• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

I'm at a loss...

GMonee16

Registered Member
Honolulu, HI
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
September 3, 2019 Post #45

At the dealership.now, and it really looks doable to get the turbo out. Infact, it looks like the manifold bolts are easier to get to than the downpipe studs were! It's got a fair bit of stuff in the way (ie intake piping, cold charge piping, oil and coolant lines), but once those are out I should be able to get the turbo out.

I'm gonna do this myself. Calling the tow company right now.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well done Todd.
I have been waiting to resurrect this post.
Im sure the car would still be at dealership had he taken it there...SMDH!

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Drove my car for the first time today. Things are working well.

One thing I noticed is that I'm no longer hearing turbo spool when building boost @ wot. Evidently my passenger side turbo was making noise before the swap, but not my driver's side. Weird.

In dash digital boost gauge is showing boost, and it feels just as strong as before.

Perhaps my old turbo was going bad? Or maybe the passenger side just gets noisy after being broken in? Who knows. I guess time will tell. It sounded normal to me prior to all this.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

JeremyTD

Registered Member
Indianapolis
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

One thing I noticed is that I'm no longer hearing turbo spool when building boost @ wot. Evidently my passenger side turbo was making noise before the swap, but not my driver's side. Weird.

In dash digital boost gauge is showing boost, and it feels just as strong as before.

Perhaps my old turbo was going bad? Or maybe the passenger side just gets noisy after being broken in? Who knows. I guess time will tell. It sounded normal to me prior to all this.

Attachments

50jae

Registered Member
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Awesome, you really pulled this one through! Happy for you.

Now I'm wondering if you are right about the spooling sound indicating the turbo is going bad. Mine started off quiet but it's gotten audible after 4 months in and I always hear it now at WOT. Seeing your thread, I pray I never have to let the dealer touch my car's turbocharger...

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Maybe time for earplugs? You're going to be "hearing" things for a while 😉 I know I would be. It's inevitable, but have confidence in your work. You did everything by the book.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Awesome, you really pulled this one through! Happy for you.

Now I'm wondering if you are right about the spooling sound indicating the turbo is going bad. Mine started off quiet but it's gotten audible after 4 months in and I always hear it now at WOT. Seeing your thread, I pray I never have to let the dealer touch my car's turbocharger...

Actually, now that I think about it - when I started working in my car I noticed that the airbox-to-turbo intake elbow was disconnected from the turbo. I didn't even notice it until I was taking things apart... Maybe it had popped off at some point when I started hearing the turbo?

If you're currently hearing your turbo(s) spool inside the car, perhaps take a close look at the intake piping. Maybe this is a common problem?

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Actually, now that I think about it - when I started working in my car I noticed that the airbox-to-turbo intake elbow was disconnected from the turbo. I didn't even notice it until I was taking things apart... Maybe it had popped off at some point when I started hearing the turbo?

If you're currently hearing your turbo(s) spool inside the car, perhaps take a close look at the intake piping. Maybe this is a common problem?
Wow, that would do it. So it wasn't being filtered?

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Wow, that would do it. So it wasn't being filtered?
Correct.

I think the old turbo is actually fine. But, I think since the hose was disconnected you could just actually hear the turbo much more loudly.

That said, if you can hear your turbos, it wouldn't hurt to just take a quick peek under the hood and make sure everything is connected!

Tonester

SUSTAINING MEMBER
San Francisco, CA - Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Congrats to you Todd for muscling your way though this tough time, you certainly rose to the challenge and it was a great example of patience and perseverance! It was also great to see all the support from many forum members as the drama unfolded; a real sense of community here! And you documented the process with pics and explanations to help someone down the road, bravo!

I know you are a bit disheartened with all of this, but I hope you stick with your beautiful silver G70 for a while now that you've had this bonding experience! I can't imagine how you felt during all this, but hoping you can rediscover your love for this car. :love:

tarhoosier

Registered Member
Charlotte
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I waited a reasonable time to post this comment but one element that has surprised me pleasantly that no Check Engine light illuminated after all of this. If I have my fuel cap slightly askew that can trigger it yet Todd did this, fuel and air lines and what not, and nothing. He has an excellent car.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I waited a reasonable time to post this comment but one element that has surprised me pleasantly that no Check Engine light illuminated after all of this. If I have my fuel cap slightly askew that can trigger it yet Todd did this, fuel and air lines and what not, and nothing. He has an excellent car.
It was a pleasant surprise for me as well! Haha.

Makes me think of my very first engine swap. Car wouldn't start. Spent hours hunting down what was causing the CEL(s), and spent the next few days trying to figure out the new weird noises I was hearing. Haha.

I keep much better track of what I've done when it comes to cars, nowadays.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums