• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

I'm at a loss...

DSXMachina

Just passing through.
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Nashua NH
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Next I installed the passenger side strut tower brace, make sure you torque it down properly (20lb-ft)...
View attachment 23613

And then the front bumper/radiator top cover piece by putting in all the plastic rivets....
View attachment 23614

NOW - time to get ready to refill the coolant. First thing I needed to do was find the coolant bleeder hose. The FSM states that it's on the front, top of the engine block, underneath the wiring harness and under some insulation foam. I had to remove some of the wiring harness from the top of the block to make enough room to move it out of the way, take a look..

First, unplug and unclip the top of the engine wiring harness from the passenger side bank, as seen here...
View attachment 23615
View attachment 23616
View attachment 23617

Next, unbolt the plastic harness stay/guide/bracket from the top of the block so you can move it out of the way...
View attachment 23618
View attachment 23619

Now you can lift the stay/guide/bracket up, and remove the foam insulation block to reveal the bleeder hose...

There it is in all its glory...
View attachment 23620

Pop that little guy off to get ready to refill...
View attachment 23621

Don't forget the rags!
View attachment 23622
Nice work! Seems like a strange place to put a coolant bleeder! 🙄

LandOfConfusion

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
All modern reality series have a reveal at the end. I hope Todd's is that he's the technician at my local Genesis dealership.
I think, in the final episode, we'll discover that his G70 is a recovering heroin addict who relapsed twice before discovering, on Maury Povich, that he really is the father of her child. And, the G70 comes out as transgender and is now known as Ryleigh. Ryleigh is moving to California because she finally discovered her singing talent and aspires to compete on The Voice. But first, she has to reveal all of this to @Toddasaurus .

Hey, it's 2019. C'mon.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Todd, that speckled stuff on the brass throttle butterfly isn't overspray. It's condensed hydrocarbons and 'tars' , byproducts of the combustion process. The butterfly is always 'cool' when the engine is running and guck condenses out of the airstream. It builds to a point where it begins to affect idle quality. At that point we do a "throttle body cleaning" using bottle brushes and throttle body cleaner to make everything nice and shiny again.
You don't have near enough guck (technical term) to worry about yet.
When you start the engine (WITH THE COOLING SYSTEM CAP ON) let it run until your temp indicator is in the normal range, maybe let the fan come on one time. Then shut the engine off and refill the radiator and coolant bottle AFTER the engine cools down. You'll then be all set, no air.
Always squeeze your hoses to ensure they are soft before opening the cooling system. You don't want "Old Faithful" in your garage!
Nice, I didn't know that about the gunk in the throttle body... I just figured it was leftover bits of something from the assembly? This is good to know, probably something worth checking and cleaning every 10k miles or so.

I was planning on squeezing out as much air as I can tonight, then I'll start it up just like you said and get the air out the old fashioned way (again, like you said, let the coolant cycle through) then I'll let it cool off, and tomorrow I'll pop the bleeder hose again and top it off.

Hopefully I'll be driving this damn car tomorrow. Finally.

GMonee16

Registered Member
Honolulu, HI
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Nice, I didn't know that about the gunk in the throttle body... I just figured it was leftover bits of something from the assembly? This is good to know, probably something worth checking and cleaning every 10k miles or so.

I was planning on squeezing out as much air as I can tonight, then I'll start it up just like you said and get the air out the old fashioned way (again, like you said, let the coolant cycle through) then I'll let it cool off, and tomorrow I'll pop the bleeder hose again and top it off.

I better be driving...this waiting thing is getting old! JK!

tarhoosier

Registered Member
Charlotte
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

My view? Best thing was when you had to wait for the turbo and spent a week away from the thing. (Yes, I know. You were re-reading the manual and checking parts, and it was in your dreams)

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Sweet!!! But why is only one exhaust working? JK
Haha! You take that back!

Fantastic work Todd. Now go drive it like you stole it and your worries will be gone.

BTW love the Retro Oregon plate (the front one is in the trunk right?😉)

Yupparoo! 2nd plate is in the trunk - even have the plate mount in there too. 😉

tarhoosier

Registered Member
Charlotte
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
September 3, 2019 Post #45

At the dealership.now, and it really looks doable to get the turbo out. Infact, it looks like the manifold bolts are easier to get to than the downpipe studs were! It's got a fair bit of stuff in the way (ie intake piping, cold charge piping, oil and coolant lines), but once those are out I should be able to get the turbo out.

I'm gonna do this myself. Calling the tow company right now.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well done Todd.
I have been waiting to resurrect this post.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums