• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Spyshots of 2021 G70 facelift

ECF

Registered Member
I don't think anything is confirmed but I think it's a good guess that we'll see the G70 with updated engines in 2021. Looking at engine production usage in the near term, in the mainstream Hyundia and Kia brands, the NA 2.5L is already in production on the 2020 Sonata and the Turbo is going to production late this year (Sonata N and Optima/K5? Turbo) and on the Genesis side the GV80 is confirmed to get the new engines along with the G80 and according to the website below, the GV70 is rumored to share the same powerplants at release. It seems reasonable to think that H/K/G wants to phase in the 2.5L as quickly as possible as that would not only improve product performance across the fleet, but it would also simplify supply chain, manufacturing, operations, and improve economies of scale if they were to focus on procurement and assembly of one 4 cylinder engine.

From an image perspective it would also look weird for Genesis if their sportiest offering (G70) was using a legacy engine that get out-sprinted in the 0-60 by the new 4 cylinder in the midsize sedan and SUV's.

Genesis GV70 Spied, To Have Sportier Look - Korean Car Blog

Glaz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I don't think anything is confirmed but I think it's a good guess that we'll see the G70 with updated engines in 2021. Looking at engine production usage in the near term, in the mainstream Hyundia and Kia brands, the NA 2.5L is already in production on the 2020 Sonata and the Turbo is going to production late this year (Sonata N and Optima/K5? Turbo) and on the Genesis side the GV80 is confirmed to get the new engines along with the G80 and according to the website below, the GV70 is rumored to share the same powerplants at release. It seems reasonable to think that H/K/G wants to phase in the 2.5L as quickly as possible as that would not only improve product performance across the fleet, but it would also simplify supply chain, manufacturing, operations, and improve economies of scale if they were to focus on procurement and assembly of one 4 cylinder engine.

From an image perspective it would also look weird for Genesis if their sportiest offering (G70) was using a legacy engine that get out-sprinted in the 0-60 by the new 4 cylinder in the midsize sedan and SUV's.

Genesis GV70 Spied, To Have Sportier Look - Korean Car Blog
Well the 2.5T was confirmed for the G70 when the journalist went to go test the Sonata N-Line so that’s a fact. Also the 3.5T has also been confirmed for the GV80 so knowing them it will be in the G70. Also we’ve seen spy shots of the G70 with the 2.5T exhaust and the 3.5T exhaust outlets.

Glaz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
^ I simply cannot see Genesis maintaining a 3.3T and a 3.5T. It's an involvement. So once the 3.5T starts hitting vehicles (GV80)...that 3.3T is a goner. As such...I am willing to bet the G70 will get the 3.5T as the bigger engine.
Oh no doubt I even think it’ll be cancelled sooner for the Genesis brand. G90 could even get the new 3.5T replacing both the 3.3T and the 5.0 NA. Also it makes more sense because the new engine is supposed to be my fuel economical compared to that if the current one. Also they needed to beat the rivals in that playing field as well.

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Oh no doubt I even think it’ll be cancelled sooner for the Genesis brand. G90 could even get the new 3.5T replacing both the 3.3T and the 5.0 NA. Also it makes more sense because the new engine is supposed to be my fuel economical compared to that if the current one. Also they needed to beat the rivals in that playing field as well.
I think they'll still offer a V8 for the G90. It's somewhat of a staple for luxury barges because of how smooth a V8 will run. Might be old thinking, but the customer base for these cars are generally older anyways

Glaz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I think they'll still offer a V8 for the G90. It's somewhat of a staple for luxury barges because of how smooth a V8 will run. Might be old thinking, but the customer base for these cars are generally older anyways
One of the heads of Genesis confirmed the V8 is going to go out of production which is why we don’t see it in the GV80. Also the engine they use is old and out of date. You make more HP out of smaller displacements and better fuel economy. Plus the 3.5T is said to have almost similar HP to the V8 so what’s the point in having it.

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
One of the heads of Genesis confirmed the V8 is going to go out of production which is why we don’t see it in the GV80. Also the engine they use is old and out of date. You make more HP out of smaller displacements and better fuel economy. Plus the 3.5T is said to have almost similar HP to the V8 so what’s the point in having it.
Well I suppose I'll just eat my words on that one :owned:

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I am more excited for the 2.5T vs the 3.5T as well. Only because now the loaner cars won't be so slow! :p

I was just forced to upgrade my 2019 G70 3.3T Sport to a 2020 G70 3.3T Sport so I will be pissed if the 3.5T is out soon. My guess though is the facelift and upgrades will be as MY2022 and available early (June-ish) 2021. Maybe I can get a good deal trading the 2020 in...

Glaz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I am more excited for the 2.5T vs the 3.5T as well. Only because now the loaner cars won't be so slow! :p

I was just forced to upgrade my 2019 G70 3.3T Sport to a 2020 G70 3.3T Sport so I will be pissed if the 3.5T is out soon. My guess though is the facelift and upgrades will be as MY2022 and available early (June-ish) 2021. Maybe I can get a good deal trading the 2020 in...
I’ve been thinking of the time frames for the models as of late. Due to the reveal of the GV80 US spec being revealed at the Super Bowl, I thought that the Detroit auto show is where the G80 will get unveiled. Then GV70 around October/November then G70 around early January time frame like they did for GV80.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Is it confirmed that the 21 will have a 3.5T? If so, boo. I really like my 3.3, but more power and better mpg is always welcomed.

Not that I'll trade up since I've already sunk a bunch of cash into mods and I dont foresee me getting another Genesis if the dealerships stay as they are. I'll go back to the German brands.

I hear you. But, you can always sell your aftermarket parts. It's what I'll probably do when I decide to change cars.

I have considered the 2020 M340i... The B58 is a very nice engine, and that car's AWD is very similar to ours. It's tempting...but, I feel like every BMW looks the same. :/

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums