First Generation OFFICIAL TUNE FOR 1st Gen 5.0's

corneliusw

Hasn't posted much yet...
What are the steps for replacing your ECU for an upgrade? Is it a simple plug and play after you write the VIN to it using a scanner because if so then that's a 10 minute job, or is it much more technical like a Honda where the ECU is tied to power key and anti-theft system? Has anyone done this themselves? Not much information out there for experiences installing in sedan.

Roc

Been here awhile...
A Little late, but the only tune shop that has issued a 5.0 tune is BTR. They have step by step instructions. BTR wants to sell u the ECU & TCU @ $1600. I did a LAP3 ECU tune test from Korea( not great results) months ago, though it was simple to install. Takes about 10 minutes to swap out the ECU. They decided it was not worth the effort for the resulting performance and such a small audience considering all the turbos that want aggressive tunes. Think you may want both the ECU and TCU to get max performance. Carefully read the literature on their TCU product before buying. BTR also told me they would guarantee full refund if not satisfied with their products. See my above earlier comments about things to consider before trying a dyno pull. Others on site may want to give their penny's worth as well.

Tailwalker

Registered Member
Not enough people signed up, so it was cancelled. They needed pre-payment to ensure the tuner could be brought in. This was explained on the linked sign up form. To my knowledge, I was the only sedan.

2015genesisNewbie

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Hey Roc, and yeah NOS is a bit too gay for me. Sounds fun and all, maybe will consider it.. Just the fact, you have to refill your can of nitous every so often, idk.. Rather just get something more real like a supercharger, you know? I am in contact with Bisimoto, and I bought factory cams as they requested, and they are gonna get me custom cams!! So Roc E Road, I will assure you without NOS, I will be getting close if not 100whp gain. I'm thinking 40 from the custom cams, and 20 from the tune. 10 for CAI, 10 for my port and polish, 10 for 2ndary cat deletes and maybe 6rwhp for my exhaust cutots??. So minimum is 86rwhp in my head want more, but don't wan to get my hopes up.

- - - Updated - - -

And Roc. Idk if that's true about the speed limiter please go back to my first post and see what he said about removing the "speed limiter" I am pretty sure it is possible. I didn't speak to David, spoke to whoever runs their facebook page.
How much power you looking at?

Roc

Been here awhile...
How much power you looking at?
I never heard more from Dreamsy. I think maybe he ran into usual problems with a one off. Would like to hear if he was able to get it all together. I really wish him luck. He's put a lot of time into it. Other guys still struggling to try to supercharge/turbo, but don't see anything yet. With out mods to the ECU, good luck getting it altogether to run right. BTR still hasn't ironed out all the little nick and picks for their $1500 ECU, etc. But now with the Stinger ,et al, out there, you can already get more hp with kits already available for them and more power than all the planned engine mods for the 5.0. It's done as far as I am concerned. If you want to smoke newer cars you must go NOS. I've been told the engine can easily take 100 shot without changing anything. As I said, with my simple mods, I can do damage to most cars ( non special designated ones) up to 2015/6, but forget the newest ones with the high hp that was a dream just a few years ago. We now have an old vehicle that is unsupported and with few really hot speed buffs looking for more power. Most want to discuss nav equip, tail lights that don't work, cooling seat problems, window tinting, etc. Read the site discussing the simple addition of rigid collars, goes on and on for such a simple good thing to add. As far as top end, I got and indicated 155 but would never do it again. Amazingly, Hyundia reported that the 5.0 has the same Corvette Coefficient of drag of .26!

2015genesisNewbie

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I never heard more from Dreamsy. I think maybe he ran into usual problems with a one off. Would like to hear if he was able to get it all together. I really wish him luck. He's put a lot of time into it. Other guys still struggling to try to supercharge/turbo, but don't see anything yet. With out mods to the ECU, good luck getting it altogether to run right. BTR still hasn't ironed out all the little nick and picks for their $1500 ECU, etc. But now with the Stinger ,et al, out there, you can already get more hp with kits already available for them and more power than all the planned engine mods for the 5.0. It's done as far as I am concerned. If you want to smoke newer cars you must go NOS. I've been told the engine can easily take 100 shot without changing anything. As I said, with my simple mods, I can do damage to most cars ( non special designated ones) up to 2015/6, but forget the newest ones with the high hp that was a dream just a few years ago. We now have an old vehicle that is unsupported and with few really hot speed buffs looking for more power. Most want to discuss nav equip, tail lights that don't work, cooling seat problems, window tinting, etc. Read the site discussing the simple addition of rigid collars, goes on and on for such a simple good thing to add. As far as top end, I got and indicated 155 but would never do it again. Amazingly, Hyundia reported that the 5.0 has the same Corvette Coefficient of drag of .26!
after reading quite a few of your posts I must admit you really got my hopes up to getting a NOS kit. However after a lot of digging and research and speaking to techs at Holley, Summit, and nitrous Outlet, it's a lot more complicated than you made it seem. I was told that adjusting the timing is a must. no idea how that would be accomplished seeing as how there doesn't seem to be anything compatible with our ecu's. the second main problem being the 2015 5.0 L V8 has an electronic throttle body so there's no way for the WOT switch to be connected since the throttle body isn't mechanically operated once again having to rely on some sort of ECU solution.

Roc

Been here awhile...
after reading quite a few of your posts I must admit you really got my hopes up to getting a NOS kit. However after a lot of digging and research and speaking to techs at Holley, Summit, and nitrous Outlet, it's a lot more complicated than you made it seem. I was told that adjusting the timing is a must. no idea how that would be accomplished seeing as how there doesn't seem to be anything compatible with our ecu's. the second main problem being the 2015 5.0 L V8 has an electronic throttle body so there's no way for the WOT switch to be connected since the throttle body isn't mechanically operated once again having to rely on some sort of ECU solution.
Based on your information, I called NOS Express again and they stand by what I originally stated. Protron Sys #20422-10 , plus #16190 fuel line will handle the 50-75 boost. The system is connected by one line to the main induction tube and has no problem with the vehicle having a electronic throttle body( as do Mustangs). Your timing point is well taken, however, that higher octane fuel is need, even though the engine runs on 87, unfortunately, when u use 93, the computer automatically adjusts to that with a limited Hp & timing boost. This must be counter acted by adding Torco fuel additive to your tank. NOS says only a small amount is needed per tank full. They cannot release individual names, but said a few Gen owners have bought the system. Wish they were on line with our site. System quoted is $603.00 with possible lower price @ Summit. Also said that since the ecu over fuels the engine at high rpm, helps keep things cool. A good rod shop that uses NOS systems for Fords would not have a great problem installing it.

2015genesisNewbie

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I guess Nitrous Outlet agrees to disagree with Nitrous Express LOL. me personally I just want to get as much information as I can and put a nitrous kit on my car without destroying it😂¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2015genesisNewbie

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Based on your information, I called NOS Express again and they stand by what I originally stated. Protron Sys #20422-10 , plus #16190 fuel line will handle the 50-75 boost. The system is connected by one line to the main induction tube and has no problem with the vehicle having a electronic throttle body( as do Mustangs). Your timing point is well taken, however, that higher octane fuel is need, even though the engine runs on 87, unfortunately, when u use 93, the computer automatically adjusts to that with a limited Hp & timing boost. This must be counter acted by adding Torco fuel additive to your tank. NOS says only a small amount is needed per tank full. They cannot release individual names, but said a few Gen owners have bought the system. Wish they were on line with our site. System quoted is $603.00 with possible lower price @ Summit. Also said that since the ecu over fuels the engine at high rpm, helps keep things cool. A good rod shop that uses NOS systems for Fords would not have a great problem installing it.
am I correct about the timing though? It would be impossible to adjust timing since our ecu's are for the time being untunable? (2nd gen)

Roc

Been here awhile...
According to NOS Express. Not a problem. Said that with the over rich mix the current ecu is currently running w/o mods, a 50 boost would probably be ok without doing anything. The ecu can only advance so far with its built in design parameters. That is why the Torco for higher shots as added protection. But you would test it on a dyno and see what the ratios are at each boost before going out and running it. Again see the you tubes at "Turbo or Supercharging" site. Might put you and others at ease.

Genesis Model Type
"Your timing point is well taken, however, that higher octane fuel is need, even though the engine runs on 87, unfortunately, when u use 93, the computer automatically adjusts to that with a limited Hp & timing boost."
can you please explain in further detail. I don't understand.

Genesis Model Type
thank you for the specific part numbers and taking the time to call and re-confirm your initial information. I won't let it go to waste!

Genesis Model Type
According to NOS Express. Not a problem. Said that with the over rich mix the current ecu is currently running w/o mods, a 50 boost would probably be ok without doing anything. The ecu can only advance so far with its built in design parameters. That is why the Torco for higher shots as added protection. But you would test it on a dyno and see what the ratios are at each boost before going out and running it. Again see the you tubes at "Turbo or Supercharging" site. Might put you and others at ease.
What's your take on wet or dry system? At first I was leaning towards dry. Then I was leaning towards wet. But you keep stating it's over rich so would a dry system be better? I feel like if it's already rich, a wet system would make it even more rich!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.