Lexicon amp location? - need remote wire for an aftermarket amp

Gambler

Registered Member
Baltimore
Are you guys just using a High-Low line converter, or did you tap into the line level inputs? (If so, could you provide more info?)

nearwater

Been here awhile...
MI
Are you guys just using a High-Low line converter, or did you tap into the line level inputs? (If so, could you provide more info?)

I tapped into the Sub's speaker lines and fed it through the speaker level input tap of the amplifier.
If we had the pin layouts of the amplifier's harness/connector, we could splice out a line level and add a RCA connector to it.

Dan

nearwater

Been here awhile...
MI
You know I'll be laughing:D but this is all about the sound quality right?? The box can be ugly.

:D True.

Dan

nearwater

Been here awhile...
MI
Installed the sub/amp last night.
The overwhelming bass was puddling the whole system and wasn't too happy with it initially.
Today, I turned the gain down quite a bit and played around with the amp settings and now it blends in pretty good.
It's definitely hitting the sub bass harder.

The sub is not an SQ sub, nor is the dinky amp I have, so I'll see if I want to invest in some decent sub/amp combo in the future.
So far, achieved the goal I was looking for; more sub bass punch.

BTW, the sub box is moving around quite a bit, and I have yet to come up with a good solution to anchor it down.
Any ideas?

Dan

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota
I use 2 adjustable bungee cords and hook the cords up to the metal clips which are for the cargo net. One cord goes over the top and the other goes in front below the sub.

Never moves now.

nearwater

Been here awhile...
MI
I use 2 adjustable bungee cords and hook the cords up to the metal clips which are for the cargo net. One cord goes over the top and the other goes in front below the sub.

Never moves now.

I was hoping for more of a subtle solution, but don't feel like drilling into the trunk either.
I guess that's the easiest way to tie it down.
Thanks for the tip.
Did you also get yours from Target?

Dan

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota
I was hoping for more of a subtle solution, but don't feel like drilling into the trunk either.
I guess that's the easiest way to tie it down.
Thanks for the tip.
Did you also get yours from Target?

Dan

Yup, the 2 cords I bought from Target. They came in a little plastic box and were around $5 I think.

Gambler

Registered Member
Baltimore
What is the benefit of using a bungee cord, wouldn't static rope of some kind be better for holding it in place?

nearwater

Been here awhile...
MI
Yup, the 2 cords I bought from Target. They came in a little plastic box and were around $5 I think.
Thanks again for your help, Scott. :)
I'll go check it out at Target this weekend.

What is the benefit of using a bungee cord, wouldn't static rope of some kind be better for holding it in place?
Well, the bungee cord has tension of itself, so fastening would be easier.
Static rope would be harder to tighten to exact length which could result in having slack, moving around, etc.

Dan

nearwater

Been here awhile...
MI
I've always had a box in the back and it always bothered me.
I've solved that problem this way

Nice setup!
Did you get a separate carpet for the floor and cut it to fit the trunk, or is it the stock one?

I personally liked the rubber trunk mat that came with the car and wanted to keep it.
Plus, you lose the spare tire.
I've had cars without spares and admit that you rarely get a flat, but still it gives you peace of mind to keep it, IMO.

Dan

ASHDUMP

Registered Member
@nearwater

I have a standard size toolbox that is dedicated to the trunk. I have it anchored by Velcro. I went to walmart and bought some Velcro squares (2"x4") and put the soft side on the rubber cargo tray and the hard side on the bottom of the tool box. It came with 4 squares but I only used 1.

The tool box never comes out so its not a pain in the ass to take it out every now and again... it works really good and you don't see the velcro at all. Just make sure to clean the rubber mat area first to get any oils off it. The velcro I bought was pretty heavy duty. It would work perfect for your sub.

nearwater

Been here awhile...
MI
@nearwater

I have a standard size toolbox that is dedicated to the trunk. I have it anchored by Velcro. I went to walmart and bought some Velcro squares (2"x4") and put the soft side on the rubber cargo tray and the hard side on the bottom of the tool box. It came with 4 squares but I only used 1.

The tool box never comes out so its not a pain in the ass to take it out every now and again... it works really good and you don't see the velcro at all. Just make sure to clean the rubber mat area first to get any oils off it. The velcro I bought was pretty heavy duty. It would work perfect for your sub.

Thanks for the idea, ASHDUMP.
I thought about using velcro, but thought that it wasn't going to stick to the mat since it was so slick.

I already bought the bungee cords and fastened it down, but if it doesn't work out too great, I'll stick some velcros to it.
Thanks,

Dan

QCTLG

Registered Member
Montreal, Canada
Nice setup!
Did you get a separate carpet for the floor and cut it to fit the trunk, or is it the stock one?

Yes, its just plain speaker carpet

I personally liked the rubber trunk mat that came with the car and wanted to keep it.
Plus, you lose the spare tire.

Correct, I loose the spare tire...dumb idea but never got a flat and if I do I'm ready to pay the price.

I've had cars without spares and admit that you rarely get a flat, but still it gives you peace of mind to keep it, IMO.

Like I said...dumb idea but love that I do not loose any space. + the advantage is that it rumbles way more than just a box.

maxmar04

Been here awhile...
Pretty sure it's in the trunk...

does this go for the 3.6 tech?

nearwater

Been here awhile...
MI
does this go for the 3.6 tech?

It's missing 3 tweeters that are included with the tech package, but overall, it shows where the modules and speakers are located.
What are you looking for in the diagram?

Dan

msw0701

Hasn't posted much yet...
Hello there,
I am new to this forum so pardon me/redirect me if this question is already asked. I am trying to install a aftermarket sub/amp. The only problem is facing is remote wire and signal for input to amp. I tried to access the link posted above but that link is expired/not working. Can you please post the images again or tell me how you did it?

devin722

The amp is behind the battery, below the passenger side hinge for the trunk. It's inside the liner of the trunk. I sent you a PM, with the attachment on how to access it, cheers.

i also would like to know how to access amp
2011 4.6 sedan

JW2013GENSEDAN

Thanks for your help, TJPark and Gambler! :)

@ TJPark:
Yeah, I also heard from someone that the amp is located in the trunk, but couldn't figure out where the heck it's at.
Looking at the diagram, it looks like it's closer to the passenger's side wheel well, but there's nothing that gives me access to that kind of location.
There was a styrofoam insulation closer to the rear seats and when I removed it, there was a black metal shield with tons of bolt on it.
I started to remove the first bolt, but thought it could be the fuel tank, so I decided not to touch it.

@ Gambler:

Thanks for the tip. The fuse box is a popular location, but figured it would be more neat to pull something from the trunk area since the cabin and the trunk area is pretty well divided with a metal brace/fixture that's very hard to get through.
I'll look more carefully for gaps and openings between the seat back & trunk space.
But boy, removing the rear seats are a pain.

Dan

Hi, I have a 2013 3.8 sedan and I got a remote lead off of the rear left led running lights (3 little LED's). The lead works very similar to the accessory lead and it is much easier to get to - I just spliced the wire and ran a remote lead to my amp. It is actually kind of neat because if you ever want to turn the amp off (for whatever reason) - you can turn the lights off and the amp will turn off. Most of the time, these lights are on, even if the main headlights are off in the daytime. This was a great solution for me and quite simple too.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums