• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Proximity Card Key?

TinsleyC

Registered Member
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Regarding the hard key, this may sound a little cheesy but can't I take the hard key out of my key fob and simply keep that on my key ring? It's small and lightweight compared to the key fob itself, but it does have a large head on it.

I'm assuming the key that goes with the electronic fob is a physical key that goes on your key ring.

Kraig Wilkinson

SUSTAINING MEMBER
New Jersey now live in South Dakota
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Regarding the hard key, this may sound a little cheesy but can't I take the hard key out of my key fob and simply keep that on my key ring? It's small and lightweight compared to the key fob itself, but it does have a large head on it.

I'm assuming the key that goes with the electronic fob is a physical key that goes on your key ring.
I am curious about that as well?

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

TinsleyC

Registered Member
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
You have it correct, I do carry keys and will continue to do so.

I was not aware the physical key designed for the card fit inside the card, I thought it just came with the card as a physical key to be on a key ring.

Kraig Wilkinson

SUSTAINING MEMBER
New Jersey now live in South Dakota
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I am not understanding your question.

the Smart card has its own physical key that stores inside the smart card, you don't have to have it cut, you can leave it as a blank and carry the key from your regular fob if you want.

to me it defeats the purpose. I have no keys and have no desire to carry keys. My house is all smart locks, the car is smart locks, everything is keyless. but I guess if you have to carry keys then it isn't a big deal.
Thanks for the info Mr Incredible. I carry keys and have been trying to get away from keys. I am not well educated on these matters . 👍

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Vpops

Fyi there a number of aftermarket key fob replacement options availible for significantly less (over a hundred $) than dealer prices which include programming instructions, clearly a profit center for the dealer.

tissle

Getting familiar with the group...
@Mr. Incredible How do you lock / unlock the car with the smart key? Do the smart key have physical lock/unlock buttons?

@Vpops Can you post some links to the aftermarket key fob replacement options?

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums