assembly out through the hole in the bottom. I forgot to put screw 2 back in, not sure if its absolutely needed but I will find out.
View attachment 18265

Once all that is done you should be able to pull the motor out from the frame and take the frame and set it aside.

Now you should be able to make access to the motor and gears. I forgot to take a picture but there is a little plastic cover to take off and move out of the way to gain access to the screws to split the case. The circuitry for the motor is also under this cover, be careful when putting it back on to make sure you get the motor plugged back in. There are 2 pins coming off the board that go into the motor itself to power it.
View attachment 18266

Once these screws are out carefully pull the casing apart to reveal the gears. replace the gear and reassemble. I would recommend some fresh lithium grease , but if you did a dumb like I did and didn't get any there should be enough in the case to put on the new gear and be fine. Just make sure to scoop some out and apply it to the new gear.
View attachment 18267

Thats it, I hope this write up helps and isn't too confusing.
Got it!!!
Though I had a hard time getting the cover with the control board back on the motor. The two pins wouldn't fit however I finally got it. I couldn't have done it (as easily) without your post. Thanks!

TLRam1

The new mirror motor came in, BTW the tabs on the motor is what you depress to remove, put new motor in and all works like a charm.

I found a plastic 1/4" plug at Lowes that fits the hole I drilled, there are smaller plugs available. The plastic cover is too thick for the plug to pop in securely so I added glue to the back.

Mine started after I was at a gun show and my guess is one came by and hit the mirror, only a guess. I will be folding my mirrors in now.

I rarely folded in the mirrors, just for car washes, are people hitting the mirrors and breaking the gears or is it old age, comments?

Attachments

• Cover 1.jpeg
    Cover 1.jpeg
    305.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Cover 2.jpeg
    Cover 2.jpeg
    256.3 KB · Views: 7

Seanrspec

Ocala , Fl.
OK, I must say that this was an interesting article. Thank you very much. I am in need to fix the Puddle light. Like you I went to the dealership and the said 900 I asked them if they were allowed to do crack on the job and they looked perplexed. I proceeded to explain that they must be on drugs to ask for such a high price. None the less I am going to do this myself and have been looking for a article like this.
So again thank you very much.

BarryG

Registered Member
So Cal.
Genesis Model Type
OK, I must say that this was an interesting article. Thank you very much. I am in need to fix the Puddle light. Like you I went to the dealership and the said 900 I asked them if they were allowed to do crack on the job and they looked perplexed. I proceeded to explain that they must be on drugs to ask for such a high price. None the less I am going to do this myself and have been looking for a article like this.
So again thank you very much.
Did the led light die or something?

GENNY429

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
On to the next steps.

Now you will need to remove the 4 screws holding the assembly to the cover.
View attachment 18263

When these are remove the assembly should be loose. I forgot to take a picture but go ahead and disconnect the 2 connectors from behind it. One is for the turn signal and one for the puddle light.

While loose remove this plastic cover too. It will come out from the inside
View attachment 18264

With the plastic cover now removed you can remove these 3 screws, these will release the motor assembly from the frame work. Be careful not to lose the 2 nuts from the back. To gain access to the screws maneuver the assembly out through the hole in the bottom. I forgot to put screw 2 back in, not sure if its absolutely needed but I will find out.
View attachment 18265

Once all that is done you should be able to pull the motor out from the frame and take the frame and set it aside.

Now you should be able to make access to the motor and gears. I forgot to take a picture but there is a little plastic cover to take off and move out of the way to gain access to the screws to split the case. The circuitry for the motor is also under this cover, be careful when putting it back on to make sure you get the motor plugged back in. There are 2 pins coming off the board that go into the motor itself to power it.
View attachment 18266

Once these screws are out carefully pull the casing apart to reveal the gears. replace the gear and reassemble. I would recommend some fresh lithium grease , but if you did a dumb like I did and didn't get any there should be enough in the case to put on the new gear and be fine. Just make sure to scoop some out and apply it to the new gear.
View attachment 18267

Thats it, I hope this write up helps and isn't too confusing.
You are the MAN! just did this and it works perfectly. Followed your steps or I would have never known what to do. Cost $6 for the gear and 2 hours of my time as opposed to buying a mirror assembly from Hyundai for $600. Ha!

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners