Retrofiting a UNAVI Navigation System

Are you interested in retrofitting your OEM Navigation System over to a UNAVI System

• Total voters

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Hi Steve, where do you mount the Garmin when you are using it? I'm assuming that you use the suction cup mount.

I'm guessing that if it's stuck on to the existing NAV screen, you wouldn't be able to access the audio controls on the touch screen. I'd like to stay away from sticking it on the windshield.

Thanks, RonJ
I have a Garmin GPS for my 2009 Genesis that I paid about $90 for (on sale). It comes free lifetime quarterly map updates. I use the Garmin bean-bang mount and it sits on top of my dash (when I need it) just to the right of the instrument cluster where the dash starts to flatten out. Much more convenient (and safer) there than in the normal built-in GPS position. When I don't need it, I just move it the passenger seat and cover with a black towel (I have black interior). Might be a little less convenient if I had a passenger in that seat, but I usually don't.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I doubt that David Garcia gives a damn who has a beanbag on his dash.
No, but Ron J asked about how a Garmin was mounted. I wonder why you didn't jump on Ron J for being off-topic before you jumped on me?

BTW, it is not a generic beanbag, but a Garmin bean bag mount.

PMCErnie

Registered Member
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Here's the point. A manufacturer comes to our group with an offer to help us, by innovating a product to meet our needs. However, some of us chose to ignore that to chat about other topics. I wouldn't blame David Garcia if he said to hell with us.

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota
I'd say this thread was hi-jacked around post #18. Shouldn't be a problem, obviously readers were interested in the posting.

Thanks for your input on it Mark. ..... RonJ
Here's the point. A manufacturer comes to our group with an offer to help us, by innovating a product to meet our needs. However, some of us chose to ignore that to chat about other topics. I wouldn't blame David Garcia if he said to hell with us.
+1

Thread starter #28

CarLightTrends

Registered Member
Thank you Gentlemen and know that we are back on track if anyone has any questions please feel free and ask.

baltojeff

Registered Member
David:

Firstly, thank you for bringing this to us as a possibility.

Second, I have a 2011 4.6 Genesis Sedan with the DIS. I was rather disappointed with several features of the DIS, not least of which was a mediocre GPS system, no bluetooth audio streaming, limited media playback, no apps integration and pricey map updates.

I am interested in the X5 that you offer and I have read through your brochure on your website. I have a few questions:

1) The DIS utilizes a control wheel and no touch screen. I have actually come to like the wheel, but is the intent to replace it entirely with a touch screen or retain both the wheel and the touchscreen as input methods?
2) Many of the features listed in the X5 brochure claim to "retain" some functionality. Does this mean that your intended system would only utilize the existing items, or would replace them with newer better functionality? Especially BlueLink (that I don't have) and Bluetooth (that has limited functionality).
3) Is Android/IOS app integration a part of the proposed X5 solution?
4) The iGO Primo basis for your solution still requires purchased map updates. What are the current prices for these and how often are they updated? Is there a lifetime option?
5) What are the phone integration options? I couldn't find much on the brochure. Phonebook? Multiphones?
6) Lastly, NNG that provides the iGO system doesn't seem to have updated their website for quite some time. Are they still a viable company?

I look forward to your responses. Thank you.

Last edited:
Thread starter #30

CarLightTrends

Registered Member
David:

Firstly, thank you for bringing this to us as a possibility.

Second, I have a 2011 4.6 Genesis Sedan with the DIS. I was rather disappointed with several features of the DIS, not least of which was a mediocre GPS system, no bluetooth audio streaming, limited media playback, no apps integration and pricey map updates.

I am interested in the X5 that you offer and I have read through your brochure on your website. I have a few questions:

1) The DIS utilizes a control wheel and no touch screen. I have actually come to like the wheel, but is the intent to replace it entirely with a touch screen or retain both the wheel and the touchscreen as input methods?
2) Many of the features listed in the X5 brochure claim to "retain" some functionality. Does this mean that your intended system would only utilize the existing items, or would replace them with newer better functionality? Especially BlueLink (that I don't have) and Bluetooth (that has limited functionality).
4) The iGO Primo basis for your solution still requires purchased map updates. What are the current prices for these and how often are they updated? Is there a lifetime option?
5) What are the phone integration options? I couldn't find much on the brochure. Phonebook? Multiphones?
6) Lastly, NNG that provides the iGO system doesn't seem to have updated their website for quite some time. Are they still a viable company?

I look forward to your responses. Thank you.
baltojeff

If I can ask you and the other members here do all Tech DIS Systems not come with A2DP (Audio Streaming) I do know that the Premium Touch Screen Navigation System do have this option.

I'll answer your questions in order:

I would say that there is a good chance that it will only be a touch screen, but until we begin testing its hard to answer.

The UNAVI System retains all the OEM functions that are present (XM, Bluetooth, Steering Wheel Controls, USB Ports etc etc) now we are looking to adding some features like A2DP and a few others, but I do not think Bluelink will be one of them. Again untill we begin testing I can not answer this.

Yes both are currently supported, and function perfectly.

The initial map is included, after that you can update yearly through www.naviextras.com you can find pricing is rather reasonable at only $59.95 for the 2013 Q3 update.

Again this is hard to answer until we begin testing.

Yes all world maps are being handled by naviextras.com

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
If I can ask you and the other members here do all Tech DIS Systems not come with A2DP (Audio Streaming) I do know that the Premium Touch Screen Navigation System do have this option.
I would double check your info on the Premium Package with Touch Navigation, since its features might have changed over the years. I believe it was first introduced in 2010 (2009 Premium Package did not have Nav). The Tech Package systems may have also changed.

Thread starter #33

CarLightTrends

Registered Member
I would double check your info on the Premium Package with Touch Navigation, since its features might have changed over the years. I believe it was first introduced in 2010 (2009 Premium Package did not have Nav). The Tech Package systems may have also changed.
Thank you Mark_888

Any members here can validate that the 2009 Premium does not have the Touch Screen Navigation.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Thank you Mark_888

Any members here can validate that the 2009 Premium does not have the Touch Screen Navigation.
I am absolutely sure that Premium Package did not include any Nav in 2009. It was only a $2k upgrade over Base Trim and included the following (maybe some other minor features that I don't recall):
  • 18" wheels
  • Moonroof
  • Power tilt/telescope steering wheel
  • 14-speaker Lexicon audio system
What I am not sure about is exactly when the touch screen Nav was included in the Premium Package (2010 or 2011).

Thread starter #35

CarLightTrends

Registered Member
All members I've got some good news, we are moving forward with the development of the retrofit system. We will need the following two cars for testing:

2009+ Tech DIS equipped Genesis Sedan
2010+ Premium Touch Screen Genesis Sedan

We are located in Brea California, the members that would like to help us out please contact me directly, if you are out of the area contact us just the same so I can go into details as to what we will need.

Again I'm very excited about and I really hope that the member base here can help us make this retrofit system a reality.

shagnat

Registered Member
I love the east coast where I live......... but for this, wouldn't it be great if I lived on the left coast?!

I'd volunteer my '10 in a heartbeat!

Advocate225

Registered Member
Philadelphia
I am absolutely sure that Premium Package did not include any Nav in 2009. It was only a $2k upgrade over Base Trim and included the following (maybe some other minor features that I don't recall):
  • 18" wheels
  • Moonroof
  • Power tilt/telescope steering wheel
  • 14-speaker Lexicon audio system
What I am not sure about is exactly when the touch screen Nav was included in the Premium Package (2010 or 2011).
I have a 2009 Premium Genesis and there wasn't factory navigation. That would have required an additional $2000 cash outlay. The listing of include upgrades is correct as shown.

bobmarley421

Getting familiar with the group...
Just saw your system for the first time. Now the x5 system is for any Genesis that came without the factory navigation unit correct? So If my 2009 sedan came with the basic 7 speaker system no premium or tech pkg the X5 would work correct? Thanks.

Let me be your test vehicle!

All members I've got some good news, we are moving forward with the development of the retrofit system. We will need the following two cars for testing:

2009+ Tech DIS equipped Genesis Sedan
2010+ Premium Touch Screen Genesis Sedan

We are located in Brea California, the members that would like to help us out please contact me directly, if you are out of the area contact us just the same so I can go into details as to what we will need.

Again I'm very excited about and I really hope that the member base here can help us make this retrofit system a reality.
Hello David, first let me introduce myself. My name is Howard and I'm well known in the southern California Genesis Coupe community (I'm a long term Hyundai enthusiast; 1989 Sonata GLS, 2009 Sonata Limited V6) and my signature shows my present vehicles. I actually won a trip to South Korea last year to Hyundai H.Q. from the Hyundai Think Tank. I know Arvin (he actually did the PA reflash on my Coupe) and Miguel (took Miguel with me for a day at the track with Rhys Millen last year), and have been to the shop several times; in fact, I'm shocked that neither of them told you to get in contact with me! Let me know when you want me to bring it in and I'll be there!!! :D

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.