First Generation OFFICIAL TUNE FOR 1st Gen 5.0's

Roc

Been here awhile...
Md
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Problem is that 2Black was ordering one over a month ago from BTR and was going to dyno it. Hasn't been back on line since to my knowledge. Also BTR told me they had sorry results of only 6-15 hp gain and then some @ 25 hp gains reported. Not too reliable, but did offer a full refund if not satisfied. I wanted to find some one that actually has their own test results, not the BTR results. If it is only a few HP gains then it was no better than what LAP found when they put theirs on my '13 and dyno'd it. Only decent thing was a smooth out of the air/fuel ratios near top end, but definitely not worth the money. LAP agreed. The dyno also showed that only 4-5 hp gains with K & Ns, but no better than with a new clean filter. Almost same without any filter. 4-5 hp is unnoticable by seat of pants and timing unless you count extra noise as something.

84FordMan

Registered Member
NC
Problem is that 2Black was ordering one over a month ago from BTR and was going to dyno it. Hasn't been back on line since to my knowledge. Also BTR told me they had sorry results of only 6-15 hp gain and then some @ 25 hp gains reported. Not too reliable, but did offer a full refund if not satisfied. I wanted to find some one that actually has their own test results, not the BTR results. If it is only a few HP gains then it was no better than what LAP found when they put theirs on my '13 and dyno'd it. Only decent thing was a smooth out of the air/fuel ratios near top end, but definitely not worth the money. LAP agreed. The dyno also showed that only 4-5 hp gains with K & Ns, but no better than with a new clean filter. Almost same without any filter. 4-5 hp is unnoticable by seat of pants and timing unless you count extra noise as something.
It was the same story when the 4.6 tune came out, the first two to receive the tune had R2C intakes which choked the engine at the top end, resulting in only a small peak gain. Then others, like Tailwalker, myself and more, that got tuned with a custom intake using a much larger filter than R2C uses, or using the factory air box, which then posted higher peak numbers (Literally 14 WHP more than the others) and a much different powerband above 5,500 RPM.

NSXNEXT

Registered Member
It was the same story when the 4.6 tune came out, the first two to receive the tune had R2C intakes which choked the engine at the top end, resulting in only a small peak gain. Then others, like Tailwalker, myself and more, that got tuned with a custom intake using a much larger filter than R2C uses, or using the factory air box, which then posted higher peak numbers (Literally 14 WHP more than the others) and a much different powerband above 5,500 RPM.
What filter did you use with your custom intake?

84FordMan

Registered Member
NC
What filter did you use with your custom intake?
You would have to ask Tailwalker if he has a part number for what he used, initially I used a conical 4" inlet K&N that was 5" to 5.5" at the base and tapered to 3" at the end, about 14" long. That was nowhere near large enough. Tailwalker's had to be at least 6 or 7" at the base and 4 to 5" at the end, it was bigger than my head, and I'm Irish.

I ended up going back to the factory (modded) air box with my 4" elbow between it and the throttle body and gained back to what Tailwalker had.

A panel air filter with it's deep pleats and square design are far more efficient at creating filter surface area when compared to physical dimensions, than a cone/conical air filter. An oval filter (Like you see Corvette guys run) is about the most efficient of the open element design.

Rey

Registered Member
Salem, OR
The intake system for the 4.6 and 5.0 V8s is the same for all models, including Equus up until the new chassis in 2015. The new chassis features two separate air filter boxes, a recognition by Hyundai that the original system is very restrictive. The original system draws ambient air from the front of the radiator up and then over and down to the air box, which contains the filter element. There are at least five 90 degree turns in the intake tract. In addition the air filter element itself is comparatively small. The benefit of all this restriction is almost no intake noise. There is the famous air box flap inside the air box, which can be easily removed for a somewhat more direct air path. This is a simple no-cost mod.

The next mod in a performance evolution is to change out the entire air box for a stand-alone cone air filter. From time to time vendors promote so-called “cold air intake systems”, usually costing several hundred dollars. These systems consist simply of a cone air filter and a provided shiny metal intake tube from the air filter to the motor. They are not true “cold air intake systems”. A cold air intake system typically has a “dam” built around the new cone air filter, which dam not only prevents hot engine air from the intake, but also admits only outside ambient air into the system. To date, no one has offered for sale such a cold air “dam”.

The shiny metal aftermarket intake tube between air filter and motor is mostly cosmetic as the original OEM intake tube is not at all restrictive. In addition, the original OEM intake tube has a secondary air filter on the 5.0, which offers some performance gain. So, I retained the OEM intake tube. It costs nothing to do this.

Size really matters with the air filter. I wanted the largest cone filter I could find which was: K&N RF-1040 Universal Clamp-On Air Filter: Oval Straight; 4 in (102 mm) Flange ID; 7.5 in (191 mm) Height; 9 in x 5.75 in (229 mm x 146 mm) Base; 7 in x 4.5 in (178 mm x 114 mm) Top. K&N was an easy choice for me. K&N has been manufactured for decades now. It is used as an OEM filter in high performance options.
There are many competitors, some of which are cheap imitations. The K&N RF-1040 costs about $60 at Amazon.

You need a 4” o.d. metal connecting tube between the K&N and the OEM inlet (from the OEM air box). Tubing can be found everywhere. Spectre Performance #9719 is an example with a 6” length. This 4” tubing fits the K&N perfectly, but is a bit too large for the OEM intake. I used a tin snips and cut a series of 1.5” cuts into the OEM intake. It then accepts the 4” tubing. I wrapped the connection with black Gorilla tape and then a hose clamp. The mod is virtually invisible.

There is a loud intake noise now on WOT (wide open throttle), but at cruise/light throttle it is just as quiet as before. My “seat-of-pants dyno” claims a material power increase.

Roc

Been here awhile...
Md
Genesis Model Type
Is there anyone out there that has tried the new BTR 5.0 ECU upgrade and actually has dyno comparison results over the standard system? Very quite out there on this.

Turboba6

Registered Member
Looks like No Big Results, I have Yet to see a 12Sec 1/4 out of a Genesis/Equus, I would be Happy too if they would come out with a Supercharger
for the Tau 5.0, but looks like that is Dead too....Shame!!

Roc

Been here awhile...
Md
Genesis Model Type
Need another 100+ rwhp to get near that! NOS maybe able to do it for less than $600 for those that want to surprise the big boys..

Parasurfer1979

Getting familiar with the group...
Wilmington, NC
Genesis Model Type
Hi,

I'm a new member here. I bought a 2012 4.6.Id like to do 3000k hid's in the fogs. replace all non-LED lights in the car, rear lip spoiler, oem mud-flaps, ECU upgrade, and sunroof wind deflector. Just simple mods to add some more class... May I see pix of your car? I'm waiting on my hands controls to be installed so i can drive it... I just have ridden in it...lol. Thanks for your help.

66nexus

Been here awhile...
Hi,

I'm a new member here. I bought a 2012 4.6.Id like to do 3000k hid's in the fogs. replace all non-LED lights in the car, rear lip spoiler, oem mud-flaps, ECU upgrade, and sunroof wind deflector. Just simple mods to add some more class... May I see pix of your car? I'm waiting on my hands controls to be installed so i can drive it... I just have ridden in it...lol. Thanks for your help.
You'll have to browse through the forum for the non-tuning related items, but for the ECU upgrade there's some pretty good info in this thread. There are also a few Youtube videos of dyno runs for the 4.6, notably Tailwalker who has the BTR tune. Good luck.

Parasurfer1979

Getting familiar with the group...
Wilmington, NC
Genesis Model Type
You'll have to browse through the forum for the non-tuning related items, but for the ECU upgrade there's some pretty good info in this thread. There are also a few Youtube videos of dyno runs for the 4.6, notably Tailwalker who has the BTR tune. Good luck.
Des,

I have a set of the mudguards somewhere. Hold off on buying.

That is awesome. Thank you so much for that. Let me know how much you want. Ill have you drive my car for a ride up I-40 so I can feel the true power then go to ATM swap cars and ride in yours to feel the difference. I haven't felt what I really bought but the Genesis 4.6 power is a little more than 3 times the power of my Honda FIT Sport had. It did 0-60 in 9.5 sec. Nexus could you link me to those YouTube videos? TailWalker are they all 4? I think I'm going to paint them the color of my car to add a tad more luxury. TY TY TY so much. I was getting ready to buy them on Amazon. I just happened to take at look on the forum again myself and there was a message in a thread from you. This is why I love automotive forum but thats ok...lol. Again Thanks guys. Walker just s, The community takes care of each other when and if they can. My momma begged me to stop modding cars. Even after my severe accident, I cant hep it. I modify hers but that's ok...lol. Let me know a time you can swing by bro. Call/text me 910-479-5889. I'm usually in the air or surfing If the surf is good.

- - - Updated - - -

Des,

I have a set of the mudguards somewhere. Hold off on buying.

That is awesome. Thank you so much for that. Let me know how much you want. Ill have you drive my car for a ride up I-40 so I can feel the true power then go to ATM swap cars and ride in yours to feel the difference. I haven't felt what I really bought but the Genesis 4.6 power is a little more than 3 times the power of my Honda FIT Sport had. It did 0-60 in 9.5 sec. Nexus could you link me to those YouTube videos? TailWalker are they all 4? I think I'm going to paint them the color of my car to add a tad more luxury. TY TY TY so much. I was getting ready to buy them on Amazon. I just happened to take at look on the forum again myself and there was a message in a thread from you. This is why I love automotive forum but thats ok...lol. Again Thanks guys. Walker just s, The community takes care of each other when and if they can. My momma begged me to stop modding cars. Even after my severe accident, I cant hep it. I modify hers but that's ok...lol. Let me know a time you can swing by bro. Call/text me 910-479-5889. I'm usually in the air or surfing If the surf is good.

Roc

Been here awhile...
Md
Genesis Model Type
i came across a You Tube study "Showing Premium gas isn't always worth it" by Engineering Explained. However it has dyno tests of the V8 Caddy and the Ford Mustang, which has a somewhat similar designed 5.0 as the Genesis. The results are actually positive if you are looking for performance rather than cost. The Mustang shows about 2-4% greater rwhp & torque depending on RPM and about 2% at top end. This was not a test that they dogged the cars first so I believe the car computer did not set to maximum advance settings within it's profile. What this means to me, is when you accept a Tune you should exercise your car with premium then really check your dyno test first before putting in the tune. This will really show any difference. If you go directly from regular to tune with premium you are going to fool yourself as to the actual performance the tune provided. This maybe why some tune results show respectable gains vs mimimual gains of just a few rwhp.

84FordMan

Registered Member
NC
That is the case of whether your vehicle states "Premium Unleaded Recommended" or "Premium Unleaded Required". Modern OBD-II vehicles with auto-ranging knock sensors can detect when a lower grade (or higher) of gasoline is used (By registering the frequency of knocks) and adjust timing to compensate, this is the group that "Recommends". While the group that "Requires" has the same knock sensors, it does not have enough adjustability to compensate and will do long term damage.

Roc

Been here awhile...
Md
Genesis Model Type
What I was showing was that Genesis 5.0 can use 87 octane and does not " require premium fuel", just as the Mustang and therefore the ECU has a wider discretion as the you tube tests suggests when higher octane is used. In Ca. I believe they are stuck with 91 octane at the pumps vs 93 in my area. This video suggests that if testing a tune you got to be consistent in your fuel octane used as well as other factors.

Tailwalker

Registered Member
ILM, NC
4.6 tune has been available for a year and a half. There is an tune event scheduled for Raleigh in March if you would like to join. There is a thread in the performance sub-forum with the link. 50% deposit due by the end of next week. If we cannot get the deposits in, there will be no event.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.